Riverhead and the Museum

lilbluefoxie

Nice pics! That M1 set at Riverhead is in SO much better condition the the ones at Morris Park.

the ones at Riverhead are actually maintained, cleaned, and actually painted every now and then. I noticed at Riverhead they got new number boards for the sides.

The Morris Park ones I'm not sure who owns em, I have heard it was the Transit Museum. Noone maintains em, they just sit there.

There is a third surviving set of M1s by the way. It is located at the back of a Fire Training Academy in Old Bethpage.

Great photo's. I would like to go there one day, how do I get there off the l.i.e? 72? or what train goes there? the (A)?

Take the LIE to Exit 72, go on NY 25 EAST for a lil while, once you hit downtown riverhead htere will be a sign that says Train Museum or something like that, turn left on that street and the station and the museum is there. theres a big lot by the station with plenty of parking, time it right and you can see the Greenport trains.

The Museums fleet line is as follows

M1 Pair

P72 in silver

Some old baggage car

P72 in MTA colors

Some other coach that was a former sandite car in primer

P72 in red primer

behind that line theres a small yard with another P72 in MTA paint

and behind a fence theres an ALCO RS-3.

The actual museum building and stuff is across the street at the far end by the M1, inside theres model trains, some more railroad stuff, and some worlds fair train ride thing for little kids. When the Museum is open, you are able to go inside the M1 pair, as well as the silver P72 as there are steps to get up to them.

I honestly DON'T recommend using the LIRR to get there. The service is just too sparse to make it practical. You *may* be able to make it work during the week but thats about it.

LIRR weekday service would work, but the limited summer-only weekend service is just unworkable and requires bus rides to/from Port Jeff.

If you have a car its much easier to just drive there, get your photos and go. You can time it so you can see the Greenport train come and go as well.

M1's haven't gotten a paint at all! Only thing outside we did was remove the tags the locals applied to them. That area has a few minors that do vandalize our stuff from time to time. The interiors we apply some Armor All on the seats to keep them looking fresh, and also some floor cleaning too. Evenutally, we will be doing more to the exteriors of the M1's, but that is not a priority now!

M1's haven't gotten a paint at all! Only thing outside we did was remove the tags the locals applied to them. That area has a few minors that do vandalize our stuff from time to time. The interiors we apply some Armor All on the seats to keep them looking fresh, and also some floor cleaning too. Evenutally, we will be doing more to the exteriors of the M1's, but that is not a priority now!

thats what I meant, they cleaned and painted over the graffiti on them.

Also how did you get that locomotive shot at the Brookhaven rail terminal on trainsarefun.com? I drove past it on my way home from Riverhead and there wasnt really a good spot to park, and get out and walk near it.

Actually I did park my car on the South Service Road just past Sills Road where I got a clear shot right at it as they removed the dirt pile in order for me to take it!

I was too nervous to try that as I wasn't sure if Parking was permitted on the service road.

Archived