Harlem River Dr vs Major Deegan Expressway

Via Garibaldi 8

] This crippling traffic and the reason why GWB CUSA routes should extend to LGA via astoria (N) and some to jamacia LIRR(off-peak and reverse) Northbound in AM and southbound PM beyond to LIRR OR just stay at LGA[/b].

What are you talking about? There is absolutely NO reason that ROCKLAND COACHES (keyword:ROCKLAND!) should be going anywhere past the GWB.

This thread has nothing to do with CUSA,Rockland,LGA or the LIRR. We are discussing the Bronx Express routes and the detours they take for traffic. If you cannot discuss this topic then please don't spam this thread!

What are you talking about? There is absolutely NO reason that ROCKLAND COACHES (keyword:ROCKLAND!) should be going anywhere past the GWB.

This thread has nothing to do with CUSA,Rockland,LGA or the LIRR. We are discussing the Bronx Express routes and the detours they take for traffic. If you cannot discuss this topic then please don't spam this thread!

also bronx express lines will gain traffic immunity as well. This benefits mta express bus riders. I mentioned it to several bronx commuters several ppl loved the idea. Look at the potential ridership GWB is missing by not going to queens the traffic speaks for itself.

You just relish any opportunity to slam buses... lol

I've always heard of it being like a parking lot during the Yankees' games. My co-worker would complain when he would use the BxM10... Now I know what he was referring about. So basically the Yanks got a new stadium with next to little transit/traffic improvements?? :P They got the Yanks to make some community improvements, but why not road improvements?? I also think that the (MTA) should run extra service during Yankee games. Around the time when the ballpark opened, my buddy Diego invited me to a game that same day and I left my office and went to Grand Central and it was a mob scene. The (4)(5)(6) platform was unbearable. I went and took the (7) over to the (D) and went up that way. It was a tad better that way, but still plenty of folks going to the game that way too. Coming back I got a ride back, but I would imagine that a similar crazed scene existed. :eek:

I would probably just stick w/the express bus and if I noticed that it was really bad then I would go to MetroNorth. To be honest, the (MTA) should have a cross honor system where express bus riders can use MetroNorth during heavily congested days when the Yankees are playing and allow folks to just pay the difference in price.

Don't mistake me for nexis lol buses are just not effective in manhattan but in outerboroughs and places without subways they work well. I agree with the cross honoring idea but you aren't the first to suggest that. Plus I only slam manhattan locals

I've always heard of it being like a parking lot during the Yankees' games. My co-worker would complain when he would use the BxM10... Now I know what he was referring about. So basically the Yanks got a new stadium with next to little transit/traffic improvements?? :P They got the Yanks to make some community improvements, but why not road improvements?? I also think that the (MTA) should run extra service during Yankee games. Around the time when the ballpark opened, my buddy Diego invited me to a game that same day and I left my office and went to Grand Central and it was a mob scene. The (4)(5)(6) platform was unbearable. I went and took the (7) over to the (D) and went up that way. It was a tad better that way, but still plenty of folks going to the game that way too. Coming back I got a ride back, but I would imagine that a similar crazed scene existed. :eek:

But how would traffic by Yankee Stadium affect the BxM10? I guess you get people from Connecticut coming to the games.

But how would traffic by Yankee Stadium affect the BxM10? I guess you get people from Connecticut coming to the games.

The BXM10 (barring traffic on the Bruckner Freeway)uses that highway along with rest of the Eastchester depot manhattan express buses. Then the Bronx River Parkway before exiting at East Tremont and traveling to Eastchester(Boston Rd)

Like you wouldn't imagine.

CT is not dubbed "Newyorkachusetts" for no reason....

LOL. Not to get off topic but not far from about a 90 minute drive away, another border area with NYC/Boston rival is the Albany area. Although it's mainly Yankee and NY Giant NFL country, there also some Boston fans i.e Red Sox, Pats and Bruins as well going to the Berkshires border w/ NY state. Border towns such as Hillsdale, NY(where the Taconic ends/starts and connects with the Mass Turnpike)to Lenox, Lee and Great Barrington, Mass. which is mixed w/ NY and Boston/New England sports fans.

