Fastest Route

R160

I have a similar commute from Roosevelt to Jay Street. I have tried every combination you guys have listed. The (F) is the fastest hands down.

Oddly enough going the opposite direction I've had similar times to the (F) but there is negligible difference as I really could've just sat on the (F) the entire time. You'll have to be very (very) lucky (as in all the trains are there immediately when you transfer).

From Jay Street taking the (A) or (C) to Fulton then taking the (4)(5) to Grand Central to the (6) to the (E). I will say this option feels the fastest, but like somebody said time is lost to transferring. If I'm lucky I'll make it maybe 5 minutes earlier than I would have by taking the (F) of course assuming the trains were there immediately after transferring and all the trains run at maximum speed (probably never happens when you hop on so many trains)

Distance wise, the (G) should be the fastest, but the long wait times for a train to actually come, and the number of stops is the killer. If your lucky you can catch a (G) on a battery run or an (F) over the (G) line, but what are the chances of that happening.

The (E) to the (A)(C) combo is the second best, but I usually don't take it, since its just too crowded.

That being said, I wasted a lot of time trying these combinations, and I have always found myself going back to the (F). Maybe 1/50 rides you'll make it faster taking these other ways, but thats a pretty low chance. Hopping on the (D) does work, but really how many minutes do you save? 1 or 2 minutes depending on if the train passes another (F) ahead.

I generally prefer one seat rides. Or as little transfers as possible for the reasons stated above. Sometimes transferring screws your whole ride up. For example, If I was going from 179th St to the Port Authority, I'd be inclined to stay on the (F) to 42nd and walk to 8th Ave instead of transferring to the (E). Things COULD go smooth, but more than likely if I transferred there would be "train congestion" or some type of hold up along 53rd street or 8th Ave. Murphy's law.

In fact, not too long ago something like that happened. I was headed to Manhattan on the (F), I transferred to the (E) at Union Turnpike, something happened along Queens Blvd after we left 71st Ave. The Express tracks were backed up because of police activity or something at 5th or Lex Ave, we were stop and go initially then held, meanwhile the Local Trains(M)(R) appeared to be with no problem. The (F) that I was on was eventually held at Roosevelt Ave with the doors open, where I could have transferred to a local train or the (7) had I stayed on it, I was in the front car of the (E) so I was able to see through the T/O cab. My train was held behind it, between Roosevelt and Elmhurst Ave ugh.

Archived