$500 for farebeaters...

Blitz

Stop bringing that up already. I'm not disputing it so I don't see why you keep harping it. I still believe that he has asked for free transfers when he wasn't owed one particularly because I recall him mentioning it on more than one occasion. That was the point I was making.

Your tone sir, your tone.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) You don't need to explain it. The point is why are you even bringing up whether someone needs to do it or not??? That was my point. There is no need to differentiate why people are farebeating. The point is they're doing it and it needs to stop because the problem will only increase. It's only natural. Ridership is growing and if farebeating isn't curbed it will continue to increase.

2) Well if you have such a problem with it, why don't we borrow some money as you suggested and pay for a rail line to go there?? It's cheaper in the long run remember?? ;) I mean really, you seem to think that we need subways running all over the place.

3) Don't even try it. You love harping on the BM4 like that's the only line you're after, as if you're only proposing cuts to express buses. You want to slash local bus service too to areas that have little service as it is, so spare me.

4) Yeah, I'm certain that was the only time you've asked for a transfer that you didn't pay for because the (MTA) stole it from you. Funny how you think folks can steal from the (MTA) via farebeating, but not the other way around. lol

1) And it will still be a trivial amount relative to the overall budget.

2) Unless they build a bunch of high rises in Gerritsen Beach, it won't be cheaper in the long run. Trains are only more efficient when you have a lot of ridership, or else you won't be able to take advantage of the cheaper costs (what's the point in having a driver and conductor that can transport 2,000 people when you can't even fill up a bus)

There are neighborhoods with no direct express service and they survive. Travis has to take the S62 (or drive) to the X10 outside of rush hour. You don't see them complaining. Even in your neighborhood, you have to take the S53 to reach the express buses outside of rush hour. The same thing for areas in SE Queens (and not all of them have the LIRR nearby)

3) The only one I can think of where I wanted it cut off the top of my head was the Bx24 in Country Club. I spoke about all of the reductions I would make (and there weren't as many as you were suggesting) and none of them would leave any areas without service.

4) I don't have $12 billion lying around.

I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing that he has never asked for a transfer when it wasn't the machine's fault. He's the type that is very frugal, so if he can get a free transfer and not have to pay for it (even if he isn't entitled to one he would). That's what I'm arguing.

And you're such an upstanding citizen that you would never turn down an opportunity to get a free ride, right? Yeah, I may have done it a couple of times, but it's not like I do it regularly.

1) And it will still be a trivial amount relative to the overall budget.

You don't get, or rather you don't want to so I won't even bother.

2) Unless they build a bunch of high rises in Gerritsen Beach, it won't be cheaper in the long run. Trains are only more efficient when you have a lot of ridership, or else you won't be able to take advantage of the cheaper costs (what's the point in having a driver and conductor that can transport 2,000 people when you can't even fill up a bus)

There are neighborhoods with no direct express service and they survive. Travis has to take the S62 (or drive) to the X10 outside of rush hour. You don't see them complaining. Even in your neighborhood, you have to take the S53 to reach the express buses outside of rush hour. The same thing for areas in SE Queens (and not all of them have the LIRR nearby)

LOL... That's funny because that's exactly why I'm moving and few other folks that used to ride w/me from area have moved as well. I get sick of having to transfer from the X10 during off hours, adding more time to my already long commute. I've been putting up with it for years now and it sucks royally, so I fixed that by moving to Riverdale. ;) :cool: Just to be clear, I didn't chose to move to West Brighton, it just happened that way. Long story that I won't go into, but there is no way that I would've moved there originally knowing how crappy express bus service is there (even when we had the X16). Another buddy of mine moved by Richmond Avenue, which gives him access to the X10, X12, X30 and X42. He actually drives, but he too wanted more transportation options that didn't require him to drive to them if he didn't want to.

As for Gerritsen Beach, let's take away their service, but they can continue to support the overall system with their tax dollars... lol Typical and hypocritcal. They've already lost the B31 overnight and some are pushing for more cuts to the B31, let alone the BM4.

3) The only one I can think of where I wanted it cut off the top of my head was the Bx24 in Country Club. I spoke about all of the reductions I would make (and there weren't as many as you were suggesting) and none of them would leave any areas without service.

Yeah and that S57 reduction you supported started up by Amtrak :( was just a figment of my imagination... I still don't see how in the world you can support reducing service on a North South route on weekends when you have no S54 or S66 on weekends, not to mention the loss of weekend service on the S76.

