do any of you guys do this?

natureboy

When I go from point A to point B using the subways/buses, I always try to find the most efficient and quickest way to get there. Sometimes this would involve exiting a station and walking over to another nearby subway station in order to continue my trip (however, you would need to use another fare as it is not technically a transfer)

Here is an example:

If I needed to get from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Greenpoint, Brooklyn (assuming this is weekday rush hour)

I would take the (R) from Bay Ridge, transfer to a connecting express (D) or (N),get off and exit the Pacific St station, walk a few blocks over to the (G) Fulton St station ( instead of transferring at 4th Ave-9th st or transferring at Jay St Metrotech station) and continue my trip. I feel this is much faster than actually transferring to the (G) at a connecting stop.

I have an unlimited metrocard so it makes it a lot easier to do this versus if you had a pay per ride card.

Do any of you do this as well?

If you like walking, as I do, then it totally makes sense. I would even walk underground to get out at the Hanson Pl Exit and then avoid all of those long crossings. Seriously, if the MTA built a giant transfer station where all of those lines cross (i.e. adding the A,C, and G to the Pacific St-Atlantic Ave complex) our lives would be much easier!

When I go from point A to point B using the subways/buses, I always try to find the most efficient and quickest way to get there. Sometimes this would involve exiting a station and walking over to another nearby subway station in order to continue my trip (however, you would need to use another fare as it is not technically a transfer)

Here is an example:

If I needed to get from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Greenpoint, Brooklyn (assuming this is weekday rush hour)

I would take the (R) from Bay Ridge, transfer to a connecting express (D) or (N),get off and exit the Pacific St station, walk a few blocks over to the (G) Fulton St station ( instead of transferring at 4th Ave-9th st or transferring at Jay St Metrotech station) and continue my trip. I feel this is much faster than actually transferring to the (G) at a connecting stop.

I have an unlimited metrocard so it makes it a lot easier to do this versus if you had a pay per ride card.

Do any of you do this as well?

Yes, I did something similar to this.

When I used to go to school, I would take the (2)/(5) to Atlantic Ave, transfer to the (R) to 9 St, then transfer to the (F) to my stop.

There were times, when I would take a (5) to Borough Hall, then exit & transfer to the (F) at Jay St (I had a student pass).

Now, I don't know if this route is shorter, if anything it's probably the same timing & if not longer. Even if it is longer, it's a nice, scenic route, & I don't have to climb those horrendous stairs ar 4 Ave-9 St.

Yeah, it makes sense. Those "transfer" hubs are ridiculous! :mad: They're like freaking mazes. Gotta go up and down and around and all over to make a simple transfer. You're better off leaving the system to make the transfer. Last night coming back from Sheepshead Bay, since I was too late to catch the express bus, I had to take the subway back to the city. The (Q) wasn't running from Prospect Park to 57th so I doubled back and took the (Q) to Coney Island and transferred for the (N). Much quicker that way... Was about 45 mins from Coney Island to Manhattan, including the wait we had at Pacific. Makes me wonder why the (N) has express service in Brooklyn 7 days a week while the (Q) doesn't. The (:) should run 7 days a week.

Guest lance25

The transfer hub mazes are a byproduct of the days when the subway was run by three separate, competing agencies. They weren't intended to connect to each other, hence the current construction projects like the ones at Broadway-Lafayette/Bleecker Sts and Fulton St.

As to why there isn't express service on Brighton while there is on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn is due to a lack of need on the former and the track layout on the latter. Brighton riders for the most part aren't looking for express service over there on the weekends. The (N) runs express every day because of the way the DeKalb Avenue switches and bypass are set up. If the (N) ran local in Brooklyn, it would have to cross in front of the (Q) and (R) to get there, undoubtedly causing delays all around (unless you sent them via Whitehall, adding more time to people's commutes). Same thing with the (D) (minus the Whitehall part of course).

I've recently discovered that the walk is much shorter if you are going from the BMT at Atlantic Avenue to the (2) or (3) northbound if you do not use the free transfer but the exit at the northern end of the station instead. You avoid the long uphill ramp and you do not have to go outside either. As soon as you exit the turnstile, the other one is right there for you to enter.

The transfer hub mazes are a byproduct of the days when the subway was run by three separate, competing agencies. They weren't intended to connect to each other, hence the current construction projects like the ones at Broadway-Lafayette/Bleecker Sts and Fulton St.

As to why there isn't express service on Brighton while there is on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn is due to a lack of need on the former and the track layout on the latter. Brighton riders for the most part aren't looking for express service over there on the weekends. The (N) runs express every day because of the way the DeKalb Avenue switches and bypass are set up. If the (N) ran local in Brooklyn, it would have to cross in front of the (Q) and (R) to get there, undoubtedly causing delays all around (unless you sent them via Whitehall, adding more time to people's commutes). Same thing with the (D) (minus the Whitehall part of course).

Oh I know all of that... I still would like express service on the Brighton Line though... It saves a good 10 - 15 minutes. Living in Sheepshead Bay for years, folks further out would benefit from it.

