Any updates on 7 line extension?

traildriver

cosnidering they are so far ahead of where they should be i don't think even the MTA is exactly sure. Where they are now they shouldn't have reached till the coming fall. Who knows, they could be open by this december, instead of the one after.

Hmm... usually the MTA delays things (points to new South Ferry)

I still believe that SF station was a mistake. Sure elevators and such where nice as well as being able to get off the entire train vs just the first 5 cars. However, The old loop station could've been redesigned to accommodate 5 more cars and that $400 mil could've gone to fix up several station in LM or even go to help pay off that over budgeted Fulton St transit center.

ftr, I am not saying i cared much about the old loop station, I just feel it was good enough and wouldn't have cost $400 mil. Government spending at its worst.

Guest lance25

The problem with the loop station wasn't just the loop or the first five cars crap, though neither of those things helped. The new South Ferry allows for two full length trains to platform without holding up the 7th Avenue line north of the station. It also allows for a connection to the BMT Broadway line, which has become quite useful when 7th Avenue service gets knocked out of Brooklyn, which seems to be quite more often than before. Finally, it adds one more ADA accessible station to an area woefully lacking in them.

Getting back to the original question, the 7 Line Extension is slated to open sometime in 2013, minus the much more useful 41st & 10th station.

I still believe that SF station was a mistake. Sure elevators and such where nice as well as being able to get off the entire train vs just the first 5 cars. However, The old loop station could've been redesigned to accommodate 5 more cars and that $400 mil could've gone to fix up several station in LM or even go to help pay off that over budgeted Fulton St transit center.

ftr, I am not saying i cared much about the old loop station, I just feel it was good enough and wouldn't have cost $400 mil. Government spending at its worst.

I believe the SF station was paid for with funds for recontruction Lower Manhattan after 9/11, so the money wouldn't have been able to be used for building other projects.

True, but it was still a massive waste of tax dollars. Sure the fed is footing the bill, but that doesn't justify the enormous cost for one station that is leaking in some areas.

=

I understand ada was needed, but a train going thru the loop meant it went thru the station as if it was a regular station as opposed to a terminal, so you don't need to have trains waiting outside the station to allow another to leave. The loop was probably as good as the current 2 track terminal where trains have to slow down before the bumper blocks.

If the station didn't cost so much to build and didn't have the leaking issues, then great, but sadly that is not the case.

Finally, the new terminal requires you to walk outside to enter the ferry building. All those costs and they couldn't build an enclosed structure? The connecting corridor to the BMT still could've been built, but of course the loop platform might not be able to handle the crowds

Because it's a $400 million boondoggle, that's the problem. To then add the costs to patch up the leaks and such will cost extra. All this compared to the 'ancient' loop station that has at worst crowding issues and possible gap filler problems, the older would've been better. That's my main point.

So carry on everyone, sorry for hijacking the thread.

That's not a boondoggle, a boondoggle would be if part of that station was sitting in NY harbor which could lead to a flood. Its just leaks, i do admit it can smell like a public toilet, but its not that bad. But back on track, I didn't even know the project was ahead of schedule. I just thought that since it's so short, it would be completed faster.

cosnidering they are so far ahead of where they should be i don't think even the MTA is exactly sure. Where they are now they shouldn't have reached till the coming fall. Who knows, they could be open by this december, instead of the one after.

They're ahead of schedule because the city forced them to abandon plans for desperately needed station at 10th Ave & 41 St to serve an already existing neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen, and it's growing) and the Intrepid (I think Grand Concourse mentioned this in another thread). The (MTA) was barely able to leave a shell for a faint glimmer of hope of building the station later. BTW, the MTA didn't even want to build out the extension in the first place- the city forced them to ($$$).

That's not a boondoggle, a boondoggle would be if part of that station was sitting in NY harbor which could lead to a flood. Its just leaks, i do admit it can smell like a public toilet, but its not that bad. But back on track, I didn't even know the project was ahead of schedule. I just thought that since it's so short, it would be completed faster.

It technically is sitting on NY Harbor, because most of the station is sitting on landfill- not natural land. But that's beside the point. :)

They're ahead of schedule because the city forced them to abandon plans for desperately needed station at 10th Ave & 41 St to serve an already existing neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen, and it's growing) and the Intrepid (I think Grand Concourse mentioned this in another thread). The (MTA) was barely able to leave a shell for a faint glimmer of hope of building the station later. BTW, the MTA didn't even want to build out the extension in the first place- the city forced them to ($$$).

Yup the whole (7) extension could've been justified if that 10th av station were to be built or even a shell of it. The M42 route just sucks. I'd rather walk the distance from the 8th av line than take the bus. And the idea to basically abandon the Javits Center and move the convention center to Aqueduct would totally kill one of the reasons for the (7) extension. Sure there would be the Hudson whatever project over the rail yard, but right now the main reason is the convention. It becomes worse and worse for the whole project.

Yup the whole (7) extension could've been justified if that 10th av station were to be built or even a shell of it. The M42 route just sucks. I'd rather walk the distance from the 8th av line than take the bus. And the idea to basically abandon the Javits Center and move the convention center to Aqueduct would totally kill one of the reasons for the (7) extension. Sure there would be the Hudson whatever project over the rail yard, but right now the main reason is the convention. It becomes worse and worse for the whole project.

It's quickly becoming a $2.5 Billion boondoggle on behalf of the (MTA), and a $3.5 Billion dollar boondoggle for the city (NYC could be on the hook for more than $500 million by 2015 just to pay interest on $3 billion in Hudson Yards bonds — largely because construction in the area has not reached anywhere near the level Mayor Bloomberg’s top aides predicted back in 2005.) Now that Bloomberg wants to extend the (7)<7> to NJ- another boondoggle (and idiotic as well)- when will he learn? :cry: :mad:

Archived