No Snow in New York, but a Wintry Mix of Opinion

Shortline Bus

"Where is the snow? That is the question swirling — unlike the white stuff — across New York City and its suburbs, where sidewalks have been relentlessly gray and yards stubbornly green this winter. After a decade of higher-than-average snowfalls, including last year’s snowiest January ever, nary a flake has fallen since the freak October storm.

The lack of wintry precipitation comes as a relief to many — no lost power, no snarled commutes, no lagoons of slush. The city, too, is saving on salt and overtime. But for others, the absence has upset the rhythms of the season, stealing the sense of giddiness and grace that accompanies a robust snow. And in what might be thought of as the snow-based sector of the economy — hardware stores, ski shops, snowplow services, even corner shoeshine stands — the drought has been exceptionally bad for business.

Making it even worse: After the generous helping of snow last winter — at 61.9 inches, more than double the annual average for the city — some businesses increased their inventories of snow-related merchandise."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/nyregion/no-snow-in-new-york-but-a-wintry-mix-of-opinion.html

well tonight(1/12/12) the midwest/chicago area got their 1st snowstorm for 2012 winter season of around 6-10 inches.

I still think we in the ny/northeast area will get at least '1' modrate snowstorm this season i.e at least 3-6 inches. Living in the region almost my entire life, in my memory only '1' winter season in 1994-'95 where there was almost no snow at all in metro NYC. That season if i remember we only had '1' smaller snow event of 2-4 inches and overall at most 10 inches that whole year.

So dont put away the snow boots and shovels yet.:eek:

I sure as hell am not missing it. Express bus service comes to a halt when it snows and I have to put on some bloody boots instead of a nice pair of Italian calfskin shoes. :) It's hard to stay stylish when it snows.

I remember that snowstorm last year.....all I saw were MCIs running around.

I sure as hell am not missing it. Express bus service comes to a halt when it snows and I have to put on some bloody boots instead of a nice pair of Italian calfskin shoes. :) It's hard to stay stylish when it snows.

Yeah I know. I mean you'd think they'd have come up with a stylish looking pair of boots by now.

I remember that snowstorm last year.....all I saw were MCIs running around.

I do too and I lucked out and got an X1 going to the city and an X10 coming back. There weren't running that great because coming back there was a line for the X1 that was unreal.

Yeah I know. I mean you'd think they'd have come up with a stylish looking pair of boots by now.

LOL... Well the women have stylish AND functional boots, but we men can't get anything stylish AND functional. I mean sometimes I buy Chukka boots from Italy that are stylish, but those aren't for the snow. I got a pair of American made boots this year just sitting in the closet, and while they're okay, they're not as stylish as I would like. More for function than anything.

Settle down ladies. Take your squabble back to the political thread.

Anyone else have to break out the ski masks/scarves today?

LMAO. :o at that comment. Even on a thread about weather we can't avoid politics.

Well the Indian Summer of winter is well over here in Dutchess. Tonight and Sunday Night (1/15-16/12)we going as low as 10 degrees.

Heh. I'm not a big fan of scarves either. Hate how it forms a bulge under anything you wear and it just looks to feminine for me.

Just give me a nice full winter hat and warm leather gloves(add in a hoodie during snow or very frigid and cold temps)and I am good to go. I am not of fan of scarves either.:eek:

Heh. I'm not a big fan of scarves either. Hate how it forms a bulge under anything you wear and it just looks too feminine for me.

My boss had the nerve to buy me a friggin' scarf for part of my Xmas gift. I've been working there for five years and I'm thinking when in the hell has she saw me wear a scarf?? You can imagine where that scarf went... :) All I need is one of my Canadian coats and a pair of my Italian gloves and I'm good to go. I don't do the hat thing unless it's like 10 degrees and even then I'll just wear one of my parkas with the hood on it and that works fine. Today for example I walked in the cold from 261st and Riverdale Avenue down to Spuyten Duyvil over by Johnson and 235th street walking around the neighborhood and didn't have my coat zipped all the way. Was perfectly fine since my coats are insulated. I'm used to the cold living up near Montréal for some years. :cool: Up there we would get 0 - 3 degrees F for the high, not including the windshield, so this isn't a big deal. What I don't get is why in the hell do people wear like 4 or 5 layers instead of just buying a coat that is INSULATED?? They do actually exist.

I sure as hell am not missing it. Express bus service comes to a halt when it snows and I have to put on some bloody boots instead of a nice pair of Italian calfskin shoes. ;) It's hard to stay stylish when it snows.

No calfskin shoes today....bring out the boots!!

Archived