Staten Island Borough President Allocates $200,000 for transit improvements

Via Garibaldi 8

Man, 200k, that should be enough for one of these suckas! Should look good in blue and white...

short-bus.jpg

Seriously though, good to see them spending *something* on transit.

It's long overdue. For years Molinaro has done nothing but cry that Staten Island needs more service. "I need more buses". That's his favorite line. :) It's great that he's doing this for folks who don't have smart phones (esp. geared for seniors who rely on the local buses), but he and the other representatives on Staten Island need to allocate more money for bus service in general. They're very aware of our problems because many of us (particular express bus riders) are very vocal about the need for more service (particularly extended service) and we write to them regularly. The only one who has really been helpful in that regard was Congressman Vito Fossella who made numerous improvements for express bus service (i.e. HOV lane on the Gowanus) and also worked with the (MTA) to improve service during the Verrazano construction project. I will also say that Vincent Ignizio (R-South Shore) does a great deal for his constituents when it comes to trying to work w/the (MTA) to improve service. So far I haven't been all that impressed w/Grimm who I voted for. Seems like he's out of touch with the transit issues here and if anything he's only been catering to the South Shore. :mad:

I voted against McMahon for that very reason. I wanted him out after he did next to nothing to improve transportation on the North Shore and if Grimm continues with his ignorance on transportation, I'll be voting him out too. I don't give a rats' @ss about "future" projects. We need relief now. That new Goethals bridge may not be built for another 10 years and in the meantime what else is he doing?? :( I may write him again and ask for a personal sit down because he's wrote to me about some of the transit projects he's involved in but I'm concerned about the here and now for the North Shore because we've been neglected by the (MTA). I wrote to him back in December and am currently waiting a reply. I'm giving him some time since it's the new year and such.

So far I haven't been all that impressed w/Grimm who I voted for. Seems like he's out of touch with the transit issues here and if anything he's only been catering to the South Shore. :mad:

Yeah, the $200,000 would be better used for restoring some of the bus service. In any case, I don't think Grimm really had anything to do with the improvements in X22 service on the South Shore.

Not to mention that there are plenty of stops (and a lot of them major ones at that) without shelters that he should be addressing as well.

Yeah, the $200,000 would be better used for restoring some of the bus service. In any case, I don't think Grimm really had anything to do with the improvements in X22 service on the South Shore.

Not to mention that there are plenty of stops (and a lot of them major ones at that) without shelters that he should be addressing as well.

Where do you get your information from to make a comment like that????? :confused: He and Ignizio along with other politicians worked together on the X22 because complaints of the lost service from private operator.

http://www.silive.com/southshore/index.ssf/2011/04/expanded_bus_service_in_the_of.html

Man, 200k, that should be enough for one of these suckas! Should look good in blue and white...

short-bus.jpg

Seriously though, good to see them spending *something* on transit.

wow just too much cmon man. Not much to say so I won't comment much on SI I don't know that bus system well I always walk with a busmap every time I go there

Where do you get your information from to make a comment like that????? :confused: He and Ignizio along with other politicians worked together on the X22 because complaints of the lost service from private operator.

Expanded bus service in the offing for Staten Island's X22 | SILive.com

I thought it was just the South Shore politicians working on it, and Grimm represents the whole borough so I figured he wasn't too involved.

But if he was involved, then yeah why wasn't he pushing for better service island-wide? I mean, there are improvements that could be made in both the local and express buses on this side of SI.

I thought it was just the South Shore politicians working on it, and Grimm represents the whole borough so I figured he wasn't too involved.

But if he was involved, then yeah why wasn't he pushing for better service island-wide? I mean, there are improvements that could be made in both the local and express buses on this side of SI.

