MTA Bus Time has officially arrived to Staten Island

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, the 3G's are starting to show up on Bustime, so I guess they must be installing GPS's on the 3G's.

All I know is BOTH of the buses I tried tracking tonight were MIA... This one guy was trying to track the last X12 and he walked over and said that he didn't think the last bus was coming. I told him this guy always comes and sure enough he did, but the bus was "MIA" according to (MTA) Bus Time. Then I tried tracking the 21:24 S54 and that too was "MIA". He also came on time. Those NOVAs in particular seem to be a problem. This was 8011. The second NOVA that I've tried tracking on the S54 that came but was supposedly MIA... :( They need to do better than this. Why roll out a program if all of the buses aren't equipped with GPS yet?? Ridiculous! :mad:

All I know is BOTH of the buses I tried tracking tonight were MIA... This one guy was trying to track the last X12 and he walked over and said that he didn't think the last bus was coming. I told him this guy always comes and sure enough he did, but the bus was "MIA" according to (MTA) Bus Time. Then I tried tracking the 21:24 S54 and that too was "MIA". He also came on time. Those NOVAs in particular seem to be a problem. This was 8011. The second NOVA that I've tried tracking on the S54 that came but was supposedly MIA... :P They need to do better than this. Why roll out a program if all of the buses aren't equipped with GPS yet?? Ridiculous! :mad:

They are all equipped. Last week we had many problems with guys being called and being told to log on radio n farebox. Those guys were given direct orders to do so. Guess what, THEY ALREADY WERE! Turns out that the system has a few bugs to be worked out! some buses needed software upgrades and some needed the systems replaced alltogether!

Regarding the 7000s, I don't think any of them have had GPS units installed on them prior to the BusTime rollout on SI. I've checked both NextBus and the BusTime API and nothing shows up. I wonder if they are in the process of installing the system on these buses.

Every bus that was built after the 1200 series LFS Artic order have GPSs, they just arent activated.

They are all equipped. Last week we had many problems with guys being called and being told to log on radio n farebox. Those guys were given direct orders to do so. Guess what, THEY ALREADY WERE! Turns out that the system has a few bugs to be worked out! some buses needed software upgrades and some needed the systems replaced alltogether!

Funny thing, while I was at S.I with my mom yesterday, I overheard a B/O saying the same thing about the buses needing to get the system replaced or upgraded. What they all hate about the system and I'm pretty sure you would agree with this as well is that they are constantly being watched. Some of the recent Castleton arrivals (6007 and a few others) don't have the system.

When BusTime first started, the orion 5s were not showing up on the map but they've been working fine for awhile now.

BUT, there's an even bigger problem now. For many years, we had to deal with some serious breakdown & maintenance issues on staten island. Buses with major issues were pressed into service, most not making it a full run and thus the schedules provided by the MTA were never actually adhered to. Buses shown up at whatever time, early or late and hardly ever on time. Over time with the level II program, the NGs arrival, better maintenance, 4 depots, service finally reached a point last year[2011] where us staten islanders were seeing nearly full 100% service as expected.

But the schedules were still not being followed even with the buses lasting longer between breakdowns. Then comes BusTime where you can see where the buses are in relation to the schedule and BINGO! The bus operators are absolutely STRUGGLING to maintain the schedules, some are driving at snails pace while others have to be speed demons to keep time. It's because the schedules are ******* warped! I am led to believe that the MTA honestly had no clue as to the actual runtimes for their buses on staten island because of all the maintenance mishaps over the years, and the schedules haven't changed much at all since then. I sincerly hope they realize this is a major fault on Operation Plannings part, and not the bus operators and in result, make some deep changes to the schedules come April 2012 thanks to BusTime. /end rant

Well yesterday something very odd happened. I was tracking the S53 before heading to the stop. There was an 8XXX that went to PT RICHMOND then disappeared so I imagine he went back to the depot and then 4269 appeared by not immediately. Must've either come from the depot and started and logged in late or logged in after the first stop. Anywho, the real weird thing was tracking the X10... None of the express buses were available to be tracked for a while!! :mad: The X10 15:34 came as scheduled, but still... I tried tracking the X1 and X17 without success... :) Eventually later on I was able to, but the whole thing was weird. My guess is that they were doing some upgrades or something... I thought maybe it was because the buses were being detoured, but that wasn't the case...

