Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
azspeedbullet

M15 SBS Route Question

Are drivers allowed to terminate there route early on the SBS? Every time i take an M15 SBS southbound to South Ferry, the driver always says the last stop is Allen St and E Houston and not South Ferry. I have to get off the bus and wait for the next bus which causes overcrowding on the next bus. This has happen multiple times in the past few weeks, and its different drivers too

During the AM rush hour commute, some M15 SBS runs from East Harlem terminate at Houston St. Make sure you look at the destination of the bus before you get on it.

During the AM rush hour commute, some M15 SBS runs from East Harlem terminate at Houston St. Make sure you look at the destination of the bus before you get on it.

how come this is not mention in the official bus schedule ?

Sometimes the bus op will get a call from the dispatcher to terminate early if there is a bus running close enough behind and then either turnaround and start picking up passengers or go back uptown dark.

Since it is an SBS line and the tickets aren't collected, couldn't a person just get off and get on the following bus if they wanted to go further south of Houston? It's not like with the Metrocard where they would have to dip the card back into the machine.

Or better yet, could the person ask the driver to get a transfer to get on a different bus?

Since it is an SBS line and the tickets aren't collected, couldn't a person just get off and get on the following bus if they wanted to go further south of Houston? It's not like with the Metrocard where they would have to dip the card back into the machine.

Or better yet, could the person ask the driver to get a transfer to get on a different bus?

Probably, as SBS receipts are valid for a certain number of minutes, and like NJT light rail tickets, can be used for as many rides/vehicles as you want in that time span.

I think it's more of an annoyance factor rather than payment. A couple of times I've been going home on the uptown M15 SBS, gotten out to get a bottle of soda, and then got on the next bus up with the same receipt. Technically you've only got an hour window from the time on it, but the fare inspectors simply just glance to see whether or not you have a ticket, not for the specific time.

OP, just look at the destination sign beforehand. Yes, it can be rather annoying having to give up your seat, go outside, and wait for the next bus only to be left standing on board. But you can't really do much about that.

Probably, as SBS receipts are valid for a certain number of minutes, and like NJT light rail tickets, can be used for as many rides/vehicles as you want in that time span.

The SBS ticket says what direction and route you are traveling in, so while you can technically take as many rides as you want, that is only on buses going that same direction and route. Whether or not an inspector would catch it if you had a northbound ticket on a southbound route is another matter entirely

I think it's more of an annoyance factor rather than payment. A couple of times I've been going home on the uptown M15 SBS, gotten out to get a bottle of soda, and then got on the next bus up with the same receipt. Technically you've only got an hour window from the time on it, but the fare inspectors simply just glance to see whether or not you have a ticket, not for the specific time.

OP, just look at the destination sign beforehand. Yes, it can be rather annoying having to give up your seat, go outside, and wait for the next bus only to be left standing on board. But you can't really do much about that.

Annoyance, yes. I've seen cases on the B41 where riders wanting to go down one branch often asking for a transfer by the last stop before the route splits. Would be nice if the designation was made different by a suffix at the end of the number at the very least. That would be helpful to those that only saw the back of the bus and didn't have time to see the side or front of the bus.

Ah, so you can do that with the ticket, makes sense since the ride I was on last month had no inspectors asking for them.

Annoyance, yes. I've seen cases on the B41 where riders wanting to go down one branch often asking for a transfer by the last stop before the route splits. Would be nice if the designation was made different by a suffix at the end of the number at the very least. That would be helpful to those that only saw the back of the bus and didn't have time to see the side or front of the bus.

Ah, so you can do that with the ticket, makes sense since the ride I was on last month had no inspectors asking for them.

I completely agree. Short turns need to be clearly visible, even if it does mean adding a suffix at the end. Of course there will be a bit of confusion at the beginning, but after the first few months it'll be much clearer than it is now.