CBTC Info

Guest MTA Bus

Guest MTA Bus

According to Wikipedia.org, the MTA will install CBTC on the Queens Blvd Line in 5 phases. The first phase will be from 50th Street to Forest Hills - 71st Av. The contract for phase one is supposed to be awarded in 2013. Also, funding has been approved for the installation of CBTC equipment on one of the IND Culver Line express tracks between Fourth Avenue and Church Avenue. The expected completion date is March 2015.

50th St. where?

I wonder why they would do the (E) or (F) next, rather than the (G) (which shares the Culver from 4th Ave. to Church). That makes the most sense, since it's almost like the (L) and (7) in being a solo line.

They're jumping this to the busiest lines in the system, and you would think those would be last, after the technology really proved itself (which it apparently hasn't yet, on the (L)!)

Seems today we get to horned up on technology, CBTC looks to be the same problem that Class 1 RR will have with PTC. Government mandates based on technology that one, is in it's infancy, and two is very expensive.

When will we get it, accidents will always happen, and unfortunatly people will die, we can't save everyone, especially from ourselves...

Any cost estimate to benefit ratio been done with CBTC, if so how/what?

PTC (Positive Train Control) is going to be a nightmare for the Class 1.

Other opinions???

Guest MTA Bus
50th St. where?

I wonder why they would do the (E) or (F) next, rather than the (G) (which shares the Culver from 4th Ave. to Church). That makes the most sense, since it's almost like the (L) and (7) in being a solo line.

They're jumping this to the busiest lines in the system, and you would think those would be last, after the technology really proved itself (which it apparently hasn't yet, on the (L)!)

The (G) should be CBTC. It's solo for most of its route. It's a good candinate for CBTC.

Just think of the backlash there would be if the MTA announced they were putting in new technology that is supposed to allow for more trains on...the stepson (G) train. Everyone that rides the (E) or. (7) or (F) would complain that they need the technology, since they have such busy, packed lines. Mst people are not aware that the technology is not proven or that it has a number of imperfections.

Guest lance25
According to Wikipedia.org, the MTA will install CBTC on the Queens Blvd Line in 5 phases. The first phase will be from 50th Street to Forest Hills - 71st Av. The contract for phase one is supposed to be awarded in 2013. Also, funding has been approved for the installation of CBTC equipment on one of the IND Culver Line express tracks between Fourth Avenue and Church Avenue. The expected completion date is March 2015.

Just so nobody disputes the accuracy on the above claim, both CBTC projects are on the (MTA)'s Capital Program Dashboard.

CBTC Queens Boulevard, Culver 1, Culver 2

Whether the information linked above is accurate is another story entirely.

50th St. where?

It looks like they're focusing on the heavily-used lines, which just happened to be isolated in terms of Canarsie and Flushing. While it'd make more sense to convert the semi-isolated (G) line, the idea behind CBTC is to move the trains faster on crowded lines. The (G) isn't one of them.

The (G) should be CBTC. It's solo for most of its route. It's a good candinate for CBTC.

The (G) is the red-headed stepchild on the subway.

Seems today we get to horned up on technology, CBTC looks to be the same problem that Class 1 RR will have with PTC. Government mandates based on technology that one, is in it's infancy, and two is very expensive.

When will we get it, accidents will always happen, and unfortunatly people will die, we can't save everyone, especially from ourselves...

Any cost estimate to benefit ratio been done with CBTC, if so how/what?

PTC (Positive Train Control) is going to be a nightmare for the Class 1.

Other opinions???

The difference between PTC and CBTC though is that PTC is government-mandated while CBTC is not. I guess part of the decision to pursue CBTC is cost-effectiveness. If you're gonna spend a lot of money replacing signals, why not invest more into one that won't become obsolete as fast while increasing capacity?

50th St. where?

50th Street/8th Avenue Lower Level (where the (E) stops), as that's technically where the Queens Boulevard Line begins.

So will They be shutting down segments of the QB line? or since its 4 tracks it wont be as drastic?

I would assume it would only affect one pair of tracks at a time. But that means expect a lot of weekends with no QBL express service, and the (R) truncated somewhere (hopefully only to 57th).

So they're not following just the (F) line (as if it had been 47th/50th, and it would eventually join with the section at 4th Av), but doing both the (E) and (F). Do they plan to extend it to WTC eventually? Or is it just some "Queens to Church Av. via the (E) line" plan?

2015!? I stopped myself from laughing because I anticipated my head exploding... have you taken the (L) in the middle of the night lately? Their G.O.s are so regular they don't even tell anyone about them... 10MPH through the tube and single tracking...

;) , its a pain

they always use the L to try new technology , i thankful for it but at the same time its a pain & slows down my travel alot going into the city and/or i resort to my first love buses <3

Archived