When BusTime first started, the orion 5s were not showing up on the map but they've been working fine for awhile now.

BUT, there's an even bigger problem now. For many years, we had to deal with some serious breakdown & maintenance issues on staten island. Buses with major issues were pressed into service, most not making it a full run and thus the schedules provided by the MTA were never actually adhered to. Buses shown up at whatever time, early or late and hardly ever on time. Over time with the level II program, the NGs arrival, better maintenance, 4 depots, service finally reached a point last year[2011] where us staten islanders were seeing nearly full 100% service as expected.

But the schedules were still not being followed even with the buses lasting longer between breakdowns. Then comes BusTime where you can see where the buses are in relation to the schedule and BINGO! The bus operators are absolutely STRUGGLING to maintain the schedules, some are driving at snails pace while others have to be speed demons to keep time. It's because the schedules are ******* warped! I am led to believe that the MTA honestly had no clue as to the actual runtimes for their buses on staten island because of all the maintenance mishaps over the years, and the schedules haven't changed much at all since then. I sincerly hope they realize this is a major fault on Operation Plannings part, and not the bus operators and in result, make some deep changes to the schedules come April 2012 thanks to BusTime. /end rant

Care to give some examples?? I'm curious as which routes this is on?

My question is why did you type so big? It's like ur yelling. But on the topic of breaking down buses, I wouldn't know since the last time a bus broke down on me was like, so many years ago I don't know. About the schedules, I have yet to see a problem since every bus I take comes on time.

I heard this story about these two drivers who tried to go behind the panel on the older buses and clip the wires so they wouldn't be tracked. Didn't end so well in their favor....

They must be doing something they aren't supposed to be doing to go to such lengths. Also, wouldn't that qualify as vandalism of transit property?

Basically, bustime is forcing the operators to run on time so even if the bus is fully packed with riders, they now have to drive much slower or even idle at stops to maintain the schedule. And on the other hand, there are certain runs where the operators were always late, and I've noticed that those buses are now on-time as well but they have to drive slightly faster.

They must be doing something they aren't supposed to be doing to go to such lengths. Also, wouldn't that qualify as vandalism of transit property?

My sentiments exactly... If they were adhering to the schedule as they should've been all along, they wouldn't have a problem with bus tracking. Some of them like to show up whenever and I do think some of them do it for spite so they can run empty. There is no way that a B/O doesn't know that he's running 10 minutes early. You get on and they're looking like oh you caught me as if they're playing cat and mouse... :) Can't do that no more and I love it. Yes, the schedules could be adjusted on some routes, but on Staten Island, esp. I think the B/Os certainly didn't help with buses coming on time because you have some that come as scheduled, others that come later and others that always run hot. It leads to terrible bus service overall, which is why I had basically stopped using transfers on Staten Island because you could never make any damn connections. Now however, I've made over 90% of my connections. Since Bus Time has come I've only missed one connection and that was because the B/O was a few minutes early and I didn't feel like running in the snow and ice and slipping on black ice and falling so I let him go since I knew another Victory Blvd bus was coming soon.

Basically, bustime is forcing the operators to run on time so even if the bus is fully packed with riders, they now have to drive much slower or even idle at stops to maintain the schedule. And on the other hand, there are certain runs where the operators were always late, and I've noticed that those buses are now on-time as well but they have to drive slightly faster.

Well just because the bus is fully packed doesn't mean they can suddenly now blow by all of the stops and run early... On time is on time... That's the way it's supposed to be. I don't see the big deal... Like I said, my commutes have been quicker overall. I was on an S53 that had to wait a Victory & Clove for a little bit and that was because another S53 had come before him. Them waiting at stops is good because it keeps the buses from being overcrowded and balances crowding. Him waiting allowed several people to get on that would've had to have waited for the next bus. If you're still making your connections on time and getting to your destination as scheduled then it's not a big deal at all. The other advantage is that now they'll be able to see if lines truly need more service or if buses are just not loading equally.

