Pedestrian Plazas and Other Closed Roads?

Gorgor

I'm talking strictly about Manhattan only.

As some of you may know, I've been making many maps of different bus routes and such using the bus maps provided from the MTA's website. I've noticed that there's many inaccuracies to their maps, such as missing roads, and other ambiguous things, such as having highways look exactly like a regular street. In an effort to create a perfect and more detailed map, I'd like to know a bit more information about the city. I've already tried looking online and on the DOT's website, but I couldn't find any of this information.

So here's a few questions I have:

Where are the pedestrian plazas and other roads closed off to traffic located in Manhattan? I know about Broadway in Midtown and 91st between 2nd and 3rd on the Upper East Side, but I can't recall any others from memory.

Are there any major roads in Manhattan where buses are not allowed? I know about the FDR Drive restrictions, but other than that are there any others?

I think there might be something on Broadway between 23rd Street and 17th Street (When you mean "Broadway in Midtown", I assume you just meant between 34th Street and 42nd Street). They rerouted a bunch of express routes to avoid that part of Broadway.

I don't know if it's because they narrowed the street (by restriping) or whether they closed it completely, but you could check it out.

I think there might be something on Broadway between 23rd Street and 17th Street (When you mean "Broadway in Midtown", I assume you just meant between 34th Street and 42nd Street). They rerouted a bunch of express routes to avoid that part of Broadway.

I don't know if it's because they narrowed the street (by restriping) or whether they closed it completely, but you could check it out.

Well by Broadway I meant north of 14th.

Yeah, south of 23rd it's really narrow, plus you can't really get through between 14th and 17th easily, and definitely not for a bus. They also made 17th Street one way between Park Avenue South and Broadway, so the M6 and whatever other buses used to turn there can't any more.

Archived