Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Stengel Depot

Nova Artics coming to Stengel

evening.i'm a b/o from stengel depot and wanted to let u all know that round noon today they had a new nova artic in the yard driving it through different parts of the depot. i assume to make sure it fits.lol. asked couple of drillers bout it.was told we will have 25 of them for the spring 2012 pick and 60 by the summer pick.was told they will be used on the 44 and 12 routes.not sure if you all knew this info already.

evening.i'm a b/o from stengel depot and wanted to let u all know that round noon today they had a new nova artic in the yard driving it through different parts of the depot. i assume to make sure it fits.lol. asked couple of drillers bout it.was told we will have 25 of them for the spring 2012 pick and 60 by the summer pick.was told they will be used on the 44 and 12 routes.not sure if you all knew this info already.

That sounds interesting. I'd rather D60s at Casey though... im not sure why.

That sounds interesting. I'd rather D60s at Casey though... im not sure why.

Probably the same reason I would like to see D60's at stengel. It's a queens division depot. And as such they are not familiar with articulated buses. And if you knew what I know about how they train drivers on new equipment, you'd realize as I do that those LFSA's are gonna get real f'd up real fast. That's why the logical thing to do is send some of those 52xx - 54xx D60's there to let them get familiar with maneuvering the artic, than send the LFSA's.

Probably the same reason I would like to see D60's at stengel. It's a queens division depot. And as such they are not familiar with articulated buses. And if you knew what I know about how they train drivers on new equipment, you'd realize as I do that those LFSA's are gonna get real f'd up real fast. That's why the logical thing to do is send some of those 52xx - 54xx D60's there to let them get familiar with maneuvering the artic, than send the LFSA's.

That would be more logical, and I agree with you on the LFSAs getting f'ud up real fast. Just a few runs on the Q44 for a day and see what happens. Send the D60s.

Im a Stengel operator who used to drive artics at 126. I never drove a bus before working at the MTA and I was driving Nova artics a month after being hired. My first time was in the M15 SBS during line training. I never had a problem as a rookie with no experience so im pretty sure the vets at Stengel would be able to manuever these buses without damaging them. Backing up is the only thing i would worry about. Also on the Q44 there will not be enough room for the buses to park at the terminals, especially at the Bronx Zoo, where 3 40ft buses barely fit at the stand

Well, I'm wondering how this is gonna work with the current assignment in place: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/mta-bus-operations-fleet-depots-30967.html ... As you guys can see, 100th Street is next up after Quill's delivery is complete, then Flatbush Depot, 126th, and Gun Hill. There's 90 additional LFSAs also in the air after Gun Hill's delivery, so perhaps Casey Stengel will take up a portion of it...

I totally agree with that. I think they need to throw some D60's in the mix. The thing is, the buses have different turning radii, so it would still take some getting used to.

Well, I'm wondering how this is gonna work with the current assignment in place: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/mta-bus-operations-fleet-depots-30967.html ... As you guys can see, 100th Street is next up after Quill's delivery is complete, then Flatbush Depot, 126th, and Gun Hill. There's 90 additional LFSAs also in the air after Gun Hill's delivery, so perhaps Casey Stengel will take up a portion of it...

Yeah, that assignment order/sequence may change 3 more times before all the buses are delivered. You never know whats going to happen when you have artics on the table. Especially since there are 700 coming in. Those things are liable to end up anywhere. The assignments for the remaining 90 are what I have been patiently waiting for.

Sadly, none for (MTA) Bus. Anyway, I agree with most of you. I would send older artics to Queens depots

I totally agree with that. I think they need to throw some D60's in the mix. The thing is, the buses have different turning radii, so it would still take some getting used to.

Yeah, that assignment order/sequence may change 3 more times before all the buses are delivered. You never know whats going to happen when you have artics on the table. Especially since there are 700 coming in. Those things are liable to end up anywhere. The assignments for the remaining 90 are what I have been patiently waiting for.

Something tells me that the last 90 MAY go in possible 3 ways

Scenario #1: West Farms (30), 126 (30), Gun Hill (30)

Scenario #2: Flatbush (30), MJQ (30), KB (30)

Scenario #3: Casey Stengel (30), Flatbush (30), 100 Street (30)

CS should have some D60's to mess around with first before getting the LFSA's. Probably the 57xx series from Gun Hill at the least to be sent down.