It's a very rare case that the B/O would manage to get ahead of schedule while he's packed with riders. That would either mean he left the terminal early or he floored it when he shouldn't have.

As far as having to floor it to avoid being late, I'm all for faster buses, but only if you can keep them consistantly fast (e.g. If the driver can keep the schedule while not driving recklessly, but not overly-cautious)

The other advantage is that now they'll be able to see if lines truly need more service or if buses are just not loading equally.

That's true as well.

That's true as well.

Speaking of service, tonight I decided to stop over at Shop Rite since the X10 was on a detour. We bypassed the service road stops and went straight to Slosson because of a problem by Richmond Rd. Pole was down on something. :) The detour has been lasting for hours for PT RICHMOND bound X10s and S53s. I was tracking the S53s today while getting ready to head over to the X10 and I noticed that the buses would disappear once they reached the area where they were detouring and then they would appear again over by Victory Blvd. Makes sense I suppose.

Anywho, since I only picked up a few bottles of Pellegrino and other small items and I figured I'd be waiting a bit for car service, I checked on the S48 and saw that it was coming and it was one of the 8XXXs which I prefer to take since there is room to stand. What a crowded bus for that time of night. :eek: They have one of those counters on the bus, so maybe they'll add a bus in there. They're pretty cheap with service so who knows. If they add a bus there, they'll probably cut a bus somewhere else. :(

Speaking of service, tonight I decided to stop over at Shop Rite since the X10 was on a detour. We bypassed the service road stops and went straight to Slosson because of a problem by Richmond Rd. Pole was down on something. :) The detour has been lasting for hours for PT RICHMOND bound X10s and S53s. I was tracking the S53s today while getting ready to head over to the X10 and I noticed that the buses would disappear once they reached the area where they were detouring and then they would appear again over by Victory Blvd. Makes sense I suppose.

Anywho, since I only picked up a few bottles of Pellegrino and other small items and I figured I'd be waiting a bit for car service, I checked on the S48 and saw that it was coming and it was one of the 8XXXs which I prefer to take since there is room to stand. What a crowded bus for that time of night. :eek: They have one of those counters on the bus, so maybe they'll add a bus in there. They're pretty cheap with service so who knows. If they add a bus there, they'll probably cut a bus somewhere else. :(

I wonder what route they detoured on. I mean, Narrows Road North is pretty much the only connection between the southern part of Clove Road (by Grasmere) and the northern part (by Sunnyside). I mean, they'd have to either go up one of those steep streets up to Grymes Hill and take Howard Avenue to Clove Road, or they'd have to take Targee Street all the way up, and then take the S52 route and come back down. :eek:

Either that, or maybe they just took the SIE to Slosson and backtracked. That would be simpler, but then everybody in South Beach/Grasmere is screwed.

That's the problem with that area of SI: All the hills make it hard to plan detours.

So what time was the S48 crowded at? They claim that adding service to meet guidelines doesn't have to be cost-neutral, but then again this is the same agency that lied about the X16, X18, and X29 being over $10 per passenger. B)

I wonder what route they detoured on. I mean, Narrows Road North is pretty much the only connection between the southern part of Clove Road (by Grasmere) and the northern part (by Sunnyside). I mean, they'd have to either go up one of those steep streets up to Grymes Hill and take Howard Avenue to Clove Road, or they'd have to take Targee Street all the way up, and then take the S52 route and come back down. :eek:

Either that, or maybe they just took the SIE to Slosson and backtracked. That would be simpler, but then everybody in South Beach/Grasmere is screwed.

That's the problem with that area of SI: All the hills make it hard to plan detours.