The article clearly says that he was. As far as why he wasn't pushing for better service island-wide, politicians act on the things when a lot of folks make a stink about it and there was enough noise made about losing that private line that the politicians down there had to act. The South Shore has more political pull anyway. I don't know what the deal is w/Debi Rose, but she is completely useless. Her and Matthew Titone both and Diane Savino cares only about the friggin' ferry which I don't use. :)

The article clearly says that he was. As far as why he wasn't pushing for better service island-wide, politicians act on the things when a lot of folks make a stink about it and there was enough noise made about losing that private line that the politicians down there had to act. The South Shore has more political pull anyway. I don't know what the deal is w/Debi Rose, but she is completely useless. Her and Matthew Titone both and Diane Savino cares only about the friggin' ferry which I don't use. :)

Geez, I know how to read.

And fighting for better service on the ferry isn't a bad thing (I mean, the 30 minute headways on the weekend mornings weren't around until like 5 years ago), but if they can do that, is it really that hard to try and get other small improvements (like weekend S93 service, using buses pulled off the S62, as well as getting the S83 implemented)?

There haven't been any real improvements on the ferry either, though.

Yeah well according to what I read about her mini project, she's tried to get quiet areas on the ferry and also get folks from smoking by the bus entrances which I can attest is extremely ANNOYING. Yet another reason I'm glad I don't take the ferry. Very few people that I ride with on the express bus smoke. I'm referring to the regulars at my stop. There's this one lady that used to take the X16 and now she waits at Manor and Forest for the X14 via the X30 from Randall Manor... Other than that nobody else which is great because I don't want my clothes smelling like that. Drives me crazy. :mad: But yeah, I haven't seen any increases in the frequencies in years... :)

Yeah well according to what I read about her mini project, she's tried to get quiet areas on the ferry and also get folks from smoking by the bus entrances which I can attest is extremely ANNOYING. Yet another reason I'm glad I don't take the ferry. Very few people that I ride with on the express bus smoke. I'm referring to the regulars at my stop. There's this one lady that used to take the X16 and now she waits at Manor and Forest for the X14 via the X30 from Randall Manor... Other than that nobody else which is great because I don't want my clothes smelling like that. Drives me crazy. :mad: But yeah, I haven't seen any increases in the frequencies in years... :)

you and I both hate the smoking

Expanded bus service in the offing for Staten Island's X22 | SILive.com

you guys are all missing one important group of players in the equation! Local 726 executive board was the ones who showed how implementing the "X22 A" would speed up service and they WOULDN'T have to spend any more money!!!!

Once Transit sees they dont have to spend any money they listen. It was Ignizio and company who then pushed for it!! I would put a lil wager on it that you might just see the same SUPER EXPRESS on the X17 next!! ^_^

you guys are all missing one important group of players in the equation! Local 726 executive board was the ones who showed how implementing the "X22 A" would speed up service and they WOULDN'T have to spend any more money!!!!

Once Transit sees they dont have to spend any money they listen. It was Ignizio and company who then pushed for it!! I would put a lil wager on it that you might just see the same SUPER EXPRESS on the X17 next!! ^_^

lol... Well then tell us why we can't get an S83 limited stop bus then??? Checkmate and I have made proposals to the (MTA) that could provide full limited stop service on the S53 and it would be cost neutral and they so far they won't bite. It would certainly be well used and is needed. It would help alleviate the bunching on the line and speed up the commute since the line is a big feeder line for the SIR, express buses and local buses.

lol... Well then tell us why we can't get an S83 limited stop bus then??? Checkmate and I have made proposals to the (MTA) that could provide full limited stop service on the S53 and it would be cost neutral and they so far they won't bite. It would certainly be well used and is needed. It would help alleviate the bunching on the line and speed up the commute since the line is a big feeder line for the SIR, express buses and local buses.