Back to topic. Forgot to add that the 'new' Yankee Stadium is not just used for ballgames and concerts from April-October now. There now college football and an occasional boxing match well into November as well. So in a sense, Yankee Stadium is only "Closed" from January-April.

I don't see the point of the bx20 it duplicates other lines. Plus the 7 also takes you to GWB for NJT too.

Bx20 is more like shuttle because Bx10 is very long route.

People in Spuyten Duyvill commuties have direct access to Inwood Manhattan instead of taking Bx10 bus to Bx7.

People in Spuyten Duyvill commuties have direct access to Inwood Manhattan instead of taking Bx10 bus to Bx7.

The Bx10 can be as long as it wants.... the Bx20 has more to do w/ the Bx7; it simply serves the area of riverdale that the Bx7 doesn't....

I don't see why they don't have the Bx7 service split b/w serving the henry hudson side & the riverdale av side & call it a day....

Having it (the 20) being its own route isn't necessary.....

Yeah only Rush hours the Bx20 will kick in lol. Plus, the Bx20 is like an extension of the (A) if you could say. Transferring to the Bx20 out of 207 to the Duyvill. Plus I THINK people would also use it for the hospital near the Broadway Bridge,

Those in Spuyten Duyvill and Riverdale (West of Broadway), all have is the Express Routes, the Bx7/Bx10/Bx20, Hudson Railink to Metro North SD and Riverdale Stations). And of course the (1) with connection at 225th or 231st.

The Bx10 can be as long as it wants.... the Bx20 has more to do w/ the Bx7; it simply serves the area of riverdale that the Bx7 doesn't....

I don't see why they don't have the Bx7 service split b/w serving the henry hudson side & the riverdale av side & call it a day....

Having it (the 20) being its own route isn't necessary..

Well, that might not please those who wan't to go via Riverdale Avenue, where the Bx20/Bx10 doesn't serve. Since the MTA would have to bump up the headways.

What they COULD do, is extend the M100, like before, but have it replace the Bx20. Its long, but I don't see a problem. Other routes like the M2, M3, M4, M5, M101, etc are longer then the M100. Just like suggestions of sending he M100 to serve Marble Hill. I think its a good idea to restore the old M100, but instead as the 20 Bus to 246th Street(Or what ever the Bx20 ends).

Maybe even add a Bx7 or M100 LTD service. since it would interline from 168th to 231st and Riverdale Ave.

I can't say because I get on the BxM18 at Madison & 44th in front of the (MTA) building. The transfer point is at 26th & Madison for any Bronx folks that need other routes, though apparently there is another transfer point at 56th & Madison. I have no idea why either... :confused:

The other transfer points are for Queens express riders heading to or from Wall Street. The transfer privilege is a zero-cost way to "extend" the Midtown-only express routes to Lower Manhattan.

What they COULD do, is extend the M100, like before, but have it replace the Bx20. Its long, but I don't see a problem. Other routes like the M2, M3, M4, M5, M101, etc are longer then the M100. Just like suggestions of sending he M100 to serve Marble Hill. I think its a good idea to restore the old M100, but instead as the 20 Bus to 246th Street(Or what ever the Bx20 ends).

Maybe even add a Bx7 or M100 LTD service. since it would interline from 168th to 231st and Riverdale Ave.

Mark maybe you are too young to remember but prior to 1989, the (M100)used to run between Riverdale Ave./262nd and East Harlem at 2nd Ave/126th.

It was cut back to the current BX7/M100/BX20 set up because the "M100" was long and subject to extreme bus bunching/delays.

If anything I agree with (B35). Just call the BX20 portion the BX7a and maybe create a "BX7 Limited" between 231st-Bway (1) stop and GW Bridge Bus station at 178th St. The only extension needed for the M100 is to serve the Marble Hill Target shopping center. That it.

Guys if you want to talk again about the M7/M100/BX20, feel free please to create a new thread on it. Lets try to focus on the BXM express buses along the Degan or Harlem River Drive.

Do they still run that service pattern on the BxM1 where it bypasses spuyten duyvil/henry hudson pkwy that run on the deegan?

