Expanded Underground Cell Phone Service to be Available This Summer

Guest Lance

Guest lance25

Stations:

47-50 Sts/Rockefeller Center and 57 St (6th Avenue)

18 St through 96 St (7th Avenue)

42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal through 96 St (8th Avenue/Central Park West)

5 Av-53 St and 7 Av (Manhattan)

23 St through 5 Av-59 St (Broadway)

Cellphone, Wi-fi Service Expanding to More Subway Stations - Metropolis - WSJ

And once again, before anyone says anything about the (MTA) wasting money on frivolous expenses, they aren't footing the bill. Transit Wireless is covering the entirety of all expenses on this ongoing project.

Absolutely true; I'm working platform at Continental Northbound, an R-46 (F) rolls in on the southbound express track... doors pop open, woman on her digital device neglects to look up before walking forward. Next she's screaming for help because she just walked between the cars and is on the roadbed... yes, someone got the Conductor's attention in time.

She may not be an idiot (God knows best), but that was idiocy and it could have gotten her killed.

Absolutely true; I'm working platform at Continental Northbound, an R-46 (F) rolls in on the southbound express track... doors pop open, woman on her digital device neglects to look up before walking forward. Next she's screaming for help because she just walked between the cars and is on the roadbed... yes, someone got the Conductor's attention in time.

She may not be an idiot (God knows best), but that was idiocy and it could have gotten her killed.

And the C/R was taken out of service...

Guest lance25

Really, how often does stuff like that happen on the elevated stations? You guys are acting like it's a damn epidemic where people just waltz off the platform without a care in the world. Sure there probably are people who do just that, either by stupidity or carelessness, but let's not write this off as the worse idea ever simply because of the actions of the aforementioned idiots who are too busy playing Angry Birds or checking their Facebook statuses to look up.

Great.... One more place for the yentas to yap about. On a side note, I actually got a text message on the (4) train today coming up from Downtown to 14th street. Kudos to Verizon for excellent service. :cool:

Also being with Verizon ;), I get service at, Hoyt St, Nevins St, & Atlantic Ave! :cool:

I Also got some at Kingsbridge Road (D). I'm testing at different stations. :)

Awesome! Expect increase chances of robbery for use of electronics in the system, a lot more. A phone is ok. But people will now use there laptops and touch screen devices for internet, and likely get robbed. Then the MTA ill get a foot up the a$s because of this.

As for Sprint, i hope they do. That way, Boost & Virgin Users can use phone serves.

Same for those of Verizon, Metro PC, Tracfone Family, etc. But thats unknown yet!

Awesome! Expect increase chances of robbery for use of electronics in the system, a lot more. A phone is ok. But people will now use there laptops and touch screen devices for internet, and likely get robbed. Then the MTA ill get a foot up the a$s because of this.

As for Sprint, i hope they do. That way, Boost & Virgin Users can use phone serves.

Same for those of Verizon, Metro PC, Tracfone Family, etc. But thats unknown yet!

Dunno where you been but I pretty much see a phone or a laptop out with every other person on the subway already. If the MTA hasn't got the foot up their asses by now for electronics theft they won't start after this.

Can't keep the dumbasses from getting hurt ABOVE ground using mobile devices. Imagine what will happen if wireless becomes seamless in the subway! Can't people take a break from these things. How have we made it as a society before cell phones? It never ends...........

That almost happened to me once. I got very little sleep the night before, and when the train opened the doors, I started walking towards the gap between the cars (instead of the doors). Luckily, I realized what I was doing before I got to the platform edge. It wasn't as close a call as that, but it was still too close for me. :eek:

Nobody's making people bring their laptops and stuff on the subway. They do so at their own risk.

Now how did she get thru the springs that are there between cars?

The springs wont stop you since they will move. Pantograph gates work better for this.

I think the woman was on the platform, not walking between the cars. The springs/pantograph gates wouldn't help at all if that was the case.

Archived