Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Amtrak7

62 St Transfer Closure

(D)(N) 62 St-New Utrecht Av Station Transfer Information

All times until May 2012

Due to rehabilitation at the 62 St Station, the staircase between the (D) and (N) platforms is temporarily closed.

Use free* out-of-system transfer (with MetroCard) between (D) and (N) trains.

(D) to (N) Transfer

Exit station at 61 St and walk along New Utrecht Av to entrance at 62 St.

(N) to (D) Transfer

Exit station at New Utrecht Av and walk along New Utrecht Av to entrance at 61 St.

* You will not be charged an extra fare when you swipe upon re-entering the station.

This was posted today on the website without any advance notice. In fact a GO involving (D) via (N) was pulled a couple of days ago. Is this emergency work?

This was posted today on the website without any advance notice. In fact a GO involving (D) via (N) was pulled a couple of days ago. Is this emergency work?

How does the out-of-system transfer work anyway? Does it somehow know that you're transferring?

I know at Court St to transfer out of the G to the E I was handed a paper transfer when leaving the system for the G shuttle bus.

I know at Court St to transfer out of the G to the E I was handed a paper transfer when leaving the system for the G shuttle bus.

Don't you meant Court Sq or Queensboro Plaza?

When (2) was rerouted to South Ferry, (3) had no service beyond 14th St during G.O.

1-day I received transfer between South Ferry and Bowling Green.

Other day, agents just had gate open.

It also happened same thing when (A)(C) was skipping Fulton St, got paper transfer and other times just entering station bet Chambers St-WTC-Park Place & Fulton St Complex.

How does the out-of-system transfer work anyway? Does it somehow know that you're transferring?

Yeah, I always thought that that takes away a transfer. Bascially if you got on the subway first, but were saving the transfer for a bus, do you lose that transfer because of these OOS transfers?

Yeah, I always thought that that takes away a transfer. Bascially if you got on the subway first, but were saving the transfer for a bus, do you lose that transfer because of these OOS transfers?

If using a pay-per ride metrocard (in theory)it suppose to be an 2nd and free extra transfer to the 1x regular bus-subway or subway-bus transfer. Best example is the connection via SI Ferry between the SI Railway/SI Buses at St George Terminal-South Ferry (1)(R)(4)(5) and (M5) (M15) (M20).

Hope it's now clear. With that said, as almost all of you know by know, the pay-per ride m/c sometimes screws up and charges the extra fare.

Don't you meant Court Sq or Queensboro Plaza?

When (2) was rerouted to South Ferry, (3) had no service beyond 14th St during G.O.

1-day I received transfer between South Ferry and Bowling Green.

Other day, agents just had gate open.

It also happened same thing when (A)(C) was skipping Fulton St, got paper transfer and other times just entering station bet Chambers St-WTC-Park Place & Fulton St Complex.

Last summer I remember the G train from court sq to Another station don't remember it right now was a shuttle bus. When exiting the system at court sq I was handed a paper transfer for the shuttle bus and vice versa to get back in the subway after the shuttle bus was at the last stop. So to get back into the system after I was done coming back on G shuttle was handed another paper transfer to get into court sq again to get the E train at 23-ely.

I've used the (5) at Flatbush/Fulton to go to 59th/Lex; and without fail, when I reenter the 59th/Lex station, I get a free transfer whenever I use a Pay Per Ride card. I thought that wasn't supposed to occur when using the same line. Go figure. ;)

Really? Interesting. A loophole, nice! But does it still take the transfer as if you were going to take a bus. ie: that one transfer is counted at the turnstile and when you need to get on a bus, you have to pay. That part still confuses me.

I had to go to 8th Avenue on the N at about 10:45 AM yesterday (1/27) and before I left my residence I checked the Transit Authority's website at 9 AM and found out the N was running via the D Line from 10 AM - 3 PM (Wednesday - Friday) so I took the bus instead. When I checked their website on 1/20 if there were any service changes on the N Line for 1/27, there was nothing posted, so I presume t hat this change was made early on during the week of 1/24. I noted that there was posted signs at 8th Avenue inside and outside the station stating that there was no Manhattan Bound Service at the station.

Interestingly when I went to take the Coney Isiand bound N train at 8th Avenue at about 11:30 AM, I noticed that there were about 30 (or more) people waiting for the northbound N train. Someone must have heard me saying that there was no northbound service and finally they went to the people and told them to go to the Coney Island platform to take the train. All the other stations were deserted.

There was a lot of track work being done on the northbound tracks (15th Avenue, 20th Avenue as well as other places) that I observed on my way to Coney Island.

It uses up your bus transfer. Happened to me before.

A friend of mine who uses this station to transfer between the D and N trains in Brooklyn, told that the transfer does not work, and that he was charged an extra fare upon entering the station. He called the 511 number to complain about it, and the lack of notice.

I said that I would look this up, but I did not have the time. I am glad that other folk are also looking into this.

Mike

What I'm angry at is not the extra fare/MC transfer thing. It's that the MTA apparently has still scheduled (N) via (D) and vice versa GO's during middays/weekends for this time span. It's insane to expect people going to 8 Av to go to Coney Island and back out!

It uses up your bus transfer. Happened to me before.
Ah, that was my concern. Thanks for the warning. Well because I'm very dependent on buses, a transfer like the (F) in Manhattan will not be tried by me in the near future on a pay per ride card.

I was over there at 62 Street and I got out of the system to transfer to the (N), and I didn't have to swipe my metrocard. There was a worker at the New Utrecht Avenue booth, and he told me to go in through the door. This happened Friday night though.