Something tells me that the last 90 MAY go in possible 3 ways

Scenario #1: West Farms (30), 126 (30), Gun Hill (30)

Scenario #2: Flatbush (30), MJQ (30), KB (30)

Scenario #3: Casey Stengel (30), Flatbush (30), 100 Street (30)

CS should have some D60's to mess around with first before getting the LFSA's. Probably the 57xx series from Gun Hill at the least to be sent down.

I'm almost certain they will not be divided up evenly. It will be based on need. Not to forget the New Flyers will play a roll in this as well.

Flatbush will be very interesting because I really don't think they have the capacity to hold as many artics as people think they do. I haven't been over there in about 5 years though..... Should be heading that way within the next couple of weeks though.

I'm almost certain they will not be divided up evenly. It will be based on need. Not to forget the New Flyers will play a roll in this as well.

Flatbush will be very interesting because I really don't think they have the capacity to hold as many artics as people think they do. I haven't been over there in about 5 years though..... Should be heading that way within the next couple of weeks though.

Yes, you do have a point. I almost forgot about them. The reason I put in 126 on is b/c they are getting the least on this latest order. I hope the part of the last 90 go to 126th.

But what I'm observing so far they haven't really gotten rid of the 52xx-54xx buses as part of this order. If anything they are mostly staying.

The Q12??? I don't think that route needs artics. And are the Q44 artic runs going to be 7 days a week?

Bye bye Orion V's! Better fan them before they are all gone. I think its strange to see a 60 footer replace a 40-footer... weird.

I also wonder why they picked the Q12. I mean it would be great to see articulated buses in my neighborhood, but I don't think an articulated could make the turn around at the end of the Q12 route on Glenwood Street (City Line).

I'll try not to run you down when I'm pulling out. :cool:

I also wonder why they picked the Q12. I mean it would be great to see articulated buses in my neighborhood, but I don't think an articulated could make the turn around at the end of the Q12 route on Glenwood Street (City Line).

They have GOOD reason to pick the Q12... In the mornings and rush hours the buses are packed to capacity from the first stop in Flushing or the trip TO Flushing depending on the time of day. It's pretty bad.

They have GOOD reason to pick the Q12... In the mornings and rush hours the buses are packed to capacity from the first stop in Flushing or the trip TO Flushing depending on the time of day. It's pretty bad.

The Q12 is usually NOT packed during midday hours and on weekends. A candidate route has to be a good candidate all day every day.

The Q12??? I don't think that route needs artics. And are the Q44 artic runs going to be 7 days a week?

I think Q12 buses need them from my observation when I did survey.

Most Q12 riders told me that Friday night trip is crush loaded.

When I was waiting for NICE at Flushing, it was insane line.

Most Q12 riders told me that Friday night trip is crush loaded.

It's not realistic to use one trip on a Friday to make a blanket judgment about service levels at all times and on all days.

The Q12 is usually NOT packed during midday hours and on weekends. A candidate route has to be a good candidate all day every day.

If anything, the smart thing to do would be to use articulated buses during the busier times

You're kidding me?:eek: The Nova LFSA Buses are going to Casey Stengel? Wow, I always wanted to see those buses go to the Jamaica Depot, well hopefully that the (MTA) would move the Q20A/Q20B to there and see those buses running on the Q44LCL/LTD from both the Jamaica Depot in Queens and the West Farms Depot in The Bronx.

They probably would reroute it at the end like they did with the Bx41 when it used to continue on White Plains Rd and onto 241 St instead of doing what the Bx39 now does in making a loop onto Nereid, 241 St, and White Plains so there is no u-turn anymore for the artics. That or just find a set a streets to turn onto before starting its route.

If anything, the smart thing to do would be to use articulated buses during the busier times

That's why the best candidates for articulated buses are routes whose "busier times" occur at all times.

The Q12 Is Crush Loaded most of the time, I see it all the time when i go to flushing, if anything they need to have arctics in Queens Village depot, during the rush hours you see a line of people that ends around the corner at both 179th st and 169th st, and thats for the Q36 and the Q43, the Q1 is a big help, but the Q12 DOES get a lot of people, during the midday its not packed but when rush hour comes Flushing is a hellhole