State Senate bill would outlaw food in the subway

Nova RTS 9147

I think it's an OK idea, but it will never really work, and if it does it will take a decade to enforce and actually make an impact. However, not everyone is a nasty slob. I eat on the trains and buses all the time. This is NYC, NOT Everywhereelseville. People often don't have time to eat before or after they get off the train.

If I'm an an (A) Train which is being held up for emergency track work and I am hungry, then you tell me what I'm going to do!

That's just the thing. Who would enforce snacks V. meals? Food is food. Doesn't matter what it comes in.

Well, I guess it all comes down to a big 'war on litterbugs' then. If the person is caught leaving their trash behind, slap them with a fine.

I think the idea against such meals v snacks is because a meal can be greasy and have lots of potential for a bigger mess. Snacks, if most of the contents are eaten is just a wrapper and less of work to clean up. On a crowded train {like that vid a while back}, I'm not taking the chance of some nut bitching at me to stop eating because they don't like the smell or someone bumping into/sneezing on the food. There's enough germs in the system, I don't want to eat meals 'contaminated' by such germs. I'll eat a snack and get my meal outside the system. - IMO

If anything, this bill might INCREASE the rats on the subway since people may throw their uneaten food in the trash cans if they see a train approaching rather than risk bringing it on the train and getting a ticket. Uneaten food in trash cans = more of a rat problem.

There already is a law on the books for littering and that's the one that should be enforced.

That's a good point. If there are fewer food items on the tracks, they might crawl into the trash can for the meal and that means there would be more rats on the platforms. That's a scary thought.

Yup, that would be much easier to enforce than this outright ban. People that keeps referring to the DC Metro are comparing apples to oranges. DC is 40ish and for the most part 'built at the same time' compared to the subway where it is well over 100 years and built in segments by different companies. Unless there was some way to seal up every single hole in the subway, there will never be an end to the rats.

How about NO...

Will not work, nor will it ever...

I see people all the time eating food on the train. Yes its some what annoying smelling food and seeing rats around, but no way do I want to handle this. I mean, if its chips, I still gotta get fine for this?! Or even a drink?

There are people who are disabled and need to eat or drink, pretty much those with health problems.

All these people NEED to DO is be responsible and stop littering in the freggin train.

Maybe add built in bins to the trains? I know NJT MLVs have them as well as other commuter trains. If people are caught littering, then fine them.

Snacks im ok with in the system, with of course drinks. I'm so and so when it comes to dinner based items.

So how about those bins on most streets.... dirtiness is engraved in New York Culture , now NJ on the other hand is very clean. Look at our streets and PATH....granted it there less business and cleaned more frequently , but still bins do not seem to work in NYC....even tourists litter...

Even the guy that introduced the bill said it is hard to enforce. The point is just to get the idea that littering with food=rats into people's minds, so they are less likely to eat and drop food. Will this permanently change anything? Of course not, but no one really expects that. He compared it to the pooper-scooper law, which changed the culture to some extent, so that fewer people leave dog crap on the side walk.

I think it's an OK idea, but it will never really work, and if it does it will take a decade to enforce and actually make an impact. However, not everyone is a nasty slob. I eat on the trains and buses all the time. This is NYC, NOT Everywhereelseville. People often don't have time to eat before or after they get off the train.

If I'm an an (A) Train which is being held up for emergency track work and I am hungry, then you tell me what I'm going to do!

That's just the thing. Who would enforce snacks V. meals? Food is food. Doesn't matter what it comes in.

You couldn't make a rule and then differentiate btwn what types of food is acceptable. but it would be a unwritten rule of sorts, where they generally wouldn't bother you if you ate a candy bar and didn't litter but focus on the ppl who go in on some Chinese food, or McDs or spit there sunflower seeds and chicken bones all over the place.

Similar to how a speed limit is 55, 57 is technically illegal but your pretty unlikely to get pulled over..but if you going 80+ a cop would stop you.

Just have reasonable enforcement.

You couldn't make a rule and then differentiate btwn what types of food is acceptable. but it would be a unwritten rule of sorts, where they generally wouldn't bother you if you ate a candy bar and didn't litter but focus on the ppl who go in on some Chinese food, or McDs or spit there sunflower seeds and chicken bones all over the place.

Similar to how a speed limit is 55, 57 is technically illegal but your pretty unlikely to get pulled over..but if you going 80+ a cop would stop you.

LOL... Oh boy... The images are so graphic in my mind too... :eek:

DC has been taking shots at us for years.

but to be honest, we just have a i dont give a **** culture in ny and lots of ppl just dont care. We've gotten used to a level of dirtiness and grim in the subway and city in general and just accept it as normal. DC cops usu aren't actively checking riders for food cuz ppl are just used to the rules and it being clean and don't really fight it in large numbers. You'll get LOTS of dirty looks and and you'll just feel how taboo it is to eat in the train there and that alone serves as enforcement too. I was taking the last bite of a sandwich once while going thru the turnstyle in dc and I got screamed at by a transit cop or whatever they're called lol

rat.jpg

Actually lol i am serious if you go to certain parts of Texas or i think Montana (correct me if wrong)the speed limit is 80mph. No joke.:eek:

Again while State Sen. Perkins has the right idea, it's time for NYPD transit police to enforce long time existing laws. You don't give a summons to someone drinking a bottled water in 90-degree heat(unless of course they throwing the water bottle onto the tracks). You target the slobs who leave a KFC trash of eaten chicken bones onto a seat.

Actually lol i am serious if you go to certain parts of Texas or i think Montana (correct me if wrong)the speed limit is 80mph. No joke.:eek:

Again while State Sen. Perkins has the right idea, it's time for NYPD transit police to enforce long time existing laws. You don't give a summons to someone drinking a bottled water in 90-degree heat(unless of course they throwing the water bottle onto the tracks). You target the slobs who leave a KFC trash of eaten chicken bones onto a seat.

Watch the NYCLU file a lawsuit against NYPD, MTA, God, The 4H Club, etc. for targeting slobs.

The same could be said about hocking lungies onto the platform and trackbeds. Last time I checked the MTA Rules of Conduct, Section 1050.7.1, spitting is still considered a finable offence. Ignorance of the law is an excuse to make your wallet $75-$100 lighter. Speaking of which, using a lighter will also help your bank account lose weight.

How about enforcing "no smoking" statutes when it pertains to station cleaning crews and contractors? Nothing like watching a transit employee doing something that, nowadays, would get the average schmuck handcuffed or tased. Equal protection under the law; only, some are more equal than others.

Archived