Amtrak to spend $764M on new locomotives, rail cars

mark1447

Amtrak will pay $466 million this year for 70 new locomotives to enhance the speed and reliability of rail service in the Northeast Corridor and invest $298 million on 130 new rail cars to serve the East Coast and Midwest.

The new equipment will be a major upgrade for a system that now operates with locomotives that are 20 to 30 years old and some sleeper cars that are 60 years old, Amtrak President Joe Boardman said in announcing the federally subsidized passenger rail line's plans for 2012.

Though the new locomotives will be somewhat faster and the new cars will be able to travel at higher speeds, Boardman said the more significant improvement would come in reliability.

After carrying a record 30.2 million passengers in 2011, Boardman said, Amtrak would continue upgrades to its 30-year-old reservation system and make improvements in New Jersey that will allow trains to reach speeds of 160 mph there.

That $450 million project and a $72 million investment to replace track in four tunnels under the East River into New York were described as initial steps toward building a high-speed rail system in the United States.

More here:

Amtrak spending: Amtrak to spend $764M on new locomotives, rail cars - baltimoresun.com

Amtrak will pay $466 million this year for 70 new locomotives to enhance the speed and reliability of rail service in the Northeast Corridor and invest $298 million on 130 new rail cars to serve the East Coast and Midwest.

The new equipment will be a major upgrade for a system that now operates with locomotives that are 20 to 30 years old and some sleeper cars that are 60 years old, Amtrak President Joe Boardman said in announcing the federally subsidized passenger rail line's plans for 2012.

Though the new locomotives will be somewhat faster and the new cars will be able to travel at higher speeds, Boardman said the more significant improvement would come in reliability.

After carrying a record 30.2 million passengers in 2011, Boardman said, Amtrak would continue upgrades to its 30-year-old reservation system and make improvements in New Jersey that will allow trains to reach speeds of 160 mph there.

That $450 million project and a $72 million investment to replace track in four tunnels under the East River into New York were described as initial steps toward building a high-speed rail system in the United States.

More here:

Amtrak spending: Amtrak to spend $764M on new locomotives, rail cars - baltimoresun.com

I wonder if the author/writer meant "Hudson River" instead of East River into NYC?:eek:

What happened to the those new Locomotives for the Regional. I forgot the model? Or is it this?

yea.. those 70 ACS-64's are them. they're been talking about this for ages now... idk why they would come out with another news article about something that's been in the news for over a year now. Seems kind of like redundant information.

btw, they released a cab mockup of the locomotive, which i conveniently linked to the locomotive's wiki page: Amtrak Cities Sprinter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2 weeks later...
I heard new natural gas locomotives will be available soon I think amtrak can benefit from em and other regonal rail providers.

I have heard nothing major on that, but I'm sure they're testing the technology. But as of yet, Progress Rail and GE have not officially announced any alternative fuel locomotive for the long haul passenger market yet.... only switchers and smaller locomotives.

• 2 months later...

Archived