Opened the WRONG door!!

sirtiger

Cliffnotes: conductor opened the wrong side of the LIRR doors at penn station!

In all my years as a LIRR rider, this is the first time I ever seen this. Westbound into the morning commute into Penn Station track 18. Facing west, the doors typically open up on the right side.

As stated in the title, the conductor opened the door on the left side, the wrong side!! So one door was literally facing the wall to the staircase & people can't get out. The other door in my car had a massive gap with a metal barrier to the staircase. A few people jumped it & got off. Other onlookers comment its too dangerous to jump it. After a few minutes, the correct door opens up & the wrong side closes up.

This is a potential dangerous situation and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Yes its rare but I was rather shocked. I always assume there are safety features to prevent this.

Cliffnotes: conductor opened the wrong side of the LIRR doors at penn station!

In all my years as a LIRR rider, this is the first time I ever seen this. Westbound into the morning commute into Penn Station track 18. Facing west, the doors typically open up on the right side.

As stated in the title, the conductor opened the door on the left side, the wrong side!! So one door was literally facing the wall to the staircase & people can't get out. The other door in my car had a massive gap with a metal barrier to the staircase. A few people jumped it & got off. Other onlookers comment its too dangerous to jump it. After a few minutes, the correct door opens up & the wrong side closes up.

This is a potential dangerous situation and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Yes its rare but I was rather shocked. I always assume there are safety features to prevent this.

You press the door open button on that side the doors are gunna open no matter if there's something there or not. People make mistakes, I wouldnt think too much of it.

as a rider for many years, this is the first time I seen this. mistakes do happen & everyone is human. All it takes is one person to fall into the wide gap & this would be all over the news.

I was just kind of shocked too see it in person.

Imagine if this happened at Woodside or Forest Hills. It wouldn't be a mistake.

thats not as ambiguous as Penn Station's platforms which are on both sides of a track. That anyone can clearly see there's no platform there, don't put the key in on that side and press the open button.

See I don't really know how the platforms are @ Grand Central, so he had another platform on his other side. Make a mistake like that over on the subway side, Game over.

There is only one track @ GCT that has a platform on both sides. Track 102.

This happened on LIRR @ Penn Station, not GCT.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived