Redbirds on the 1?

pelhamlocal

i know that the redbirds didn't have the (1) or (3) line side dest. signs.:P

They did have hte (1) and (3), and some even had the (9) later on. The reason some of em don't was due to a major track construction project on the Lenox Avenue part of the (2), and then only the ones that were from the (2) and (5) would have had that sign, the ones from anywhere else would have had all the readings.

I did see a red 36 on there once, around '87-88. This during the time when the sole handful of WF 36's on the mainline floated to different lines: from the (6) to the (2), to the (5) and (4). So they did show up on the (1) that once.

There were some WF R36s assigned to the (2)/(5) (possibly filling in for R33s in GOH) in the late 87-88 era, so probably they wandered over to the (1) and (4) as well. These cars might have been "strays" from Corona, "in exile" from Flushing due to the GOH program, which began in 85. Of course the (6) had the ML R36s and some Westinghouse WF units (9400/9500s) along with WE R29s starting in 1986.

I cought a Redbird on the (1) back in 2001 when the (1) was going to new lots, i thought it was a (2) but the front roll sign said (1) the side signs just said special so it was a (1) train, as soon as it got to New Lots they took it OOS, it was basically a full in for a missing train, so this train only did 1 round trip and i was just lucky to grab it

No Redbirds appeared on the (1) or (3) once when the R62As appeared. Before the R62As washed variety away on both those lines by the mid 1987 both lines were a mix of various cars like R17/21/22/29/33/36 cars. Before 1984 those two lines were also a mix of R12/14/15 cars on top of the R17-36 cars all of which were either in the MTA's blue and silver paint scheme, white colored, and were also heavily vandalized too. :P

At 4:22-10:11 shows you what everything looked like before the Redbirds and R62As dominated the IRT.

Funny Cause I was thinking about the same video I favorited it on YouTube.

Archived