Gingrich Wins in S.C.

NX Express

22voters-articleLarge.jpg

Image: nytimes.com

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Surprising his rivals and upending the Republican race for the presidency, Newt Gingrich won the pivotal South Carolina primary Saturday, 10 days after a fourth-place finish in New Hampshire left the impression his candidacy was all but dead.

Mr. Gingrich rode to victory by winning a plurality among a wide range of important Republican voting blocs, outperforming the rest of the four-person field among evangelical Christians and Tea Party supporters, men and even women, despite the publicity given to problems in his first two marriages.

Mr. Gingrich now leaves for Florida on Sunday in the best position to pose a singular insurgent threat to Mitt Romney, the favored candidate of the Republican establishment, in the weeks if not months to come.

Mr. Romney, who left New Hampshire as the presumed front-runner, is now one of three Republicans to have won one of the first three nominating contests, having been stripped of his incorrectly declared victory in the Iowa caucuses this week, a win that was instead given to Rick Santorum, who placed third on Saturday.

Read more:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/us/politics/south-carolina-republican-primary.html?_r=1&hp

Guess it's not such a smooth path for Romney after all.

I'll say this about Newt, he's a vicious sob. If he's like this to his fellow GOP rivals, I just wonder how vicious he'll be against Obama. As long as he isn't mr. nice guy like that old fool McCain was, it'll be a pretty lively debate.

he held his own when that CNN guy tried to bring up some crap from his past about his personal life.

he held his own when that CNN guy tried to bring up some crap from his past about his personal life.

I'd prefer he attack Obama's policies over the past years than something that doesn't concern me. FTR the Clinton impeachment thing was a total waste of resources over a vendetta. Leave the private stuff private, focus on the issues only.

SC is like Iowa in being maybe conservative. Newt has a shot only if he gets close to 2nd in Florida. Florida is the real test as I doubt it will be very favorable to the more right of center crowds. So Romney has been taking some stumbles with SC and Iowa, but he still has the funding. I can't see Newt or Santorum lasting for long without major outside donors.* (i know Sheldon Adelson, the owner of the Venitian resort in Vegas, pledged support for Newt, but still..)

its unexpected twists and turns like this that make primary seasons interesting. Everyone thought Mitt Romney would sail thru the primaries, but Mitt and Ron Paul and the others are holding their own for now, as the playing field narrows slowly.

So foxie is politics(including the pols/canadiates personal lives)is your favorite form of entertainment right? If so cool.

Yes, but Newt is a bigger blowhard. Rather than to try and torpedo Romney, he could be saving that ammo for Obama. It makes me wonder if Newt is doing the Democrats a big favor by taking the nomination and eventually losing to Obama, similar to how McCain['t] basically threw the 2008 election for Obama by being too soft and out of touch on the economy issue.

the only thing this republican presidential nominee race is proving so far is that the candidates with the most of other peoples money money can spend said other people's money back to votes and popularity.

and people still think elections aren't bought sold and paid for?

Archived