New York City Subway Route Riddles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool.

This is a general reminder to please only post only one answer per riddle.

Anyways, this is my riddle:

My name makes me part of the royal family. Who would have though, that I'm actually popular. The only thing that distinguishes me from the others, is the service that stop here. Not all services may stop full time. Not all service will always act the same. But at my prime time of day, everything passing through is an express.

Franklin Ave 2,3,4,5

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

No to all. The answer was Queensboro Plaza (and looking back at the riddle, I might understand why nobody chose that as an option). During the rush hour, all service are an express (the (N) in Brooklyn, the (Q) in Manhattan, the <7> (which falls under the (7) ) in Queens. Sorry if that made any significant change into your original response. Anyone can go now.

In the HEIGHTS, you won't be able to miss this station, as it'll seem like the tallest station in the city. It used to be served be 2 siblings, but now only one remains.

This was probably a bit too easy IMO...

The tallest could also mean the highest. The highest station in the system is Smith-9th but that's in Gowanus/Park Slope with (F)(G), 2 siblings.

The other is 125 & Bway. (1) & (9), 2 siblings until  (9) was cut. But 125 isn't in Washington HEIGHTS. Washington Heights doesn't have any visible subway structures. Neither does Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Heights or Dyker Heights in Brooklyn. Sutter Ave-Rutland Rd is more Brownsville than Crown Heights and it's not what would be considered tall. plus it also hosts all 4 IRT trains during various points throughout the day. The  (4) In The Bronx Fordham  isn't visible from University Heights, or from Morris Heights (except On University Ave from one point around 175t), when the  (4) is in Tremont. Jerome only has one line today. I don't know if it ever had two in its past. Riverdale overlooks the  (1) on Broadway. I wonder if you mean that kind of 'HEIGHTS'?

I'm gonna go with (1)(9) from Morningside Heights.

The tallest could also mean the highest. The highest station in the system is Smith-9th but that's in Gowanus/Park Slope with (F)(G), 2 siblings.

The other is 125 & Bway. (1) & (9), 2 siblings until  (9) was cut. But 125 isn't in Washington HEIGHTS. Washington Heights doesn't have any visible subway structures. Neither does Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Heights or Dyker Heights in Brooklyn. Sutter Ave-Rutland Rd is more Brownsville than Crown Heights and it's not what would be considered tall. plus it also hosts all 4 IRT trains during various points throughout the day. The  (4) In The Bronx Fordham  isn't visible from University Heights, or from Morris Heights (except On University Ave from one point around 175t), when the  (4) is in Tremont. Jerome only has one line today. I don't know if it ever had two in its past. Riverdale overlooks the  (1) on Broadway. I wonder if you mean that kind of 'HEIGHTS'?

I'm gonna go with (1)(9) from Morningside Heights.

Yep, it was 125th on the (1)(9). I was going by Google Maps, which said that 125th Street was on the northern border of Morningside HEIGHTS and the southern border of Harlem, so yeah. It's your turn, you can pass or go.

I want to go to The Bronx to a particular station whose last stop is named a street and a place where people go to relax and do activities in during the day. I live in Coney Island but I'm going to work. I arrive at 330AM. What's the quickest way to get to that Bronx station? What station is it? What will my arrival time be?

(D) to 59th Street for the (1) to 242nd Street should be faster.

During late nights? The (Q) is the straightest one to Manhattan, and does not go into Lower Manhattan. 

EDIT: It depends:

You enter at 3:30 AM, you wait for the 3:36 AM (Q), which leaves you at 42 Street at 4:31 AM. If you're at the right exit at 42 Street, you could make the 4:32 AM, arriving Van Cortlandt Park at 5:10 AM (and that's if the (Q) train isn't late, or if the (1) isn't early). If you don't make the 4:32 AM, you have to take the 4:52 AM to 242 Street, which arrives at 5:30 AM.

If you take the (D) at 3:38 AM, you get to 59 Street at 4:36 AM. Going by the scheduled time, there's no time for you to catch the (1) , which also passes at 4:36 AM. So no matter what, you have to catch the 4:56 AM, which arrives at 5:30 AM. You have a better chance of getting to Van Cortlandt Park at 5:10 AM by taking the (Q) .

Ahhh! Someone did the research. The (Q) had the best chance of getting to Times Sq to catch that 432 (1) if things worked in your favor. The (D) & the  (1) arrive at 59th at 436 but it's further to get to the  (1) plat than from the (Q) to the (1) at Times.

What's really hard to fathom is why the 3 trains leave one minute after each other at Coney Is: (Q) at 336, (N) at 337 & (D) at 338.

Anyway, I was looking for arrival times of 514AM (if you were daring) or 532AM (if you missed the connection at 42nd or just played it safe) at 242nd St-Van Cortlandt Pk. BM5 came the closest and provided the correct station AND approximate arrivals.

Push or persue

It could also apply to 75th Avenue and Briarwood Van Wyck Boulevard on the (E) and (F) trains, along with New Utrecht Avenue / 62nd Street (D)(N) due to the (N) station reconstruction.

The thing is that it's not referring to whether a route is local or express on that segment, instead holisitically. All of those service are express services (they all have an express segment, or multiple express segments). 

DeKalb.

Correct, for the fact that the (R) is a local, and the other services stopping at DeKalb are express services. 

It's the midday.

You fell asleep on the express train.

You wake up and see an (S) train, so you know you overslept. You quickly get out onto the platform.

You do the math, and it turns out you needed to get out 8 stops ago to transfer to a Queens-bound local train.

That Queens-bound local would have taken to your stop, which has the same name no matter which (S) train you saw.

What are the two routes you may have taken?

Archived