Upcoming Telephone Maintainer test/practical

Grunt

Great info about that test . Really appreciate it. :) Taking the test on FRIDAY6/22. hey, hope its not too much trouble to ask, but some questions about the exam............im trying to really get a better idea of what to expect.....1) when you say circuit symbols, can you be anymore specific about what symbols to know-was the entire oral portion just matching these symbols to the questions they asked out loud???2) and measuring resistance and feet, did you do that with the cable analyze for copper(you stated they gave you the fluke tester) ?? 3) when you say resistance calculations, was that just by using ohms law-equation and a calculator??? 4) Did they just ask you to make a t1 loop plug, or did they have you testing ? 4) as far as fiber, should you just know definitions of multi mode, single mode fiber? you mentioned something about connectors. were they just symbols on the table you had to match. anything else you recall or more specifics about anything? anybody else have any input who took exam??? any info would really be appreciated. how do you think you did? was there a lot of guys and how long did the whole process take? how many questions was the oral portion(i.e. how many symbols)????? was there a time limit? did they mention about when results would be coming?

For the test know:

how to measure resistance and the distance to the short circuit by using a fluke meter

build a 568a & 568b cord

build T1 loop back

troubleshoot DT to a jack

punch down pairs 66 block

run a cross connect

listen for DT

measure DT by volts using a meter or fluke meter

get DT from 66 block to telephone

electronic symbols (i.e. sine wave, series circuit,diode)

connectors on a fiber cable (sc, st,etc)

ohms law, how to deterime current, voltage , resistance

how to measure resistance in a circuit

color code, but you can look at the pre wired block,terminal

Testing might go on til August

I was told today by an examinator that they only plan to hire 40 people.

Should have results by the fall.

Are you asking who my first liner was? I had too many too count. My last 2nd liner was Jaques Butler. Before him was Dennis Davis.

Yes, who was your first level?

I worked for Jacque also, was there for Dennis, Fieler (not mike). Funny how they both got fired

Yes, who was your first level?

I worked for Jacque also, was there for Dennis, Fieler (not mike). Funny how they both got fired

VZ is about to do another Riff, they still haven't signed the contract that expired almost a year ago. It's not looking good for our ex CWA brother and sisters, but good that they still have their jobs. They had to bring back Ivan to negotiate the contract, that's crazy. That cowboy McAdams hates unions so go figure!

VZ is about to do another Riff, they still haven't signed the contract that expired almost a year ago. It's not looking good for our ex CWA brother and sisters, but good that they still have their jobs. They had to bring back Ivan to negotiate the contract, that's crazy. That cowboy McAdams hates unions so go figure!

Yes, I know about the rif. The union is dumb, they should have walked the last contract when they had the company by the balls when fios wasnt 98% build. but they saw all that overtime due to the hurricane and everything was short term. they should have stayed out when they walked a couple months ago. The company is done with copper and fios is up and running where they want it to be, there isnt going to be any new build, therefore they dont need the techs or as many. after the rif their main intent is to break the union. dont be surprised when verizon changes their name (probably to Frontier, its already in the works) new company, no union, only temp contract workers. verizon will only be around five more years tops.

Ivan aint shit. he started out as a cable splicers helper in the bronx. the guy he worked with used to drop him off at the subway so he could go to school while on company time. Ivan f**ked this company up all while padding his pockets. he got a very very sweet deal before leaving. all while the plant went to shit.

• 2 months later...

just got letter in mail yesyerday. they are offering me employment as provisional telephone maintainer. Going for interview and i think drug screening on Thurs. However, still no word on results from practical exam 2608 that i took in june. I was told at exam thAT WE WOULD HAVE RESULTS BY SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER. Thought it was wierd that even with the list coming out, that they decided to call for provisional appointment??????? any thoughts on what this may mean??? How does it work if I am hired as provisional worker and then results come in for practical? Does it matter at that point how high i scored or what my list number is, or do i just have to pass because i would already be on payroll as a provisional worker? do i automatically become permanent status if I passed the exam?????? Anybody have any insight or info on what to expect. Did anybody else get contacted by any chance or know anything about what any of this could mean??? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

just got letter in mail yesyerday. they are offering me employment as provisional telephone maintainer. Going for interview and i think drug screening on Thurs. However, still no word on results from practical exam 2608 that i took in june. I was told at exam thAT WE WOULD HAVE RESULTS BY SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER. Thought it was wierd that even with the list coming out, that they decided to call for provisional appointment??????? any thoughts on what this may mean??? How does it work if I am hired as provisional worker and then results come in for practical? Does it matter at that point how high i scored or what my list number is, or do i just have to pass because i would already be on payroll as a provisional worker? do i automatically become permanent status if I passed the exam?????? Anybody have any insight or info on what to expect. Did anybody else get contacted by any chance or know anything about what any of this could mean??? Thanks

Maybe they liked your skills and may be given a chance to retake the test again or you passed, weren't informed of you results. Why haven't they sent out letters yet? I was told by September, the month is almost over. Congrats and good luck by the way!

• 2 months later...

I received a letter on dec 5 for a pre employ on dec 7 for a temp telepone maintainer. I took the drug test and got the any book form to fill out. My question is being a temp how ong they would need me for or is just to see how I make out in the field? I don't want to quit my current position just to work for only a few months. And how long until I get called back for the second round?

I received a letter on dec 5 for a pre employ on dec 7 for a temp telepone maintainer. I took the drug test and got the any book form to fill out. My question is being a temp how ong they would need me for or is just to see how I make out in the field? I don't want to quit my current position just to work for only a few months. And how long until I get called back for the second round?

That something to think about. How long is the temporary position and will you have paid time off from work. I got called down for a temp position after taking the Electronics Maintaner exam and I can't see giving up paid time off, no weekend work, and working from home to boot.

But if I was out of work I would gladly except the temporary position.

is funny how i never recieved the exam result i thought i failed on something. well maybe i did if i was called for just a temp lol.

You passed just probably didnt score as high as everyone else called in on september. The position is only temp because the official list did not come out as of yet. You could wait till the official list comes out alot of ppl did.

You passed just probably didnt score as high as everyone else called in on september. The position is only temp because the official list did not come out as of yet. You could wait till the official list comes out alot of ppl did.

By any chance do u know how long is the wait after the initial drug test. Also when they put me on the temp list is there any chance I would work in the mta or they just wanted to have a backup just in case the first list fall through?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been waiting 7 months for a grade I have not heard if I passed or failed practical. I have 18 years with verizon I am pretty sure I passed so how do we find out.? has anyone gotten a grade?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived