NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal: why no departure board showing gates?

SouthernRailway

Why in the world does the Port Authority Bus Terminal (40th-42nd St./8th Ave., NYC) not have a board or banks of monitors showing the gates used by departing buses?

I had to take a bus to the Meadowlands today (since NJTransit.com didn't show any trains going there today). The timetable for the route, #164, didn't show the gate for buses leaving this morning. So when I got to the Port Authority, I thought I'd ask. But of course all information booths were closed. I had to wander around the *#)( terminal, looking at every gate, until one homeless person volunteered to take me to the gate...which was the wrong gate (costing me a $10 tip, as that was all the cash I had), until I finally found the gate, after a nice rider told me where to go.

All of this frustration and expense could be avoided if there would just be a departure board. No airport or train station that I've been to has lacked one.

Why in the world does the Port Authority Bus Terminal (40th-42nd St./8th Ave., NYC) not have a board or banks of monitors showing the gates used by departing buses?

I had to take a bus to the Meadowlands today (since NJTransit.com didn't show any trains going there today). The timetable for the route, #164, didn't show the gate for buses leaving this morning. So when I got to the Port Authority, I thought I'd ask. But of course all information booths were closed. I had to wander around the *#)( terminal, looking at every gate, until one homeless person volunteered to take me to the gate...which was the wrong gate (costing me a $10 tip, as that was all the cash I had), until I finally found the gate, after a nice rider told me where to go.

All of this frustration and expense could be avoided if there would just be a departure board. No airport or train station that I've been to has lacked one.

The timetable for the Route 164 does show gate departure.

Check under "PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL DEPARTURE INFORMATION"

The timetable for the Route 164 does show gate departure.

Check under "PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL DEPARTURE INFORMATION"

I did (yesterday, in planning my trip), and it does...except for weekend mornings. My trip was Saturday morning, and it doesn't list the gate for trips between 1am and 12:50pm. (Edited to add bolding)

From the timetable:

PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL

DEPARTURE INFORMATION

144 - ALL SERVICE - Weekdays Gate Door

6:20 AM - 7:30 PM 224 2

145 - ALL SERVICE - Weekdays

4:45 PM - 6:55 PM 54 -

148 - Rt. 208 Express Service - Weekdays only

5:10 PM - 6:20 PM 54 -

164 - Local Service via Hasbrouck Heights -

Weekdays

7:50 AM - 10:00 PM 224 1

10:01 PM - 11:50 PM 409 -

164 - Essex St.-Hackensack Express Service (E)-

Weekdays & Weekends

12:50 PM - 10:00 PM 224 2

10:01 PM to 1:00 AM 408 -

164 - Saddle River Rd. Express Service (SX & SXB) -

Weekdays only

3:50 PM - 7:30 PM 53 -

Tickets Required - Customers are required to purchase a ticket or

I agree in principle that PABT is not all that organized (or "person friendly", so to speak) when it comes to mass relaying of information regarding departures... Putting that statement in plain ole everyday english, A departure board is necessary.... The system that's in place (if you even wanna call it a system) is highly antiquated.... There's enough people walking & running like chickens with their heads cut off inside the place.....

As far as those info booths (if you're talking about the ones you come upon as soon as you enter the physical bldg) are just about worthless IMO.... You ask for info about a particular route, and the lady gives you a timetable - and that is the extent of it.....

The (person at the) info booth up around the 300 gates is a lot more helpful... but their focus is obviously more on the NJT routes that leave from said gates on that level....

...and since when did they move some of the wayne routes to the basement level ?

If someone plans to ride a NJT bus route outta PABT, just buy your ticket at the NJT ticket window, and just ask the employee what gate that route departs from and they always told me and the info was correct. :cool:

That works too.

What I'll mention though is, that ticket window is on the 1st floor.... and most the NJT buses that depart out of PABT do so on the 2nd or 3rd floor.... The heavy flow of pedestrians in/out the place doesn't help matters either..... If they can't resort to implementing a departure board, I think it'd be a great help if the gate number (a route'll be leaving out of) was indicated on the TVM screen.... the gate number doesn't have to be on the actual ticket though.....

...and since when did they move some of the wayne routes to the basement level ?

It been a month or so now. They are renovating the upper level gates....before Wayne was down there, Rockland Coaches on 12,16,18,and 20.

If someone plans to ride a NJT bus route outta PABT, just buy your ticket at the NJT ticket window, and just ask the employee what gate that route departs from and they always told me and the info was correct. :cool:

Where? I walked into the PABT from near the corner of 42nd & 8th. There are NJ Transit vending machines there, so I bought my ticket there. There was no NJ Transit window anywhere that was open; I searched the terminal, in frustration, looking for one.

ETA: Also, if NJ Transit at least uses the same gates consistently enough to mostly print them on timetables, that should make it all the easier to have a departure board, since it wouldn't change much day to day. (Penn Station is much more complicated, with tracks constantly changing and not known in advance.)

Where? I walked into the PABT from near the corner of 42nd & 8th. There are NJ Transit vending machines there, so I bought my ticket there. There was no NJ Transit window anywhere that was open; I searched the terminal, in frustration, looking for one.