Im not doubting it would, but from what i see, the MTA dont look at local work the way they do express. Inbox me and I'll give u someone you could send your proposal to. Can't guarantee you much but i can try to help. Im no politician no bigshot union rep, but know a few people who might be able to help ya! BTW No checkmate! if I lose you lose too. without myself and the other drivers you can't ride all the nice buses we have! lol

Im not doubting it would, but from what i see, the MTA dont look at local work the way they do express. Inbox me and I'll give u someone you could send your proposal to. Can't guarantee you much but i can try to help. Im no politician no bigshot union rep, but know a few people who might be able to help ya! BTW No checkmate! if I lose you lose too. without myself and the other drivers you can't ride all the nice buses we have! lol

LOL... I was referring to Checkmatechamp13... He's a user on here. Yeah, I will do that later on when I get in tonight. I think I have the proposal on my other laptop at home.

Once Transit sees they dont have to spend any money they listen. It was Ignizio and company who then pushed for it!! I would put a lil wager on it that you might just see the same SUPER EXPRESS on the X17 next!! :(

You mean to tell me that Local 726 does other things besides allegedly burning Superintendents cars??

You mean to tell me that Local 726 does other things besides allegedly burning Superintendents cars??

Wow! that hurts! Never in my 12 years nor in the 30 plus other family members did on the job have i heard of Torching anyones cars.:tdown:o

This! The MTA has at the very least considered an S83 Limited between Mariner's Harbor and Bay Ridge but only as an alternative to the north shore rail. This is very strange because this is something that should be implemented ASAP, rail line or no rail line. Bustime blatantly proves that the S53 has serious bunching issues among other inconsistencies. I would like that e-mail as well!

They didn't consider anything. They just made that up as an example of what types of improvements they would make. I asked one of the women what was the deal with the S57A/B and S59A/B and why there was excess service along South Avenue, but no service out to Elizabeth, and she said that they just quickly made up stuff and it wasn't a serious proposal (they would have to refine it before it were actually implemented)

And looking back, I think the S53 is fine ending at Port Richmond. Splitting the S40 would take away a fast ride from Arlington/Mariners' Harbor/Elm Park to St. George, and it would make the S59 longer and more unreliable. Splitting the S46 would be better, but still you have the issue with making the S59 more unreliable. A few trips out to Mariners' Harbor wouldn't hurt (I guess send them out along the S46 route since it's more heavily used than the S40), but there shouldn't be any major changes to the physical routing of the S53.

They didn't consider anything. They just made that up as an example of what types of improvements they would make. I asked one of the women what was the deal with the S57A/B and S59A/B and why there was excess service along South Avenue, but no service out to Elizabeth, and she said that they just quickly made up stuff and it wasn't a serious proposal (they would have to refine it before it were actually implemented)

And looking back, I think the S53 is fine ending at Port Richmond. Splitting the S40 would take away a fast ride from Arlington/Mariners' Harbor/Elm Park to St. George, and it would make the S59 longer and more unreliable. Splitting the S46 would be better, but still you have the issue with making the S59 more unreliable. A few trips out to Mariners' Harbor wouldn't hurt (I guess send them out along the S46 route since it's more heavily used than the S40), but there shouldn't be any major changes to the physical routing of the S53.

That's called a consideration!

I brought up that map only to point out the S83 as the S53 is fine ending in Port Richmond and I do not agree with any splitting of the S40. Richmond Terrace only has 1 single traffic light between Port Richmond Av & South Avenue, and a consistent speed because it lacks twists & turns like the S46. Although routing the S83 via the S40 or S46 route would both yield passengers.

Wow! that hurts! Never in my 12 years nor in the 30 plus other family members did on the job have i heard of Torching anyones cars.:tdown:o

Relax bro, it probably happened a while ago. That was a little joke. But I know it happened. I know 2 guys that it happened to. One is a AGM here, the other was a GS here. Now I think he's at 100 street. They were both in staten island around the mid 90's.

Just when the transportation got a little better on Staten Island... Looks like I'll be moving in the next few months if all goes well to Riverdale, so I'll enjoy the bus tracking for now. I'll still be coming back though and looking to see where improvements can be made for Staten Island, since I'll still need service when I return and such, which will probably be every few weeks. :cool:

Archived