4) I don't have $12 billion lying around.

Neither does the (MTA). They do borrow some of their monies you know.

And you're such an upstanding citizen that you would never turn down an opportunity to get a free ride, right? Yeah, I may have done it a couple of times, but it's not like I do it regularly.

LOL... You are so busted... I just wanted you to admit it that's all. ;)

1) As for Gerritsen Beach, let's take away their service, but they can continue to support the overall system with their tax dollars... lol Typical and hypocritcal. They've already lost the B31 overnight and some are pushing for more cuts to the B31, let alone the BM4.

2) Yeah and that S57 reduction you supported started up by Amtrak ;) was just a figment of my imagination... I still don't see how in the world you can support reducing service on a North South route on weekends when you have no S54 or S66 on weekends, not to mention the loss of weekend service on the S76.

3) Neither does the (MTA). They do borrow some of their monies you know.

4) LOL... You are so busted... I just wanted you to admit it that's all. ;)

1) Well I'm not one of those pushing for any more reductions to the B31. It's one of the routes I would actually try and strengthen by sending it across 65th Street and Bay Ridge Avenue, similar to BrooklynBus' plan.

And the last time I checked, they still have service. It's called the B31. The last I checked, there were plenty of neighborhoods with no direct off-peak express service and the people still manage to survive.

2) Oh, I'm not denying that. I just couldn't recall offhand that I mentioned it, but my position on the S57 still stands. But in case you also haven't noticed, I did advocate for restoring the S54 and S66 on hourly headways.

Oh wait, but my reductions would be much worse than the additions I would make.

3) The point is that their budget is so large that a few million isn't going to make a big difference.

4) I didn't admit anything. I said "I may have done it once or twice". Offhand, I can't recall of any instance where I asked for an extra transfer. (And no, this isn't some last minute change. I worded it that way on purpose. It's the type of thing I would do, but I don't recall having actually done it)

1) Well I'm not one of those pushing for any more reductions to the B31. It's one of the routes I would actually try and strengthen by sending it across 65th Street and Bay Ridge Avenue, similar to BrooklynBus' plan.

Well that's a change.

And the last time I checked, they still have service. It's called the B31. The last I checked, there were plenty of neighborhoods with no direct off-peak express service and the people still manage to survive.

If we left it to you they wouldn't even have that.

2) Oh, I'm not denying that. I just couldn't recall offhand that I mentioned it, but my position on the S57 still stands. But in case you also haven't noticed, I did advocate for restoring the S54 and S66 on hourly headways.

Oh wait, but my reductions would be much worse than the additions I would make.

And who is going to wait an hour for a local bus on the weekends?? Yeah, your reductions would be worse.

3) The point is that their budget is so large that a few million isn't going to make a big difference.

The point is they're borrowing money to fund their budget so they don't have millions to squander. That's the point.

4) I didn't admit anything. I said "I may have done it once or twice". Offhand, I can't recall of any instance where I asked for an extra transfer. (And no, this isn't some last minute change. I worded it that way on purpose. It's the type of thing I would do, but I don't recall having actually done it)

Yeah, nice little white lie. You've admitted to doing it in other posts, so you already admitted it. Like you said, it's the type of thing you would do. LOL

1) Well that's a change.

2) If we left it to you they wouldn't even have that.

3) And who is going to wait an hour for a local bus on the weekends?? Yeah, your reductions would be worse.

4) The point is they're borrowing money to fund their budget so they don't have millions to squander. That's the point.

5) Yeah, nice little white lie. You've admitted to doing it in other posts, so you already admitted it. Like you said, it's the type of thing you would do. LOL

1) How is that a change if I wanted it all along?

2) I've repeatedly stated what my standards are for keeping or not keeping a service. People shouldn't be left stranded unless the route carried a ridiculously low number of people, and the B31 doesn't fit into that category.

3) Plenty of areas with similar characteristics have hourly service on weekends. It's better than no service (which would be what would happen for S54 and S66 riders if we kept the service as is)

Not to mention nobody's going to have to wait an hour: You just have to look at the schedule and time yourself for a bus, and with BusTime, you don't have to worry about buses being excessively early (and lateness shouldn't be a problem on the S54 since there's not a whole lot of traffic)

And besides, who knows? Maybe with the restructuring, it'll get enough riders that it's worth running the bus every 30 minutes.