There used to be some morning runs that continued down riverdale av (with the Bx7), en route to the deegan....

Yeah, the BxM1 and BxM2 do only a few runs (I believe only two each in the morning) there where they take Riverdale Avenue instead of making all of the regular stops along the Henry Hudson Pkwy. Doesn't benefit me either way... It looks like the time that I leave both the BxM1 and BxM2 come together.... It's kind of crazy because it happened the other night when both of them came together and the BxM2 was behind the BxM1 and I was trying to figure out where he was stopping. lol If they don't think anybody wants them, they'll swing around the other bus and keep going. Reminds me of when the X13 and X14 would come together down Forest. Was always fun... :)

^^ I was asking if they still run em, period...

I didn't ask that question in lieu of suggesting a possible commute that'd be to your benefit......

anyway, thanks...

I know... I just made that point because I got screwed over with that stupid stop there on Riverdale Avenue a few weeks back when I went for a little tour up there. I kept mixing up the fact they run down the Henry Hudson Pkwy instead of down Riverdale Ave over there. Now that I've been up there several times, I've got it all straightened out.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old topic. Just wondering VG8 reactions on his BXM1/2/18 ridership w/ the parking lot traffic jam in the Degan now that the Yankee season has begun?

LOL... What parking lot??? I've had only two days where traffic was a problem so far and one was going to Riverdale last week on the BxM2 and coming to work on the BxM1 back in March. The traffic this week has been a breeze. I don't see myself being affected since I leave work almost around 20:00. Last night I got home in less than 30 minutes. I got on the bus around19:45 and got off at 20:11. B) The BxM18 has been more crowded of late coming home.

VG8 although most weekday(Monday-Friday games)start at 705pm on occasion because of games shown on ESPN/TBS a couple of game can start as late as 8pm as well. Or rain delays starting the game at 8pm or later as well. So keep that in mind.

Even so the B/Os will just use side streets like we did last week on the BxM2. It only cost us maybe 5 minutes more if that on one run to Riverdale. All depends on the driver though. That night my BxM18 had bypassed me I went looking for the B/O to ask him why, so I took what I thought would be the corresponding BxM2 run in (some BxM18s come back to the city as BxM2s from my experiences) and the driver drove like a snail so it took forever to get up to Riverdale, esp. with the traffic on the Major Deegan, for which there seemed to be no answer for. I took the BxM2 back to the city to try to catch that B/O that bypassed me but he went back to the depot after his BxM18 run, so I went back to the city since I was hungry and wanted something from Whole Foods. Going to the city was a breeze and coming back on the BxM2 to Riverdale, I had a different driver who clearly knew all of the shortcuts to avoid the Major Deegan in the bad spots where it can back up.

VG8 although most weekday(Monday-Friday games)start at 705pm on occasion because of games shown on ESPN/TBS a couple of game can start as late as 8pm as well. Or rain delays starting the game at 8pm or later as well. So keep that in mind.

Don't forget there are some Wed/Thur Matinee games can start anywhere between 1:00-1:35. So traffic is heaviest on the Thruway, Major Deegan Expwy vs the Harlem River. Harlem River does carry alot of traffic, but i feel that HRD is used mostly on night games. Also dont forget that the side streets leading to the stadium are also prone to traffic on matinee games. 145th and 155th street bridges & the concourse are heavy around those times..

Don't forget there are some Wed/Thur Matinee games can start anywhere between 1:00-1:35. So traffic is heaviest on the Thruway, Major Deegan Expwy vs the Harlem River. Harlem River does carry alot of traffic, but i feel that HRD is used mostly on night games. Also dont forget that the side streets leading to the stadium are also prone to traffic on matinee games. 145th and 155th street bridges & the concourse are heavy around those times..

Even with that I'm not that worried. I leave work past rush hour anyway, so I don't expect much traffic. I'm leaving the office in a little bit so I doubt I'll encounter much traffic. This morning was a real breeze, plus we didn't stop on the BxM1 until 79th street, which was surprising. 96th street and 86th street are usually two big drop-off stops.

Archived