Blogger's Plan to Send L to United Nations

MTR Admiralty

The blog NY by dZine featured a post for a Crosstown L train:

The blogger intended to extend the L train to 23rd Street and 11th Avenue, via new tunnelling, and proposed to link that to the new station by Hudson Yards, in an original plan.

Now he wants to send the L, via 34th Street, 5th Avenue and 41st Street to United Nations. What are your thoughts?

tumblr_lv8gv6X2ps1r3aqywo1_r3_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1327186119&Signature=k4ZFN3wB6ZO%2FAETgvCg35djSWBM%3D

Original post

The blogger intended to extend the L train to 23rd Street and 11th Avenue, via new tunnelling, and proposed to link that to the new station by Hudson Yards, in an original plan.

Now he wants to send the L, via 34th Street, 5th Avenue and 41st Street to United Nations. What are your thoughts?

tumblr_lv8gv6X2ps1r3aqywo1_r3_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1327186119&Signature=k4ZFN3wB6ZO%2FAETgvCg35djSWBM%3D

Original post

Useless since the Second Avenue Subway (T) would have a stop a block away from the UN Building.

(starts laughing)

He would have a better argument chopping the (L) into two segments... a shuttle type segment from 3Av-8Av, and turning the existing service uptown after 1Av up 2nd Av to join the (Q) (a corridor not unlike the one at Court Sq connects the two). I can see that before I see the SAS Phase 4.

(finishes laughing)

(starts laughing)

He would have a better argument chopping the (L) into two segments... a shuttle type segment from 3Av-8Av, and turning the existing service uptown after 1Av up 2nd Av to join the (Q) (a corridor not unlike the one at Court Sq connects the two). I can see that before I see the SAS Phase 4.

(finishes laughing)

This is what 2-timer laugh sounds like right now after reading this blogger radical plan to extend the (L) line.

Guest lance25

What's wrong with transferring? The only thing on that map I'd support is an extension to 34th & 11th to meet the (7). Other than that, some people need to get off their lazy asses and walk.

Really?

There are so many things wrong with this proposal

First of all the trunk line is way too curved, which will slow down the traffic on one of the busiest lines in the city.

Second, the construction will be of extreme difficulty since it will go through the center of Manhattan and under existing lines. I doubt the city will approve such thoughtless project.

Third, who wants to go to UN using subway? Besides service personnel, all the diplomats travel by cars for safety reasons.

Last of all, where is the funding for it?

Thus everyone can forget about this "extension", at least for now.

IMO, Full length SAS > any other rapid transit extension

I like the map. I didnt read the blog

Really?

There are so many things wrong with this proposal

First of all the trunk line is way too curved, which will slow down the traffic on one of the busiest lines in the city.

Second, the construction will be of extreme difficulty since it will go through the center of Manhattan and under existing lines. I doubt the city will approve such thoughtless project.

Third, who wants to go to UN using subway? Besides service personnel, all the diplomats travel by cars for safety reasons.

Last of all, where is the funding for it?

Thus everyone can forget about this "extension", at least for now.

IMO, Full length SAS > any other rapid transit extension

Way too curved? LOL have you seen the existing line?

What's wrong with transferring? The only thing on that map I'd support is an extension to 34th & 11th to meet the (7). Other than that, some people need to get off their lazy asses and walk.

This I agree with. I've always thought of an (L) extension to 34th Street with the (7).

I mean, I do understand why the person may extend this. But I do have to say that this is too much dream than reality:

-Extending the (L) like that is really not cost-effective; I would perhaps simply extend the (7)

-Moreover, because of the engineering complexity, it would take forever to be built. Talk about tunneling near some of the tallest skyscrapers in the city - underpinning the ESB, anyone?

-There is already a plan for light rail on the 42nd Street corridor, and there are plans to extend the line to Penn Station (which was perhaps the original intention)

-The number of passengers headed to East Midtown from Penn Station would be somewhat reduced due to the ESA.

Connecting Grand Central and Penn Station is a good idea. As well as Chelsea Piers and the 7 train.

It will have some issues going under the stack at Herald Square, but if anything it can be cut short to Grand Central. Though if the 2nd Ave subway is actually extended south, a 1st-2nd Ave station would be useful.

I bet developers wouldn't have a problem with having service on the west side.

Original post

If the (7) and (L) should meet, it should be at 14 Street. The (7) already covers West 41 to West 26 Streets along 11 Avenue (the tunnels go that far south) and the (L) riders can already access all of the other stations via a transfer to any train.

Just to prove it the Second Avenue Subway does have a stop at 42nd Street and Second Avenue only a block away from the UN Building. I heard that there is a East Side Redevelopment Plan there. I guess that is the only thing that might be served by such a station, and there is a two blocks long passageway to Grand Central Terminal.

sas_map_lg.png

Just to prove it the Second Avenue Subway does have a stop at 42nd Street and Second Avenue only a block away from the UN Building. I heard that there is a East Side Redevelopment Plan there. I guess that is the only thing that might be served by such a station, and there is a two blocks long passageway to Grand Central Terminal.

sas_map_lg.png

By the time the MTA gets around to continue the Second Ave. Line that far south, and complete it, the U.N. might have new digs elsewhere. Any ideas about a (2) or (5) service extension to Lucerne, Switzerland? At least the orientation of the Brooklyn College/Flatbush Ave. terminal is approximately in the right direction to continue there.

(starts laughing)

(finishes laughing)

Having the (L) turn up 2nd Avenue to join the SAS is much better than his idea.

That said, I'll stick to my earlier view that if you're going to extend the (L), do it as a line that would meet up with the (7) at some point, either at the new (7) terminal OR at a new 41st Street-10th Avenue station (that would have a transfer between the (7) and (L)) that I would have as part of a 10th Avenue extension of the (L) that would terminate at 72nd/Amsterdam-Broadway under the (1)/(2)/(3) (obviously with a transfer to those lines) OR perhaps at 96th/Amsterdam with a transfer from there to the (1)/(2)/(3) that would re-activate the old stairwells to the (1)/(2)/(3) at 96th and Broadway (but ONLY as a transfer to the (L)) that were closed when the new entrance to the Broadway-7th Avenue line at 96th Street opened.

If you're going to have a train join the SAS from the Eastern Division, I would do that via Chrystie and the Williamsburg Bridge from the Broadway-Brooklyn line.

Archived