Need info on NYC TA procedures for exiting a bus

Jay

I am trying to find out what the NYC TA procedures are for lowering the platforms at the front of the bus to make it easier for passengers to exit.

I am also interested in learning where at the bus stop, the bus should stop.

Any help is appreciated.

Regulations require that we get close to the curb as possible, and keep the bus parallel to the curb. Now if the bus stop is obstructed by illegally parked vehicles, then we're to stop and parallel the bus with those vehicles in the safest way possible. For example: if there's 2 cars in the stand, and no way to park behind them, then you throw your hazard lights on, bring the nose to the tip of the stop to block in the vehicles (protecting your right side and passengers exiting), kneel the bus and discharge.

Bus should have at least 3 ft. clearance from any obstruction in front of the bus to depart.

Sometimes 4-5ft. helps to avoid cutting the wheel even further to get out. Why make it harder if you don't have to?

I am also interested in learning where at the bus stop, the bus should stop.

Bus stops are usually over 40' long, anywhere within that space may be appropriate. I have stopped midway in stops because of need to deploy lift, have gone all the way to the top making room for a bus behind me. Have stopped in second lane from curb because of ice, little kids running around in bus top mom & dad chatting on cell oblivious. Don't fight you b/o over this, try to figure out why first, unless he is just being an ass when you the only one in the stop, then ask him.

Archived