Summer, Temporary & Part-Time Jobs in the Transit Industry

error46146

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if there were any part time, summer or temporary jobs in the Transit industry? Does anyone know where I can look or who I can contact for these?

Yes, there are. I did two summer internships with the (MTA) when I was in high school. My mom had some connections and got me in. I never asked how so I can't give much info there. However, I was doing some research in 2010 when I was considering courses at NYU or Columbia University and the (MTA) offers work for college students. I believe the research I did showed that they allow you work around your schedule which is cool. For their high school internship, they gave me a free unlimited MetroCard that was valid Monday through Friday during certain hours (something like from 07:00 until 20:00). We had Friday's off which was cool since they paid us on Friday. Would take the day and hang out in the city with my buddies. :cool: I believe we were paid for Friday too, which was pretty nice. Both summers I worked at 330 Jay Street, but for admin stuff (i.e. time sheets) I had to go to their main office there by Livingston Street.

As for the work, they don't work you hard. I had two nice bosses and they usually would let me a leave a little early sometimes if I finished all of my work, but sometimes it was boring as hell if they didn't have anything. I did simple stuff like data entry. In any event, it's nice to have it on your CV.

For college students it's also cool because sometimes I believe they'll recruit from within, so if you're interested in say transit planning or something you can look for an internship that will give you experience with them and hands on knowledge. Again this was back in 2010 and of course with the economy, some things may have changed, but I recall reading up on this when I was researching.

I would advise you to check with your high school or college and see if they are linked with the (MTA) with these sorts of internships or programs, as some of the schools get opportunities w/the (MTA).

I checked on the MTA's website but the interns look rather exclusive and are for graduate students ;) i'm only a Freshman in college right now lol..

Honestly if I do get into such a large and noted agency like the MTA, it wouldn't matter if it was paid or unpaid at that point since as you said it'd be great to have it on your CV/resume..

As for being a bus driver I'm not old enough for that yet, but if NICE does ever hire seasonals in the future I'll definitely look into that

If you're OK with unpaid, then there is a good chance you could find a TA internship being an undergrad. Check the qualifications, I think you can apply to three.

Also, the LIRR has some temporary jobs on their Cannonball trains, I believe selling beverages etc. Those appear on the LIRR job openings sometime in the Spring. I don't how exclusive or needing to know someone that is, but no harm in checking it out.

Hi all -

If anyone's interested in buses, or private bus companies, here are a few suggestions:

1. Check out Greyhound at the Port - they hire C/S and Baggage handlers (not glamorous, but if you are genuinely interested, you have many opportunities) - you can ask for the City Manager, Linda.

2. Contact private charter/tour companies, as they always need administrative help in the summer months when it's busy - there are quite a few around the city (GoBus, GrayLine NY, etc.)

Not to mention, these jobs pay (not much), but they pay.

Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...

Archived