Nova LFS Artic on M79?

Gorgor

Artics, or even low floors are needed on the M31 before the M57.

And why don't any of the 5th Avenue bus routes (M1, M2, M3, M4) have artics? Is there not enough room for them to turn around down by 8th Street or wherever?

Nah, the M1 - M4 don't need artics. I'm a regular on those lines (5th & Madison) and the service is frequent enough that it's fine. They get crowded, but the problem is due to traffic mainly and artics would make things worse because the buses would still bunch. They have a perfect set up (at least going up Madison Ave). The local buses M1 & M3 are set up so that the M2 comes first to pick up at the big stops and then the M1 & M3 come behind it and pick up at the smaller stops. It allows all three buses to move quickly up Madison (barring traffic of course), and often times the locals can be as fast as the limited. Coming down 5th, there seems to be no rhyme or reason though. The M2s and M5s take forever, while the M4 and Q32 come in packs. Same for the M3s and the M1s to some extent. Artics wouldn't help. With those lines there's enough change over that there is generally always room to get on. I can't think of one time when I had to let a 5th Ave or Madison Ave bus go by.

The M31 could use the artics, no question, but the M57 could too. Not as many of course, but some here and there would help.

Looking forward to seeing artics on the M57... #1 replace those RTSs :P and #2... Relieve overcrowding...

There's been an artic on the M57 quite a few times before, even an LFSA popped up on it (my jaw dropped when I first saw it lol). Look during rush hours and one will pop up eventually

It's been quite a while I was in the UES area. Then it was mostly RTSs on the M31. Is it all artics now?

No, not all of the time, just sometimes... They still have RTSs running along that line... Sick of seeing those filthy things too.... Those cushioned seats need to go... Time for new buses on that line... I used an RTS on the M57 the other night.... All I can is nasty... They try to keep the seats on those lines decent, but more times than not they are worn out.

95% RTSes still. Only difference is now it's the 9400-9600s, not the 8700-8900s, which were better since they were plain plastic seats, unlike the cushioned ones VG8 is complaining about. Every once in a while an artic pops up, and when they do it's usually a D60. Just saw 5268 on the M31 the other day.

They also stick those Orion NGs with the damn luggage racks on the M31 in the middle of rush hour which is so annoying. :mad: :mad: One time I was in Midtown and had to go home so I decided to take it back, and I was squashed by the back door with no room at all. No way was I going to stand on the steps while the bus was in motion, so I (and this other guy probably in his early 20s) sat on top of the luggage rack. I ended up getting off at 1st Avenue and taking the M15 SBS up because I couldn't take it any more.

They also stick those Orion NGs with the damn luggage racks on the M31 in the middle of rush hour which is so annoying. :mad: :mad: One time I was in Midtown and had to go home so I decided to take it back, and I was squashed by the back door with no room at all. No way was I going to stand on the steps while the bus was in motion, so I (and this other guy probably in his early 20s) sat on top of the luggage rack. I ended up getting off at 1st Avenue and taking the M15 SBS up because I couldn't take it any more.

LOL! I've seen them on the M1 as well during the heart of rush hour....

Those buses with the luggage racks should only be on the M60. They may as well have not installed them. Hell, the front section of those low floors have enough overhead space, that would've been a better placement for them. LF buses have few seats to begin with, why take more out? Also being placed right in front of the back doors, I'd be worried about some person snatching a suitcase just as they were to get off. Totally pointless and stupid, imo.

=

No, not all of the time, just sometimes... They still have RTSs running along that line... Sick of seeing those filthy things too.... Those cushioned seats need to go... Time for new buses on that line... I used an RTS on the M57 the other night.... All I can is nasty... They try to keep the seats on those lines decent, but more times than not they are worn out.

I agree about those seats being bad because they are filthy. But I don't understand why folks here are calling them 'cushioned'. They are maybe an inch thick and don't do much other than cover the seat. But yeah, I'd prefer they go with hard plastic only. I don't have any issues with the RTS's other than the seats.

I agree about those seats being bad because they are filthy. But I don't understand why folks here are calling them 'cushioned'. They are maybe an inch thick and don't do much other than cover the seat. But yeah, I'd prefer they go with hard plastic only. I don't have any issues with the RTS's other than the seats.

Yeah, they refer to them as "cushioned"... I guess because of the material that they use.... I still remember Bloomberg touting them as the next big thing. :) He said yeah they'll provide a more comfortable ride and they can be changed out... Quite frankly those seats hurt my rear after a while. The newer buses with the non cushioned seats are actually far more comfortable. As for the RTSs I ride them so rarely now that I find the stairs to be a PITA. Usually I'm dead tired and am walking with bags or something coming from Whole Foods making my way over to the X10, so find I them to a be a pain overall in comparison to the newer buses with no stairs.

Those buses with the luggage racks should only be on the M60. They may as well have not installed them. Hell, the front section of those low floors have enough overhead space, that would've been a better placement for them. LF buses have few seats to begin with, why take more out? Also being placed right in front of the back doors, I'd be worried about some person snatching a suitcase just as they were to get off. Totally pointless and stupid, imo.

=

IIRC, that's not even a real cushion...its some "vandal resistant insert" or something like that

To me, the only thing them things are good for is to keep my ass from sliding out the seat

• 2 weeks later...

It's not only crosstown.

My friend who drives M4 or M5 drove very quick and he is one of bus rider's favor.

Not only crosstown buses, also being SRO only on NICE Buses are dangerous as well with both old and new fleets because their speedy drivers.

Today, one of 8:30 Hicksville bus with new B/O overshot bus stop at Great Neck Station and ended up on Flushing bus stop.

Well coming back from Riverdale tonight on the BxM2, I noticed that a new artic was on the M60, so they're definitely moving them around.

Artics on the M60? Oh thank god, its about time. Only three stops in, the M60 always gets packed. We've needed this for awhile. I don't know why they didn't put the artics on the M60 when we first got them. :tup::tup:

Archived