Questions about BM3

sheepshead

Hello everyone,

I'm new to NYC and NYC Transit, so I was hoping that some of the transit workers or riders who use BM3 could share some knowledge about this route. I just got a place in Sheepshead Bay and will be working in Lower Manhattan. I'm trying to decide whether to get to work by subway or bus. BM3 is really convinient for me (stop is literally outside my apt. building on Emmons), but here are my concerns:

1) How reliable is the service on BM3 generally? Schedule says its about 1 hour ride from Emmons Ave/Shore Blvd to State St/Battery Pl. Is that reasonable? What has been your experience? I realize buses can sometimes get stuck in traffic, but what would you say is the ball-park average travel time on weekdays?

2) How crowded does the bus usually get? I plan on taking the BM3 at 6:30AM (arriving downtown Manhattan at 7:28AM). Since the next bus only leaves at 7AM and arrives downtown at 8:12, its not an option for me since I'd be late for work. Is it ever the case that bus could be so full that I won't be able to get on? I ask this because I actually won't be getting on at beginning of the route at Emmons/Shore Blvd, but a little further down at Emmons/Knapp St.

I would like to find out all of this info by myself, but I haven't even moved into my apartment yet. I'd love to hear any input from people who are more familiar with this route, so I at least know what to expect.

Thank you!

Well I use the BM3 usually on Saturdays, but sometimes during the week as well. The Downtown Loop bus which I would imagine you'll be taking gets decent usage. The traffic lights in Brooklyn can be a PITA especially along Ocean and by Cortelyou Rd and such. They aren't sinked properly and can slow down the commute quite a bit. On Saturdays I find the BM3s to run not so great of late. They come way too late, so late that sometimes I question if they're coming or not. With that said, I would still go with the BM3 over schlepping on the local bus to the subway. You have a one seat ride and the comfort over the subway. During the week though, they're pretty prompt and they do get good usage. I usually use the Midtown Super Express BM3s but the Downtown Loop BM3s run pretty frequent and are decently used too.

As for traffic in Manhattan if you're not doing the Loop or don't have to do it, I would recommend getting off by the first stop which seems like you'll be doing that anyway because the traffic by Trinity can be a mess with all of the express buses and construction and such. In sum, yeah an hour should be about right in case there is traffic, etc.

And just so you know, the fare is $5.50 on the BM3, rather than $2.25 for the local bus + subway commute. Transfers between the bus and subway are free with a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard (you probably already know this, but I'm just throwing it out there in case you're new to NYC or something)

If you're taking the BM3 daily, I'd recommend the weekly Express Bus Plus MetroCard for $50. It's valid on all express buses (any route with an "X", "BM", "QM", or "BxM" in front of it) as well as the subway and local bus. At $50 per week, you're already ahead compared to paying for each individual ride, so any additional express bus (or even local bus/subway) rides you take in addition to your regular commute are essentially free.

As far as whether it's worth the extra fare, you have to decide that for yourself. As VG8 said, you have the advantage of a guaranteed seat (there should be plenty because it's still near the beginning of the route) and you can doze off because you don't have to make a transfer during the trip (actually, it's two transfers because you have to transfer to the (R) at DeKalb Avenue to reach Lower Manhattan, or the (2)(3)(4)(5) at Atlantic Avenue if those are more convenient to your job)

The disadvantage of course, is the extra fare and the fact that the BM3 runs infrequently (like you said, you only have one bus that can get you to work on time). As VG8 said, don't sit throuugh the whole loop if you don't have to. If your job is by State Street/Water Street, I'd recommend getting off at Battery Place/West Street (I think all rush hour buses serve that stop. I think it's only the off-peak buses that go directly onto Trinity Place, based on riding the express routes out in SI)

And also throwing it out there, but a monthly pass for the subway/local bus (not valid on the express bus) is $104, so you break even after 50 rides. A weekly pass is $29 (you break even after 14 rides).

Welcome to the boards Sheepshead. Hey i used to live right near Sheepshead Bay growing up as a kid. I now live upstate in Dutchess County so i have last rode the BM3 maybe at least 2 years ago.

Replies in blue. Keep in mind the BM3 (like the Spring Creek depot and all Brooklyn-Manhattan "express buses" do not run on Sundays and major holidays.) Schedule is link below.

