Court SQ 7 station closed for 2 months and a half plus no (7) service between TS-QBP for 11 weekends

Abba

Yeah, I get that the St. Pat's Day parade is a big deal. The point still remains that Flushing riders were not completely isolated from the rest of the subway system. They just had to leave a bit earlier to get to the parade. Inconvenient? Yeah. Impossible? Hardly.

Wasn't a problem for me at all. I was in the area (didn't actually watch the parade, saw RENT instead) and I came out just fine.

And like I said before, regardless of whatever event, parade, festival, etc. is going on in the city, the (MTA) needs to get their construction projects done wherever possible before the warmer months roll in. I'd rather they do this during the winter and not the summer when the Mets are in town or during the US Open at Flushing Meadows. Besides, this particular service disruption is ending on the 2nd.

Good point on wanting stuff done before the warm weather months where possible. It just happens this year was and next year will be a case where the St. Patrick's Day Parade is on a Saturday (next year because 3/17 is a Sunday) and given how big the parade is, an exception should have been made for that due to the number of people who come into Manhattan for it (NYC is the one city ironically enough where the St. Patrick's Day Parade is never on a Sunday whereas most major cities have theirs on the Sunday before the actual day to avoid business interruption).

I don't think MLB intervened when it came to the timing of the (7)'s G.O.'s. I remember plenty of weekends when the (4) ran local in Manhattan when the Yankees were in town.

Not the same as the Mets situation:

The (4) was running local in Manhattan PLUS the (D) also runs there, so that is NOT the issue you have in Queens with the (7), and only the (7) running to Shea. Even if the (4) is out, the (D) is closeby along most of the Bronx portion plus shuttle buses if needed could operate to/from 149th to meet the (2)/(5).

MUCH different from CitiField.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a clip I took of the station:

@Bstar, likely because most of these idiots of LIC were way too in a Rush to get things open, the MTA just had to open it up, while finishing other things later,

Guest Lance

This isn't the first time they've prematurely reopened a rehabbed station. If I recall correctly, some of the Pelham stations were also reopened while the windscreens weren't finished yet. Also, look at Bleecker St. The southern extension of the northbound platform was opened last week with unfinished tile work and an incomplete mezzanine. It all depends on how far along the work is and how safe the area would be for passengers. They can get away with reopening a station at 90% completion as long as there is no danger to the riding public.

Archived