4) If somebody takes out a mortgage on a $10 million home, chances are they don't have to scrounge around for pennies, just because they have to borrow money.

5) No I haven't admitted to actually doing it, just that it's something I would do. If I did, then you should be the one to find those posts.

1) How is that a change if I wanted it all along?

Boy, you really don't know sarcasm at all do you... Smh... :(

2) I've repeatedly stated what my standards are for keeping or not keeping a service. People shouldn't be left stranded unless the route carried a ridiculously low number of people, and the B31 doesn't fit into that category.

Paying people can left stranded, but farebeaters can't right?

3) Plenty of areas with similar characteristics have hourly service on weekends. It's better than no service (which would be what would happen for S54 and S66 riders if we kept the service as is)

I don't know of any local bus routes in the city with hourly service.

Not to mention nobody's going to have to wait an hour: You just have to look at the schedule and time yourself for a bus, and with BusTime, you don't have to worry about buses being excessively early (and lateness shouldn't be a problem on the S54 since there's not a whole lot of traffic)

And besides, who knows? Maybe with the restructuring, it'll get enough riders that it's worth running the bus every 30 minutes.

That's if Bus Time works properly. There has been a slight increase in riders on the S54. The problem is several S54s have been ghost buses. In order words they come on time as scheduled, but don't appear on the map when trying to track the bus. :( I took one this morning. I tracked the bus going toward Richmond Terrace and then the bus disappears and never re-appeared again. I was about to call car service and then it came onto Manor and stopped there at Forest.

4) If somebody takes out a mortgage on a $10 million home, chances are they don't have to scrounge around for pennies, just because they have to borrow money.

If the (MTA) really had the money they wouldn't be borrowing it. That's just bad finances. Same thing with a mortgage. No one with half a brain would take out a mortgage if they can pay for the house and own it outright. You're saving a ton of money in interest in the long run.

5) No I haven't admitted to actually doing it, just that it's something I would do. If I did, then you should be the one to find those posts.

I'm not searching through posts for that. Please, you admitted to doing it. Just accept it and move on. lol

1) Boy, you really don't know sarcasm at all do you... Smh... :(

2) Paying people can left stranded, but farebeaters can't right?

3) I don't know of any local bus routes in the city with hourly service.

4) That's if Bus Time works properly. There has been a slight increase in riders on the S54. The problem is several S54s have been ghost buses. In order words they come on time as scheduled, but don't appear on the map when trying to track the bus. :( I took one this morning. I tracked the bus going toward Richmond Terrace and then the bus disappears and never re-appeared again. I was about to call car service and then it came onto Manor and stopped there at Forest.

5) If the (MTA) really had the money they wouldn't be borrowing it. That's just bad finances. Same thing with a mortgage. No one with half a brain would take out a mortgage if they can pay for the house and own it outright. You're saving a ton of money in interest in the long run.

6) I'm not searching through posts for that. Please, you admitted to doing it. Just accept it and move on. lol

1) Except my position regarding any cuts has always been the same. It's you who's trying to make it seem as if all I want is cuts.

2) Sure they can, if they live in an isolated area where it's not worth running service.

And let me ask you: Is it cheaper for the MTA to give away a ride for free that costs $2 (if the cost on the route is $2 per passenger), or is it cheaper to give away a ride for $5.50 when the cost is over $40 per passenger?

3) When did I say I was talking about NYC? I said "areas with similar characteristics". I didn't say they were within the 5 boroughs. The MTA should revise the standard so that it can run hourly service as a basic headway rather than 30 minute service.

Politics shouldn't be a factor in determining how much service an area gets. The fact that one area happens to be within the city limits (of a "transit-oriented city") shouldn't guarantee it more service than an area outside the city limits.

4) Well then it's an issue they should try to fix. The routes where the service runs every hour should get priority in any repairs that have to be made. And like I said, ridership might even be enough so that the route can run every 30 minutes.

5) They borrow it because they expect to be able to pay it back. That's like saying that somebody who makes a 2 million dollars a year can't afford the $10 million home because he doesn't have the money saved up at the moment. The guy would take out the mortgage, expecting to be able to pay it back over a period of time.

6) I'm not accepting anything. You're making the accusation so the burden of proof is on you. That's how it works in this capitalistic nation. :(

Archived