ETA: Also, if NJ Transit at least uses the same gates consistently enough to mostly print them on timetables, that should make it all the easier to have a departure board, since it wouldn't change much day to day. (Penn Station is much more complicated, with tracks constantly changing and not known in advance.)

The thing is, not only do u have no boards or no easy way to find anything, u also have clueless cops and PABT workers who are so oblivious, their almost shocked sometimes to find out NJ Transit even goes there when ask where is it. Long story short, a better directory and departures boards would help alot.

Just as someone stated buy your tickets from the njt ticket windows and ask that person. If you don't use pabt all that often but everyone once in a while you should have some sort of an idea where njt is located.

However I do agree a board would be somewhat useful, but with all the ppl running like they crazy I highly doubt ppl would even pay attention to it. The one in Camden ppl still ask the window person where the bus is boarding. Hell last time I did the 313 someone asked me what time the 405 was coming and I pointed at the board.

As someone that has worked at NJT and also been a passenger, I can tell you that PABT needs to step up it's game. While they have signs stating what gates is in what area, and what bus goes to what gate when you find it, at least a minimum system should be used, like the TV system that Penn Station Newark has for the bus lanes. If people really want a system where they see what bus go to what gate with LCD screens and up to date information, that'll cost money. I'm not gonna go into that since people say PABT has it while they still raise the fares on bridges and tunnels, which would have to be used if those upgrades would happen. It sucks, I know, and as a operator, I'm sorry you have to go through that, but PABT is still in the stone age. Hell, the GWBBS has better info on their lines than PABT does.

Just as someone stated buy your tickets from the njt ticket windows and ask that person. If you don't use pabt all that often but everyone once in a while you should have some sort of an idea where njt is located.

However I do agree a board would be somewhat useful, but with all the ppl running like they crazy I highly doubt ppl would even pay attention to it. The one in Camden ppl still ask the window person where the bus is boarding. Hell last time I did the 313 someone asked me what time the 405 was coming and I pointed at the board.

There was no NJ Transit window that was open on Saturday morning from 8:30-8:50am, from what I could find, and I searched though as much of the terminal as I could. The vending machines were right at the entrance, though.

There are departure boards at mobbed Penn Station and Grand Central.

The NJT ticket windows are in the South Wing, it's better to come thru the doors at 40th & 8th. The TVMs in the North Wing are there for the late night services when NJT has to use "the dungeon" aka the Greyhound gates.

Thanks for the replies. Can I ask: why in the world has the Port Authority not thought of a departure board? Even a big poster somewhere showing the routes and gates (since they don't seem to change frequently) would be helpful.

Is there an online website or app that shows PABT departure gates?

Is there an online website or app that shows PABT departure gates?

Here's a handy PDF file listing all the NJT that operate out of PABT (& GWB ) & what gates they all leave out of.....

Zippyshare.com - NJT PABT & GWB Gates (1-15-12 for Winter Pick).pdf

(all credit goes to SirJokaPlaya for this)

As someone that has worked at NJT and also been a passenger, I can tell you that PABT needs to step up it's game. While they have signs stating what gates is in what area, and what bus goes to what gate when you find it, at least a minimum system should be used, like the TV system that Penn Station Newark has for the bus lanes. If people really want a system where they see what bus go to what gate with LCD screens and up to date information, that'll cost money. I'm not gonna go into that since people say PABT has it while they still raise the fares on bridges and tunnels, which would have to be used if those upgrades would happen. It sucks, I know, and as a operator, I'm sorry you have to go through that, but PABT is still in the stone age. Hell, the GWBBS has better info on their lines than PABT does.

True those employees are overworked with questions it is sad you know your system is confusing when even police start giving bus directions that is a sad sight to see!!!!!!!!

Here's a handy PDF file listing all the NJT that operate out of PABT (& GWB ) & what gates they all leave out of.....

Zippyshare.com - NJT PABT & GWB Gates (1-15-12 for Winter Pick).pdf

(all credit goes to SirJokaPlaya for this)

Thanks, chief.

SouthernRailway, that .pdf is something I created when I was working at NJT. When I resigned, I kept it up to date for my immediate friends at NJT that wanna help. So, I hope that can help you somewhat.

How come your not banned yet from this board? if this was CPTDB you would have been long blocked. You come off as rude in every thread.

leave me alone I was simply referring to his rude remark towards me. Yet I get the heat for fighting back that isn't fair. I am not canadian buddy can't speak on anything canadian.

leave me alone I was simply referring to his rude remark towards me. Yet I get the heat for fighting back that isn't fair. I am not canadian buddy can't speak on anything canadian.

Then keep the BS to private messaging so the rest dont have to see this BS and or PM a mod then if your having problems with some board members.

All drama aside...

The real reason that there is no departure board is because of who operates the terminal. It costs money to install such technology (even though it's needed), and it takes special approval from the PA to do anything aside from load and unload passengers. There are too many companies operating for their own benefit to have them agree and unified on anything, particularly communication.

Greyhound USED to have departure monitors (when they worked), but that too cost them a ton of money every month to upkeep (they paid "rent" to the PA to install and use them). Frankly, no one ever looked at them, because they were wrong half the time anyway.

Bottom line: If someone gives the PA the money, they'll do it. Otherwise, we're talking about bus companies here........they generally don't like to spend money on such "amenities."

Archived