Question about Interstate 86 / NYS Route 17

mark1447

When Interstate 86 fully extends to the I87 Thruway, whats gonna happen to NY17? It ill be discontinued? And will NJ17 also have an impact to all this?

Thanks!

Mark in a nusthell by end of this year or early in 2013, NY17(aka the quickway) between Binghamton and I-87(NY Thruway)in Orange County, NY is planned to be rename "I-86." "Final work" is still being conducted in Sullivan and Orange Counties to upgrade the soon to be former "NY17" to "Freeway" standards needed for an Interstate. Already most of NY17 (aka the Southern Tier Expressway)between the Western Pa.border (where it connects with I-90's Thruway Erie Section)and *Just East of Binghamton* in Windsor, NY has been renamed to I-86. As far as I know NY/NJ 17 will still remain between Harriman, NY (Woodbury Commons Mall area)and Bergen County, NJ.

Here link below that should explain the history of I-86/NY17. Hope it answers your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_86_(east)

Mark in a nusthell by end of this year or early in 2013, NY17(aka the quickway) between Binghamton and I-87(NY Thruway)in Orange County, NY is planned to be rename "I-86." "Final work" is still being conducted in Sullivan and Orange Counties to upgrade the soon to be former "NY17" to "Freeway" standards needed for an Interstate. Already most of NY17 (aka the Southern Tier Expressway)between the Western Pa.border (where it connects with I-90's Thruway Erie Section)and *Just East of Binghamton* in Windsor, NY has been renamed to I-86. As far as I know NY/NJ 17 will still remain between Harriman, NY (Woodbury Commons Mall area)and Bergen County, NJ.

Here link below that should explain the history of I-86/NY17. Hope it answers your question.

Thanks for sharing that with me, now I know some of the history of the route I take to NYC/Metro New Jersey from Toronto since I take some of this route!

Thanks for sharing that with me, now I know some of the history of the route I take to NYC/Metro New Jersey from Toronto since I take some of this route!

Actually i also use the now "I-86" southern tier highway as a way to bypass the NYS Thruway tolls from say connecting with I-390 in Rochester-Binghamton.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty much I am going to say the samething as Shortline Bus, NY-17's Northern Terminus would be in Harriman, NY as the conversion to I-86 is 100% done. There should already be Future I-86 or Regular I-86 signage along the thruway by now.

Kind of incorrect. It's about 95% done with finishing work in parts of Orange and Sullivan Counties.

• 1 month later...

You are correct. The Southern Tier Expressway.

Archived