Slow blow to riders

mark1447

Bus drivers aren’t happy with the MTA’s hardball contract-negotiation tactics — and we might have to pay for it!

Some steamed drivers — incensed over everything from the agency’s calls for part-timers to slashing their vacation time in contract talks — are discussing a sneaky plan that would drastically slow bus service all over the city.

“If they want to play hardball, so can we,” one longtime bus operator said.

“Negotiations are supposed to be a give and take. They [the MTA] are just taking. This union has a lot of power.”

And some are not afraid to show it — even if it means inconveniencing riders.

One plan being discussed would have bus operators arrive for the start of their shift at the exact time they are scheduled.

Normally, they show up slightly early to begin mandatory safety inspections, a time-consuming process required by state law.

The last-minute starts would mean inspections wouldn’t get going until the time that buses are scheduled to leave — a delaying tactic that would have the vehicles chugging out of their depots at least 15 minutes later than scheduled.

That by-the-books late start — which the MTA would be powerless to prevent — would do more than leave time-crunched commuters anxiously tapping their toes in the cold at bus stops across the city. It would also send a message to the MTA that its workers want pay raises — which the agency has repeatedly said it can’t afford.

Read more: Bus drivers weighing service slowdown amid MTA-union clash - NYPOST.com

A couple of things that aren't clear to me... Would all bus routes be affected or just some?? My understanding was that there are several different unions no??

Also, I'm curious as to what sort of inspections they do because I sure as heck have been on buses (particularly on Staten Island that should not have been on the road i.e. shot shocks, etc.) :eek:

If this does happen one day, if a B/O just give a little heads up on here, that would be awesome. When it happened the first time last year, there was notice, so I just planned ahead. The second time, when the MTA bosses showed up to CP one day to do DOT inspections, I was really late. It didn't seem like the B/O's knew that one was goign to happen, though.

Archived