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bm003cur.pdf

Hello everyone,

I'm new to NYC and NYC Transit, so I was hoping that some of the transit workers or riders who use BM3 could share some knowledge about this route. I just got a place in Sheepshead Bay and will be working in Lower Manhattan. I'm trying to decide whether to get to work by subway or bus. BM3 is really convinient for me (stop is literally outside my apt. building on Emmons), but here are my concerns:

1) How reliable is the service on BM3 generally? Schedule says its about 1 hour ride from Emmons Ave/Shore Blvd to State St/Battery Pl. Is that reasonable? What has been your experience? I realize buses can sometimes get stuck in traffic, but what would you say is the ball-park average travel time on weekdays?

To answer your question, the bus is at the mercy of traffic along the Gownaus/BQE(Interstate 278)and the Battery Tunnel. On Saturdays and late weekday evenings yes, it is usually about 50-60 minutes between Emmons and Lower Manhattan. During Rush Hours it's best to add about 10-20 minutes extra time to the trip. On a rare bad day, i.e severe accident in the tunnel or the highway, just to travel from Lower Manhattan-Emmons can be 90 minutes-2 hours so keep that in mind.

2) How crowded does the bus usually get? I plan on taking the BM3 at 6:30AM (arriving downtown Manhattan at 7:28AM). Since the next bus only leaves at 7AM and arrives downtown at 8:12, its not an option for me since I'd be late for work. Is it ever the case that bus could be so full that I won't be able to get on? I ask this because I actually won't be getting on at beginning of the route at Emmons/Shore Blvd, but a little further down at Emmons/Knapp St.

From the couple of times i taken it in AM Manhattan bound most recent in 2005-'06 (Pre (MTA) takeover) when i was still living in Brooklyn it had usually 30-40 passengers at height of rush hours. More recently riding the the BM3 on Saturdays it was usually at most 10-15 people on it.

I would like to find out all of this info by myself, but I haven't even moved into my apartment yet. I'd love to hear any input from people who are more familiar with this route, so I at least know what to expect.

Thank you!

Remember the BM3 can be a great alternative to the nearby (Q) and (B) remember the (B) runs only Mondays-Fridays. The (Q) and (B) though not as crush loaded crowded like the Lex Ave (4)(5)(6) and Queens (E)(F) lines can be very busy during the rush hours as well.

Hope it answers your questions Sheepshead and welcome aboard here.:o

Thank you all so much for such prompt responses. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I wasn't even thinking about fares and comparing them to other transit options - so I really appreciate that additional info as well. Based on your answers I confirmed my decision to choose BM3 for my daily commute.

Thank you all so much for such prompt responses. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I wasn't even thinking about fares and comparing them to other transit options - so I really appreciate that additional info as well. Based on your answers I confirmed my decision to choose BM3 for my daily commute.

What about Sundays/major holidays when the BM3 is not running? I assume you have a car to use when not going to work in manhattan. PS Where you relocated from to move to the NYC area?

From the couple of times i taken it in AM Manhattan bound most recent in 2005-'06 (Pre takeover) when i was still living in Brooklyn it had usually 30-40 passengers at height of rush hours. More recently riding the the BM3 on Saturdays it was usually at most 10-15 people on it.

And just to clarify, the buses seat 57 people, and 30-40 people refers to the bus at the most crowded point, which is after it leaves the last stop in Brooklyn (which is up around Kensington) so yeah, there's pretty much no chance of you having to pass up the bus because you couldn't fit on.

What about Sundays/major holidays when the BM3 is not running? I assume you have a car to use when not going to work in manhattan. PS Where you relocated from to move to the NYC area?

Based on his original post, I assume he just works weekdays. I think he knows how to read a schedule. :o

In any case, since the B4 doesn't serve the area outside of rush hour, he'd have to take the B44 bus up to Flatbush Avenue/Brooklyn College and then take the (2) train from there.

Sheepshead, as far as having a car goes, it's definitely helpful in that area, but it isn't 100% necessary (this is just throwing it out there in case you're on the fence about whether or not to buy a car).

You have the B44 running 24/7, the B4 during rush hours, and the BM3 on weekdays and Saturdays (though Saturday service might not last too long, as they've been cutting it back).

But out of the 3, the B44 is the only one that runs frequently, and if you're traveling outside of the Nostrand Avenue corridor, the trip is always going to be more convenient by car. Whether the convenience is worth the cost of the car is up to you.

Is it ever the case that bus could be so full that I won't be able to get on? I ask this because I actually won't be getting on at beginning of the route at Emmons/Shore Blvd, but a little further down at Emmons/Knapp St

Welcome aboard, soon to be fellow BM rider (I take the BM1 or the BM2)

As for your question, No way....

