New York City Bus Riddles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Son of a bitch, now I don't want to know.

Actually one more guess, the first one the S54. The other route the S53.

If I'm wrong than shit, fml, lol.

Nope and Nope. None pass through major medical hospitals, the S54 doesn't even have weekend service, and the S53's eastern stops aren't unique in any way at all, lol.

Non of them have a porked pig, either, lol.

The S53 runs 24/7.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead like that; I didn't want to create another thread (since this exist), but let's see if there's people still willing to play this. So I have a riddle:

To think I used to be in the underclass, now I'm a highly utilized route. I do not cover the entire corridor I operate on, but I cover the central portion of my main corridor (and street of operation). I will hate you during the rush hour, and do what I can to deceive you and mess your commute up, but hate you even more during late nights, so play your cards right. A lot of other routes wanna act like me once they see me, but I eventually make sure to veer them off course. I still may not get full respect by the higher-ups but you best believe one day I'm gonna receive it.

Times up! The anwser was the Q88. I'll explain it:

To think I used to be in the underclass, now I'm a highly utilized route.

Response: The Q88 was created in 1974 IIRC, and now has over 3 million annual riders. 

I do not cover the entire corridor I operate on, but I cover the central portion of my main corridor (and street of operation).

Response: The Q88 runs through the middle third of the LIE in Queens. The Q30 runs on the eastern third, while the Q67 more or less serves most areas along the LIE in the west.

I will hate you during the rush hour, and do what I can to deceive you and mess your commute up

Response: Buses are often really full, and it is not common for buses to not flag people (at least in the reverse peak direction). Also, there are trips during the AM and early PM hours to/from Horace Harding Expwy & Francis Lewis Boulevard, which is not on the Q88 route. These trips are not on the Q88 schedule (although they used to be displayed back in 2003).

but hate you even more during late nights

Response: There's no late night Q88 service

so play your cards right

Response: During the rush hour, you must go to the first stop in order to get on the bus (if you live west of Flushing Meadows). You'll be fine after Main Street, but to get on a bus, you must get on at Main Street (if you live between Flushing Meadows and Main Street). During late nights, there's no service, so either catch the last bus, or have an alternate route.

A lot of other routes wanna act like me once they see me, but I eventually make sure to veer them off course.

Response: There are several routes which run along the Q88. The most evident is the Q17, from 188 Street & 73 Avenue, until the Q17 separates from the Q88. The Q58 joins the Q88 from College Point to 108 Street. Some express routes, such as the QM10, QM11, QM12, QM40, and QM42 can also fit in.

I still may not get full respect by the higher-ups but you best believe one day I'm gonna receive it.

Response: The Q88 does not have artics, nor does it have limited-stop service. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone can now go. Lemme remind everyone about the rules (plus a new rule):

Similar to the NYCS Riddles Thread, this is about NYC buses.
Remember:
•One Riddle to be solved at a time
•One guess per member at a time
•Members have 24 hours to respond (NEW: + GRACE PERIOD, SEE BELOW)
•After 24 hours, another riddle will be posted (NEW: + GRACE PERIOD, SEE BELOW)
•After a person gets the answer, they go, and so on

NEW: THE RIDDLE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ABOUT A BUS ROUTE. IT CAN PERTAIN TO ANYTHING ABOUT NYC BUSES

NEW: FILL IN RIDDLES - Authors can give fill-in riddles for players to fill in the blanks correctly. No more than 5 fill-ins. 

GRACE PERIOD: If the 24 hours has gone by, but the original author of the riddle has not responded to someone whether his or her choice is correct or not, then nobody can go unless the grace period is up. This grace period ends 24 hours after the last post made prior to the original 24 hours given.

If you're confused, check below:

Scenario:

Let's say somebody posts something at 7:09 AM on Day 1

People keep guessing for the correct answer. The author responds to some riddles. However, other people respond. A member responds at 6:59 AM Day 2, but the author of the riddle does not get to it before the 24 hours are up. The author has until 6:59 AM on Day 3 to respond. However, if a second member posts at 7:08 AM on Day 2, the grace period is then extended until 7:08 AM on Day 3. After that, any member can post anything they would like.

Who am I?

I am a very confusing route.

I am express. I have a few cousins from the same area on one end that go back and forth to the same borough as me on the other end.

My cousins and I are identical on one end of the route except for one key thing that's happened to all of them but not me.

Who AM I?

Who am I?

I am a very confusing route.

I am express. I have a few cousins from the same area on one end that go back and forth to the same borough as me on the other end.

My cousins and I are identical on one end of the route except for one key thing that's happened to all of them but not me.

Who AM I?

X17?

There once were two of us a long time ago. He ran fairly quick. I ran kinda slow.
I ran north and south; he ran east and west, yet no one could figure who ran the best.
And although we both had exactly the same name, *we never did meet in the scheme of thangs.
He served the best clientele Manhattan could offer, running on the classiest of blocks to fill his coffers.
He ran aside a park and sorta close to museums, on full display so all could see him.

I kissed Miss 10 at the Times Sq. 'X' but that was the fullest extent of our unnatural sex.
Had two running mates to help pass the time but both went their way and I went mine.
From the bottom of Central to the hem of Liberty, I'd like to think it she who set me free.

Alas, it was budget cuts which doomed our stay; those nasty little snippets that always get final say.

Who are we?

*Memory is kinda sketchy on this. Could've met in midtown.

Archived