SLOWDOWN! Transport Workers Union flyer urges ‘extra care’ at stations

Shortline Bus

WTF does railfans and the union have to do about installing Platform Windows! Sure, it might obstruct the view and the ability to take photos, but the WTF does that have to do with the overall decision of whether to install platform window screens or not! Second of all, CBTC isn't even fully installed on the (L), and when it is used (mostly during the weekends/late nights, I think), it's extremely unreliable, and it's very prone to breakdowns and malfunctions. Also, the cost of installing and maintaining these platform screens is astronomically high- money that the (MTA) does not have. Also, will there be screens that are tough enough to survive the demands of the system, and resists scratchiti (as well as other forms of vandalism, and being that this is NYC, I'm sure the vandals will find creative ways to screw this over) and withstand the elements? Both the (7) & the (L) have significant outdoor portions, so could the windows stand up against heavy winds, rains and thunderstorms? Also, can it accommodate the sharp curves of the BMT Eastern Division? Just my 2 cents.

About CBTC, I think it is fully installed on the (L), as from what I've read here, most of the wayside signals are gone on that line. I have to see so myself in about two months...(can't wait) Anyway, CBTC is also used on that line now, since it is the only way to control the trains, being that there are only few wayside signals. What isn't being used is ATO, from what I understand, and that is what's being tested on late nights and weekends.

About the platform screen doors, I totally agree. The railfans don't have anywhere near as much power as is needed to influence the decisions being made by the (MTA). I had also thought of the problem of how the platform screen doors would cope with the weather elements.. Plus, they could be prone to malfunctions which would enrage commuters...

I haven't heard of any slowdown either (other than people mentioning the news story), but it just occurred to me, this must be the purpose of the bulletin I saw last week, saying if we were five minutes and one second or more late to the terminal, we had to explain the reason to the dispatcher, and stuff like 'left the terminal late" or "held by a tower" along the way, would not be accepted unless proven.

I wondered why they would make a rule like that (and would they pay us overtime for it on a penalty job where you didn't have to go and sign out anymore), but in light of the contract fears, it figures.

Archived