Bus Time: What's in it for the (MTA)?

Via Garibaldi 8

The only things I can think of are on time performance improving and positive feedback from passengers. I don't think you could count increased ridership if that was the case because there are too many factors that go into that. You really couldn't say that bus time caused ridership to increase although it certainly could be a factor.

The thing i dont get, is why the MTA is slowly rolling it out?

NJT MyBus time is a success and its all over the system (as of 2010?). I don't think they took years just to make it available, unlike the MTA.

The only things I can think of are on time performance improving and positive feedback from passengers. I don't think you could count increased ridership if that was the case because there are too many factors that go into that. You really couldn't say that bus time caused ridership to increase although it certainly could be a factor.

Well that's something that I am curious about. Let's say that someone doesn't use Bus Time, but they notice that reliability is improved. Will that then entice them to use the buses more?? Since Bus Time has come out, I've only used car service three times (once from the supermarket) and once for laundry because I had heavy things to carry. Last night I was tempted to use car service because I didn't feel like walking after the schlepp to Riverdale and then back to Staten Island, but I took the bus because I knew it would be there.

The thing i dont get, is why the MTA is slowly rolling it out?

NJT MyBus time is a success and its all over the system (as of 2010?). I don't think they took years just to make it available, unlike the MTA.

From what I understand, MyBus is just schedules by text. The actual real time part of it will come later (this year?)

It's them improving service. Their job is to provide service. This means they're doing their job. Ideally, the better the service, the more people that use it. That's success: people are probably using BusTime. The more people that use it, the more people that ride buses, and the more money they make. And that's the end goal.

Yeah, but I think it goes further than that. I would venture to say that it's a great way to "watch employees". I wonder if they will study their costs in terms of overtime and so on...

Archived