I use the easiest way possible that doesn't involve multiple fares or a lot of transfers.

In your example, if I had a seat on the (R), chances are I would be if Im going north from Bay Ridge, I would just stay on the (R) till I got to 4 Ave/ 9 street and get on the (G) there.

Exceptions would be if the transfer point is in a bad area. If I was going from Howard Beach to Williamsburg, I would take the (A) to Jay St, catch the (F) to Delancy then catch the (J) and go backwards a lil bit, instead of using Broadway Junction.

The transfer at Atlantic/Pacific is insanely long. On my transfer from the LIRR to the (R) to Jay, I found multiple ways to shorten it.

Going west:

-Get off the LIRR @ Nostrand and catch the (A)

-Use the B67

-Use the exit in the middle of the LIRR platform

Going east, transfer to a (:)(Q) at DeKalb if I see it across the platform.

Yea, i do this sometimes. It's easiest in Manhattan because that's where a lot of lines tend to be a few blocks apart. Once, i was recording along the (6) via Pelham Line, and wanted to get to the (2)(5) via White Plains Road Line. So, i took the (6) to Whitlock Avenue, and walked a few blocks to Simpson Street station, and got onto the (2) because it was rush hour peak direction.

The (:( should run 7 days a week.

For express service along Brighton & for 6 Ave service at DeKalb Ave. Just sayin.

As to why there isn't express service on Brighton while there is on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn is due to a lack of need on the former and the track layout on the latter. Brighton riders for the most part aren't looking for express service over there on the weekends.

What? Do you really think Brighton riders don't need/want express service? Do you think, they are thinking to themselves, "Hm, the (Q) comes only every 12-14 minutes & they are packed, I don't think I need express service & a supplemental train." :)

I've used Brighton a lot, in the past few years, & would be all for a weekend (B) express! :cool:

What? Do you really think Brighton riders don't need/want express service? Do you think, they are thinking to themselves, "Hm, the (Q) comes only every 12-14 minutes & they are packed, I don't think I need express service & a supplemental train." :)

I've used Brighton a lot, in the past few years, & would be all for a weekend (:( express! :cool:

My sentiments exactly! Aside from that the ridership is there to run the (B) on the weekends.

Yea, i do this sometimes. It's easiest in Manhattan because that's where a lot of lines tend to be a few blocks apart. Once, i was recording along the (6) via Pelham Line, and wanted to get to the (2)(5) via White Plains Road Line. So, i took the (6) to Whitlock Avenue, and walked a few blocks to Simpson Street station, and got onto the (2) because it was rush hour peak direction.

Makes sense. I think this should be an Out-of-System transfer because it's more convenient than going all the way into Manhattan (or having to catch a bus to reach the (2)(5))

I've used Brighton a lot, in the past few years, & would be all for a weekend (:( express! :cool:

Well of course everybody wants more service, but in this day and age, you know the MTA is only going to add it if it's absolutely needed.

And besides, it would be cheaper to increase (Q) service than to run the (B) on weekends (you're only sending it up to 57th Street instead of 145th Street)

Well of course everybody wants more service, but in this day and age, you know the MTA is only going to add it if it's absolutely needed.

And besides, it would be cheaper to increase (Q) service than to run the (:( on weekends (you're only sending it up to 57th Street instead of 145th Street)

Everybody except for you.... :)

Well the shortcut I use the most for traveling to Jay Street is instead of taking the (F) from 179th Street to Jay Street, I take the (J) from Jamaica Center to Broadway Junction for the (A) to Jay Street. Which saves me a good 10-15 minutes.

Definite no brainer. I also like the scenic route of the J train and you avoid going through Manhattan.

General order, ie: if there's some construction going on and trains have to be diverted or riders need to take an alternative route.

=

As for the (Q) on Brighton, obviously it'd be great if the (:) ran as well or the (D) stopped at Dekalb to make transfering to the 6th av line easier, but the (Q) is the 24/7 line and it would be easier to just add more (Q) trains than running the (:( on weekends. If the (B) ran, it would mean less trains for the (Q) and (D) to run as they must accommodate it. So it isn't quite as simple as saying 'just run the (B)'. Buses don't need to share the same tracks.

Though the UWS could benefit from the (:( running to 2nd Av or the (D) running local instead of just the (C) on weekends.

I use the easiest way possible that doesn't involve multiple fares or a lot of transfers.

In your example, if I had a seat on the (R), chances are I would be if Im going north from Bay Ridge, I would just stay on the (R) till I got to 4 Ave/ 9 street and get on the (G) there.

Exceptions would be if the transfer point is in a bad area. If I was going from Howard Beach to Williamsburg, I would take the (A) to Jay St, catch the (F) to Delancy then catch the (J) and go backwards a lil bit, instead of using Broadway Junction.

If you're not going to take the (A) to Broadway Junction to catch the Manhattan bound (J) towards Williamsburg, I would recommend catching the Williamsburg bound buses (B44) or (B46) at either the Utica Ave station or Nostrand Ave Station. Unless you are really worried about the area of course.

Archived