Bx30 LIMITED idea

GreatOne2k

Anyone think the Bx30 should be come a LIMITED stop bus during rush hours?

The LTD stops will be on Bainbridge Avenue, Gun Hill Road, and Boston Road.

Bx30 would be local in Co Op City, and LTD everywhere else, this can work since the Bx30 shares bus stops with other routes, or has other bus stops no more than a block away (Boston Road W60, W61, W62). This would save the MTA some money and speed up the ride for some commuters. MTA once had the idea for a Bx28 LIMITED, maybe they can do this with a Bx30 LIMITED instead.

Possible LIMITED stops

EAST 206TH ST /

ROCHAMBEAU AVE (D)

BAINBRIDGE AVE /

EAST 210TH ST Montefiore Hospital

EAST GUN HILL RD /

WEBSTER AVE Metro North, (Bx41), (Bx41) LTD, (Bx55) LTD

EAST GUN HILL RD /

WHITE PLAINS RD (2),(5), (Bx39), (Bx41), (Bx41) LTD, (Bx55) LTD, BxM11

EAST GUN HILL RD /

BRONXWOOD AVE (Bx8)

BOSTON RD /

EAST GUN HILL RD (Bx28), Bx38, W60, W61, W62

BOSTON RD /

EASTCHESTER RD (Bx31), BxM10

BOSTON RD /

BAYCHESTER AVE (5)

BOSTON RD /

CONNER ST (Bx16), W60, W61, W62

All local stops in Co Op City

I'd use the Bx28 over the Bx30 as LTD.

-The Bx28 has more ridership over the Bx30 / Bx38.

-Bx28 is pretty much longer, especially since it heads to Kingsbridge / 192nd St.

-Bx28 runs entirely on Gun Hill Rd, with the Bx38, unlike the Bx30.

-The 60/61/62s headway are a bit more higher then the Bx30, which may not not please passengers, plus it doesn't run on Gun Hill, nor does it fully interline the Bx30, just sticks to US Route 1. Only interlines from Connor St and Gun Hill.

A Bx30 Limited isn't a terrible idea but I can see the (MTA) wanting to make a Bx28 Limited first, like you said, since Gun Hill Rd is busier and more direct.

Sounds like the "BX30" needs better headways before a limited should be considered. The "BX28" needed limited stop service since like 2008 at least during rush hours. Not to mention Gun Hill Rd. is a hugely important and busy local street connecting COOP City and Northeast Bronx to Riverdale and the NW Bronx.

A Bx30 Limited isn't a terrible idea but I can see the (MTA) wanting to make a Bx28 Limited first, like you said, since Gun Hill Rd is busier and more direct.

I'd use the Bx28 over the Bx30 as LTD.

...were my sentiments upon reading the thread title... which is why I didn't bother responding to this particular idea....

It's a noble attempt to try to steer some of the riders more towards taking Bx30's by introducing LTD service, but let's face it... the 28 are where the riders are at.....

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone think the Bx30 should be come a LIMITED stop bus during rush hours?

The LTD stops will be on Bainbridge Avenue, Gun Hill Road, and Boston Road.

Bx30 would be local in Co Op City, and LTD everywhere else, this can work since the Bx30 shares bus stops with other routes, or has other bus stops no more than a block away (Boston Road W60, W61, W62). This would save the MTA some money and speed up the ride for some commuters. MTA once had the idea for a Bx28 LIMITED, maybe they can do this with a Bx30 LIMITED instead.

