Switches and Track Geometry Cars

6 Lexington Ave

I have 2 questions: 1. do you think that there are enough switches between uptown/downtown tracks in the system, or do you think that there should be more to help in emergency situations? 2. I know that Track Geometry Cars run at any given time but I assume that they cannot run, for example, in the height of rush hour for obvious reasons. Is there a specific time of day when most track inspections are done?

1- i don't think they have enough track switch to cover all the last minute switcherroo when needed. For example, there was a some problem between 59 street columbus circle to 7 avenue stop. The D train had to reroute over the A line to the F line. After West 4 street heading toward broadway laffyette station, they can't get back on their own track because there no switches for them. It all in the back of them in other direction that they can't get to them. The switch can be found right before west 4 street station coming from their original 34 street herald square.

I remember in the 80 when the B train was running on the West End Line. The B train was running local to 62 street. Then the B train had to go in reverse to the middle track because the switch track was behind them only for middle track to manhattan bound track, then go forward into the 62 street middle track and continue their route to Manhattan by using the middle track.

With the Geometry Train, i heard they run 24 hours a day and never stop scanning the system. I seen in past the geometry train ran at night time.

Archived