Bus time in the bx...good, bad, or ugly?

Blitz

Press Release

I personally think that this is not gonna work as well as people are predicting because it would require either use of the same buses on the same routes all the time, or it would require dispatchers to do a lot more work than they would like to be doing...

Why? The driver just enters the route # and terminal, the computer does the rest. They're not going to launch one route at a time, as that would involve certain buses staying on certain routes.

Why? The driver just enters the route # and terminal, the computer does the rest. They're not going to launch one route at a time, as that would involve certain buses staying on certain routes.

Is that how it works? For some reason I was under the impression that the dispatcher had to enter every bus and run # into the computer like they do with the current system.

Well the bigger question is "Why the Bronx next?" We all know and agree that SI is the most bus dependent. Generally speaking, Queens is next (among the outer boros). The Bronx has quite a few shorter routes and decent subway coverage. I honestly thought the Bronx would be last, with it least dependent (and poorest not withstanding) of the boros with solid subway service.

Well the bigger question is "Why the Bronx next?" We all know and agree that SI is the most bus dependent. Generally speaking, Queens is next (among the outer boros). The Bronx has quite a few shorter routes and decent subway coverage. I honestly thought the Bronx would be last, with it least dependent (and poorest not withstanding) of the boros with solid subway service.

Poor subway service is exactly why the Bronx does need it. In Riverdale in particular, we don't have subways, so we rely on our local and express buses and the snow can make the express buses a disaster, which I'm not looking forward to when I move up there, so having Bus Time will be great. So far the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 have been very reliable and generally are but during snowstorms, it's a different story. I think Bus Time will be great especially during snowstorms and bad weather when buses are delayed. I went out in the snow storm last weekend and did not have to wait long because I was able to track the buses. I walked down the street and caught a S53 in a few minutes and got the X10 shortly after. Coming back it was the same thing. Very short wait for the X10 and a short wait for the local buses. That is esp. great because last Saturday was as cold as a biatch. :eek:

Is that how it works? For some reason I was under the impression that the dispatcher had to enter every bus and run # into the computer like they do with the current system.

Well, I don't know if its as simple as I portrayed it to be, but it's NOT that much work on the dispatcher's side for sure. I have a feeling it's tied into the destination sign/farebox.

I thought it would be SI-Queens-Bronx-Brooklyn-Manhattan, since that's the order of bus dependency and subway coverage.

Poor subway service is exactly why the Bronx does need it. In Riverdale in particular, we don't have subways, so we rely on our local and express buses and the snow can make the express buses a disaster.

Blame the folks for not wanting subway service up there. Using that as an excuse is terrible because The Bronx is quite heavy with their subways and they are pretty spread out. They have more subway service than Queens!

Blame the folks for not wanting subway service up there. Using that as an excuse is terrible because The Bronx is quite heavy with their subways and they are pretty spread out. They have more subway service than Queens!

lol... Not an excuse. Just stating the facts that we don't have a subway, so we rely on our buses heavily much like Staten Island does, so we would benefit from Bus Time.

In Riverdale in particular, we don't have subways, so we rely on our local and express buses and the snow can make the express buses a disaster, which I'm not looking forward to when I move up there, so having Bus Time will be great. So far the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 have been very reliable

If only the same thing for reliability could be said for the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20. For example, three Bx7s might show up at 5:30, the Bx10 will arrive 12 minutes late at 5:36, and the 5:35 Bx20 won't show up at all. It's been like this for the entirety of the five years that I've lived in the Kingsbridge/Riverdale area, and it is incredibly frustrating.

If only the same thing for reliability could be said for the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20. For example, three Bx7s might show up at 5:30, the Bx10 will arrive 12 minutes late at 5:36, and the 5:35 Bx20 won't show up at all. It's been like this for the entirety of the five years that I've lived in the Kingsbridge/Riverdale area, and it is incredibly frustrating.

I think you have two issues here... The BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 run out of Yonkers Depot which is a part of (MTA) Bus and I find (MTA) Bus service to be a bit better overall, maybe because they're smaller?? Anywho, you also don't have so many factors affecting the express buses there in Riverdale. Basically if you don't have traffic on the expressway or lots of traffic in the city then the express buses will be on time. With the local routes though you have more factors that come into play. The fact that local bus service is so erratic, could be another reason why folks use the express buses there more though. Personally where I'm at by Henry Hudson Parkway and 235th street, I think it's far easier to just hop on the express bus. It seems like a real schlepp taking the local bus but then having to take (1) train local all the way down to the city... Ugh... Couldn't deal with that. I will say this though... If we had serious issues with our express buses, we would definitely make a stink about it, but from my personal experiences and talking with others in the area who have lived in Riverdale for years, you can basically set your phone or watch to the arrival of the express buses, which I've found to be true when coming from Riverdale to the city. Going to Riverdale, it still isn't that bad around the time that I leave. The BxM18 has been only a few minutes late in terms of waiting and they never come early. The BxM2 and BxM1 going to and from Riverdale have been right on time for me. Coming from Staten Island, I have to admit that I'm going to be spoiled. :cool:

lol... You have a point, but I don't see a subway being at all a good idea for Riverdale. It would ruin the character of the neighborhood, not to mention the difficultly in building it with the hills and such.

lol... You have a point, but I don't see a subway being at all a good idea for Riverdale. It would ruin the character of the neighborhood, not to mention the difficultly in building it with the hills and such.

I think he was referring to The Bronx in general being well-served by subways. Every single borough has neighborhoods without subway service (And in the case of The Bronx, you have areas in the western portion of the borough that are close to subways, but are on hills), but the question is who has more?

I think the reason why they did The Bronx before Queens could be because of size. In Queens, you have to set the system up over a larger area than The Bronx (and put the GPS on more buses and put more stops into the system), which makes it harder.

This way, they can technically say they covered 2 boroughs even though they aren't serving them in order of bus-dependance (and there's no disputing that Queens overall is more bus-dependant than The Bronx)

I think he was referring to The Bronx in general being well-served by subways. Every single borough has neighborhoods without subway service (And in the case of The Bronx, you have areas in the western portion of the borough that are close to subways, but are on hills), but the question is who has more?

Duh... That's pretty obvious no?? B)

I think the reason why they did The Bronx before Queens could be because of size. In Queens, you have to set the system up over a larger area than The Bronx (and put the GPS on more buses and put more stops into the system), which makes it harder.

This way, they can technically say they covered 2 boroughs even though they aren't serving them in order of bus-dependance (and there's no disputing that Queens overall is more bus-dependant than The Bronx)

I agree... Queens is a big monster to cover. The Bronx has more concentrated service for the most part. Look at Riverdale... You basically have all of the service for the western part of Riverdale along Henry Hudson Parkway/Riverdale Ave and on Broadway on the eastern portion.

Archived