Around the time you'll be takin the bus, it'll usually get half full around Av U/Kings Hwy (especially if you're taking the downtown loop, which tends to get more pax than the midtown BM's).... The last thing you'll have to worry about is gettin a seat in the morning.... of course you'll have to get used to traffic on the gowanus, but expect about an hour commute each way...

If there's little-to-no traffic, you can get there in about 40 mins.....

(which is better than you makin your way to taking the Q, then to the R)

Sheepshead, as far as having a car goes, it's definitely helpful in that area, but it isn't 100% necessary (this is just throwing it out there in case you're on the fence about whether or not to buy a car).

You guys actually touched on something that I'm really debating at the moment. I do have a car, but I'm really not sure if I should bring it down with me to Brooklyn or leave it upstate.

I'll be living in multi-story apartment building right on Emmons Ave which doesn't have its own parking (close to intersection of Emmons and Nostrand), so I'm assuming that street parking will be very hard to find and a constant headache.

On the other hand, as Checkmatechamp13 mentioned, my travel options, especially on weekends, will be somewhat limited outside of the Nostrand corridor, so having a car would make my life a lot easier.

It's a definitely a dilemma that I need to think through. :P

PS. I'm moving down from Schenectady area.

You guys actually touched on something that I'm really debating at the moment. I do have a car, but I'm really not sure if I should bring it down with me to Brooklyn or leave it upstate.

I'll be living in multi-story apartment building right on Emmons Ave which doesn't have its own parking (close to intersection of Emmons and Nostrand), so I'm assuming that street parking will be very hard to find and a constant headache.

On the other hand, as Checkmatechamp13 mentioned, my travel options, especially on weekends, will be somewhat limited outside of the Nostrand corridor, so having a car would make my life a lot easier.

It's a definitely a dilemma that I need to think through. ;)

PS. I'm moving down from Schenectady area.

If it were me, I would consider bringing it. The BM3 service on Saturdays has been severely cut (it used to run to the city until 22:00 and now the last bus is 15:00) and getting to the subway can be a real PITA from Emmons Avenue now with there being such limited B4 service to Sheepshead Bay (only rush hours during the week). :P

The one thing I would say is if you do bring it be sure to get the bells and whistles on it in terms of security. I lived near Sheepshead Bay Rd for years and while the area is pretty safe, it is has had issues with high rates of car theft. I'm not sure if that's still true, but it was certainly a problem back in the day. I guess it's understandable considering how many luxury cars you see out and about in the area.

I still remember going for a walk down Sheepshead Bay Rd one night near the Sheepshead Bay train station and seeing this guy run out of the store after his car. Someone had stolen it and was driving off and apparently his little baby was in the car. At some point the car stopped after the person realized that the baby was in the car and I can't recall if he put the baby out or not, but the guy never caught up with the car in any event.

I know a lot of folks used to use a parking garage to avoid having their car being vandalized, so you may want to consider that. If you feel comfortable parking it though, you may want to consider looking on Shore Pkwy which is just a block away from Emmons. You may be able to find a spot here or there.

The one thing I would say is if you do bring it be sure to get the bells and whistles on it in terms of security. I lived near Sheepshead Bay Rd for years and while the area is pretty safe, it is has had issues with high rates of car theft. I'm not sure if that's still true, but it was certainly a problem back in the day. I guess it's understandable considering how many luxury cars you see out and about in the area.

I know a lot of folks used to use a parking garage to avoid having their car being vandalized, so you may want to consider that. If you feel comfortable parking it though, you may want to consider looking on Shore Pkwy which is just a block away from Emmons. You may be able to find a spot here or there.

That's one of the things I remember when I lived in Brighton Beach: Every night I'd keep on hearing car alarms. Some of them were probably just people making mistakes opening up their cars, but I'm sure there were people trying to break into them.

The building I lived in had parking, but we couldn't get a permit, so my dad had to park in a garage in Sheepshead Bay. I'm not sure where it was, though. I know it was north of the Belt Parkway (which doesn't tell you much because most of Sheepshead Bay is north of it) and a few blocks east of Sheepshead Bay Road. It was a long walk, but I don't think there were any garages that were closer. I'm not sure what the closest garage to you would be.

As far as whether to keep the car or not, I guess it depends on your particular situation. Personally, I think my family could've done without one because most of our local errands were done on foot or by public transportation (the car was mostly used for work). But then again, I lived closer to the subway and had more bus options as well.

I guess you could always bring it here for a few months to test out whether you can do without it. If most of your trips can be made reasonably on foot or by public transportation, then you always have car service for the occasional trip that's particularly cumbersome.

Archived