If using a pay-per ride metrocard (in theory)it suppose to be an 2nd and free extra transfer to the 1x regular bus-subway or subway-bus transfer. Best example is the connection via SI Ferry between the SI Railway/SI Buses at St George Terminal-South Ferry (1)(R)(4)(5) and (M5) (M15) (M20).

Hope it's now clear. With that said, as almost all of you know by know, the pay-per ride m/c sometimes screws up and charges the extra fare.

Another analogy would be the (F) 63rd to 59th/Lex Metrocard transfer. There was one with the (7) and (G) before the transfer was built.

There is a Metrocard transfer at 207th Street on the (1) due to construction:

South Ferry-bound platform at Dyckman St is closed for rehabilitation

All times until June 2012

For service to this station, take the (1) to 191 St and transfer to a 242 St-bound (1).

For service from this station, take the (1) to 207 St (free transfer with MetroCard)

and transfer to a South Ferry-bound (1).

Alternate travel note:

Customers can also use the nearby Dyckman St (A) Station instead and transfer

between (A) and (1) trains at 168 St.

Ah, that was my concern. Thanks for the warning. Well because I'm very dependent on buses, a transfer like the (F) in Manhattan will not be tried by me in the near future on a pay per ride card.

The transfer at 59/Lex and 63/Lex. One can enter the subway at any station in the system, and within 2 hours enter at either of these 2 stations with a metrocard for free, BUT that is your bus transfer. The same with the former Court sq G to E transfer.

I emailed TA if the 62st/N.U. ave was a free transfer, and the reply was that is was NOT necessary to use your metrocard, but from what I see on Subchat, if you did use it, and it worked, THAT would be your bus transfer.

Thanks, yeah it's not right about the bus transfer being lost. It is not a 'free' transfer if the person was going to use the bus afterwards.

I was over there at 62 Street and I got out of the system to transfer to the (N), and I didn't have to swipe my metrocard. There was a worker at the New Utrecht Avenue booth, and he told me to go in through the door. This happened Friday night though.

The opposite was true for me. Friday I was in the area and tried out the 'transfer'. I got off the (N) to take the (D), but was directed to swipe my card by the station 'agents'. Though for me it didn't matter since I had an unlimited card, but what I don't understand is they have workers stationed at the entrances. Why not hand out those paper transfers? At least they'd get them back when the people get from one line to another and save on this MC transfer 'scam'.*

*scam as in the MTA doesn't tell people this transfer uses up the bus transfer (if the person entered the subway first and was going to take the bus afterwards).

=

Since it seems like it doesn't 'require much work' to change the turnstiles to accept an OOS transfer, what's stopping the MTA from doing this for the (3)-(L) and (J)(M)-(G) lines? Those would benefit a lot more people for the long run and save on the need to build a physical connection.

Agreed on the transfer spots thing. If there's not enough ridership to justfiy building a physical connection, then the (MTA) wouldn't be losing that much money by creating out-of-system transfers.

The fake free transfer really needs to be fixed.

Guest lance25

The "official" reason why the Hewes St-Broadway and Junius/Livonia connections are constantly shot down is lack of potential ridership.

As to the Lexington Av-63 St/59 St transfer, I'm kind of in the middle of this whole thing. While it is unfortunate that you can lose your bus transfer by transferring, I can't justify fixing every single MetroCard reader to "see" Lexington Av-63 St as a "pass-though" so to speak. After all, how many people actually utilize that transfer in the first place? If Queens Blvd riders want Lexington Avenue service, there's the (E), (M) and (R) trains. If the 6th Avenue riders want it, the (M)'s right there as well. The connection at Bleecker/Bway-Lafayette will also reduce the need for the Lex/63rd out of system transfer.

Getting back to the point of this thread, yeah, one shouldn't have to swipe to get back into 62 St/New Utrecht Av. Either give out the paper tickets or leave the gate open.

The "official" reason why the Hewes St-Broadway and Junius/Livonia connections are constantly shot down is lack of potential ridership.

As to the Lexington Av-63 St/59 St transfer, I'm kind of in the middle of this whole thing. While it is unfortunate that you can lose your bus transfer by transferring, I can't justify fixing every single MetroCard reader to "see" Lexington Av-63 St as a "pass-though" so to speak. After all, how many people actually utilize that transfer in the first place? If Queens Blvd riders want Lexington Avenue service, there's the (E), (M) and (R) trains. If the 6th Avenue riders want it, the (M)'s right there as well. The connection at Bleecker/Bway-Lafayette will also reduce the need for the Lex/63rd out of system transfer.

Getting back to the point of this thread, yeah, one shouldn't have to swipe to get back into 62 St/New Utrecht Av. Either give out the paper tickets or leave the gate open.

Well of course it's low on potential as no one is going to waste another fare for a transfer. But it would be convenient for people to have more options especially to avoid having to get on a bus or taking a slightly long route just to save a fare. It seems programming the turnstiles is "not an issue".

I do agree about the 63rd st-Lex (F) stop, that's there to appease the angry (F) riders over the loss of direct to Lexington av service, but is otherwise inconvenient to use.

Agreed, ppr transfers would be ideal as it would be 'recycled' since there will be riders getting off one line for the other and vice versa. I don't think leaving the gates open would work as the workers have no idea if you just got out of one station to get to the other or if the person was in the area heading to either line (not transfering b/w).

About time. The old transfer was falling apart and had holes. I thought I would fall to the street below when I was using it. My brother was terrified of using it.