Possible LIMITED stops

EAST 206TH ST /

ROCHAMBEAU AVE (D)

BAINBRIDGE AVE /

EAST 210TH ST Montefiore Hospital

EAST GUN HILL RD /

WEBSTER AVE Metro North, (Bx41), (Bx41) LTD, (Bx55) LTD

EAST GUN HILL RD /

WHITE PLAINS RD (2),(5), (Bx39), (Bx41), (Bx41) LTD, (Bx55) LTD, BxM11

EAST GUN HILL RD /

BRONXWOOD AVE (Bx8)

BOSTON RD /

EAST GUN HILL RD (Bx28), Bx38, W60, W61, W62

BOSTON RD /

EASTCHESTER RD (Bx31), BxM10

BOSTON RD /

BAYCHESTER AVE (5)

BOSTON RD /

CONNER ST (Bx16), W60, W61, W62

All local stops in Co Op City

I don't know if that's possible to you, man.:P I would probably prefer that the idea on implementing Limited-Stop Service in Co-Op City should be on the Bx38. Here are a few reasons to that:

-It can follow the Bx23 and make limited stops between Erskine Place Loop and Bartow/Edson Avs, along the Bx28LCL between Bartow/Edson Avs and Bainbridge Av/E 206th St, then all local stops to/from E 192nd St near Fordham Center.

-The Bx28LCL would have its service along the pre-June 2010 route be reinstated.

-Plus, it would also end service at Bainbridge Av/E 206th St in Norwood all times except evenings, late nights, and early weekend morning hours.

-Just like other Limited-Stop Buses around 4 out of 5 boroughs, the Bx38LTD will run all day (Monday-Friday 6:00 AM-10:00 PM, Saturday 7:00 AM-9:00 PM, and Sunday 8:00 AM-8:00 PM)

That should probably be the right thing for the (MTA) to do, besides, it might give a few riders a nice and fair ride along E Gun Hill Road.:tup:

sample PM rush hour headways from Bainbridge Avenue & E 210 St

BX28 - CO-OP CITY - EARHART LANE via GUN HILL ROAD

4:10, 4:25, 4:40, 4:55, 5:10, 5:25, 5:40, 5:55, 6:10, 6:25, 6:42, 6:57

BX30 - CO-OP CITY / EARHART LANE

4:11, 4:18, 4:26, 4:33, 4:41, 4:48, 4:56, 5:03, 5:11, 5:18, 5:26, 5:33, 5:41, 5:51, 6:01, 6:09, 6:19, 6:29, 6:39, 6:49, 7:01

BX2838 - CO-OP CITY BAY PLAZA via GUNHILL

4:18, 4:33, 4:48, 5:03, 5:18, 5:33, 5:48, 6:03, 6:18, 6:35, 6:50, 7:05

The Bx30 is the more frequent of the three routes individually. It would be cheaper to do LTD on the Bx30 using existing service. A Bx28 LTD without adding more service would be too infrequent.

What MTA could do is make the Bx28 run its daytime route all times (including late night), run the Bx23 24/7 (to replace the late night Bx28 in upper Co Op City with NYC 100% reimbursement) and use the savings to offset some of the costs of adding more service to the Bx28 during rush hours in order to run LTD.

Does the (MTA) want to use the city's reimbursement though?

The Q21 change from last month, for example, was cost-neutral, even though the city's blank check pays for it.

I don't know what's going to happen to the blank check when Bus Co. and NYCT merge, maybe that's a reason why the (MTA) doesn't want to use it.

Just speculating.

I would like the idea of a Bx28 Limited, but more service would be needed. Like you said, the Bx28 is too infrequent in the PM (as it and the Bx38 together don't meet the headaway requirements of every 5 minutes) and even then, people might just crowd on the Bx28 Limited and leave the Bx38 underutilized.

This would cost some $$, but I would have Limited service to to the North and SOuth sections of Co-Op City, and Local service to the North (Some Limited trips would end at 205th St (D))

The idea with more frequent Limited service is that it will try to avert the problems that often come up with situations like this, the Limited is Local are utilized disproportionately. Local riders would get upset at less service are s amny Limited buses, but it would hopefully pay ff with less crowded local buses (and people West of Boston Road will have the Bx30)

So, headaways for the three services would have to be worked out. And the question that has to be asked is, is a Limited Gun Hill Road bus route even worth it?

Archived