They actually turned from Clove Rd onto Targee Street and then backtracked taking Narrows Road South to the SIE and then came around that way, which means having to go all the way down by Fingerboard Rd again by the Verrazano... :) I was glad the X10 didn't do that crap. it just bypassed stops and went to Slosson, but in the past they've went to Slosson and then came back around on the SIE making all of the stops it bypassed and then came back to Slosson again and continued regular. :(

So what time was the S48 crowded at? They claim that adding service to meet guidelines doesn't have to be cost-neutral, but then again this is the same agency that lied about the X16, X18, and X29 being over $10 per passenger. B)

This was at 21:30 going towards the Ferry... And them lying about the cost per passenger costs?? I'm shocked... :(

1) They actually turned from Clove Rd onto Targee Street and then backtracked taking Narrows Road South to the SIE and then came around that way, which means having to go all the way down by Fingerboard Rd again by the Verrazano... :( I was glad the X10 didn't do that crap. it just bypassed stops and went to Slosson, but in the past they've went to Slosson and then came back around on the SIE making all of the stops it bypassed and then came back to Slosson again and continued regular. B)

2) This was at 21:30 going towards the Ferry... And them lying about the cost per passenger costs?? I'm shocked... :(

1) I'm still not understanding it, though. I guess they went back around through Lily Pond Avenue and then took the SIE to Slosson Avenue and backtracked to Clove Road.

2) On the evaluation of the service reductions, they said the X16, X18, and X29 had alternatives with too high ridership to evaluate (for instance, the X18 paralleled the S51, S74, S76 and S78, which all get thousands of riders a day, so it's hard to track whether 300 riders shifted to those routes). However, they also said they cost over $10 per passenger, when they all cost $8 and change.

Unless they think $8 is somehow greater than $10, which would explain why we're in this mess in the first place. :)

I mean, in that statement, they grouped them in with the X51 and X90, which did cost over $10 per passenger, but in that case, they shouldn't have been lazy and made it clear that those 3 routes were cheap to operate, but (supposedly) were cut because they had alternatives.

You can check the Evaluations of the Service Reductions in the Board Materials (I can't open PDF files, so I can't tell you what page that's on) and compare it with the numbers in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdGplTGJUVm9oZ25DT3JLRWRjbzZkT2c#gid=1

1) I'm still not understanding it, though. I guess they went back around through Lily Pond Avenue and then took the SIE to Slosson Avenue and backtracked to Clove Road.

Simple... Once you take the SIE down so far you can come around and meander about until you get over by Victory Blvd. There is no other way using the SIE and coming around.

2) On the evaluation of the service reductions, they said the X16, X18, and X29 had alternatives with too high ridership to evaluate (for instance, the X18 paralleled the S51, S74, S76 and S78, which all get thousands of riders a day, so it's hard to track whether 300 riders shifted to those routes). However, they also said they cost over $10 per passenger, when they all cost $8 and change.

Unless they think $8 is somehow greater than $10, which would explain why we're in this mess in the first place. :)

I mean, in that statement, they grouped them in with the X51 and X90, which did cost over $10 per passenger, but in that case, they shouldn't have been lazy and made it clear that those 3 routes were cheap to operate, but (supposedly) were cut because they had alternatives.

You can check the Evaluations of the Service Reductions in the Board Materials (I can't open PDF files, so I can't tell you what page that's on) and compare it with the numbers in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdGplTGJUVm9oZ25DT3JLRWRjbzZkT2c#gid=1

I wouldn't call it lazy. More like finding a way to make the number suite their needs.

1) But then how do they serve Grasmere? :confused:

2) True. I mean, their own numbers said that the routes warranted being kept, so they're hoping nobody notices that they fudged the numbers when trying to explain (in hindsight) why cutting the routes was justfied.

The X16 and X29 actually performed slightly better than the average express route, and the X18 performed only marginally worse.

Hey, all -- we really like the discussions going on here, and we need your help to keep improving the system. When things such as were described below happen, please give us detailed feedback as described here:

MTA Bus Time: Contact Us

Thanks!

YESS i agree!! Because one night i was coming home off the S79...and i take the S52 home because that comes faster than the S78 on hylan...so im at the bus stop checking out when it comes...and it shows no buses coming...im sitting here thinking wheres the bus...and the bus stop doesn't have the time schedule on it. then later a Nova LFS 8028 comes around 6:30...so i figure most of the buses dont have the bus time in them yet. and also i think the Orion VII 3g's dont have them either, because i havent seen any yet!

Archived