Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RTS CNG Command

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

In the fall of 2010, The Hub replaced Discovery Kids, and it debuted the latest inclusion of the My Little Pony series: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic. The show's in its second season, and new episodes air every Saturday morning, with the sixteenth from Season 2 airing yesterday.

Currently, the structure for each season has a two-part prologue dealing with six ponies utilizing magical artifacts called the Elements of Harmony to conquer evil. The next episodes are slice-of-lives, with the characters learning lessons about friendship.

The main six (or Mane Six by the fanbase) are these:

my_little_pony_friendship_is_magic_group_shot.jpg

From left to right:

1. Pinkie Pie. This pony is lighthearted, random, and joyous. She's a party-goer and practical joker who acts a lot on impulse, but is one who's loyal and expects her friends to keep what she calls the "Pinkie Promise."

2. Rarity. She's a very sassy unicorn and expects the best out of her talent, which is sewing. She has that upper-class drawl that can make her appear stereotypical and dramatic, but she means well and is very loyal.

3. Rainbow Dash (the blue pony). The "tomboy" in the group. A very fast Pegasus with a proud ego. She's daring and upfront, which can lead to trouble.

4. Twilight Sparkle. She's the leading character of the group. Initially disconcerting about friendship, she has a close bond with the main cast along with a young dragon named Spike (not pictured). Her special ability is to use magic through her horn on her forehead, and she is a huge organizer.

5. Applejack: An Earth pony from the Sweet Apple Acres, an orchard near Ponyville, the main setting for almost all of the episodes. Honest to the core, she isn't very good at lying. With a fear of failure, Applejack always wants to make her friends, family, and town proud.

6. Fluttershy: A Pegasus with a love for wildlife. As her name suggests, she's the shiest character in the group, and has a huge attachment to the wildlife. She'll do whatever it takes to care for the animals, such as taking care of a sick phoenix late in Season 1.

Despite being very "girly" in atmosphere, the show has immense popularity amongst the teenager and adult audience, particularly among males. Create by Lauren Faust, who helped lend a hand in The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, two cartoons with huge adult audiences. The show is widely liked for the following.

1. The characters have been continually developed since the first episode, and the characters are full-fledged rather than one-dimensional stereotypes. Rather than conforming to girly stereotypes than can be seen in toy lines like Barbie, the characterization is three-dimensional, making them likable, even the antagonists.

2. The worldbuilding is highly organized, yet simple and easy to understand.

3. Excellent storytelling, from lighthearted to warming. There's great comedy without singling out audiences, and the pop culture references are cleverly hidden, from Dr. Who to Star Wars: Episode IV to The Big Lebowski.

4. The lessons of friendship aren't crammed, allowing the storytelling and characterization to take over, and allowing both adults and children to understand.

5. Excellent animation. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic uses Flash animation, which is used typically to produce cheap cartoons and to save production. MLP:FIM is hugely perfectionistic in its animation and for pushing the product's boundaries even more. It shows very well.

6. A lack of cynicism. It's a good-natured show that isn't seen often enough these days, and it's a great-quality production cartoonas a result.

As some of you might've expected, yes, I AM a fan of the show, and I've closely followed the series for the past several months now. My favorite characters throughout the series are Fluttershy, Rarity, Luna, and Discord. And like I mentioned before, there's a huge adult audience, too. The passionate adult crowd fanbase is collectively called "bronies," a portmanteau for "bro" and "pony" that's since referenced both genders.

Here is the two-part prologue that starts it all:

My Little Pony FiM Season 1- Episode 1 - YouTube

My Little Pony FiM Season 1- Episode 2 - YouTube

So…discuss ponies! :o

I once saw a video or a report about people who like stuff like Carebears and Cabbage Kids, the same way we like trains. And believe it or not, men made up a huge portion of that fanbase.

I watched four minutes of the second episode, just to see what it was like. Somehow it's not complete and utter shit like every other cartoon made after the Spongebob Movie but why on God's green ****ing Earth are grown men going rabid over this?

why on God's green ****ing Earth are grown men going rabid over this?

how's the excuse go....

"they wanna get in touch with their feminine side"

I once saw a video or a report about people who like stuff like Carebears and Cabbage Kids, the same way we like trains. And believe it or not, men made up a huge portion of that fanbase.

...which offers an explanation as to why there's as many effeminate males out here.

care bears, cabbage patch kids, my little pony, teddy ruxpin, rainbow brite....

gouge my eyes out why don't you.....

I was too busy watchin he man, transformers, G.I. joe, TMNT, looney tunes, etc....

Okay, I've seen the first season to the show and did some research on it a couple of months ago after deciding to sit down and check it out one day.

As someone who takes a great interest in (traditional) animation the show is actually pretty well done and intends well. Most of you probably don't know this but the wife of Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust (animator behind The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, also worked on several other shows like Dexter's Laboratory) is actually responsible for the show's reboot. She was pretty much given total control of production by Hasbro given her reputation in the industry as an animator in the past working alongside her husband. Hasbro also wanted the show to appeal to a larger audience just as how the Transformers movies had brought increased attention to the toy line. The reasoning for this is that shows normally aimed at young girls don't do too well.

You can see several of her sketches and concept art on her DeviantArt page, which she updates every so often. As far as production went a lot of veteran writers and animators were brought in which explains the show's brilliant writing and clever plot lines. The animation, although done in Adobe Flash was done with great care as to make it look as if it were traditionally animated which they somewhat achieve but it's still noticeable for the most part.

I've no problems with it, but as someone who hopes to enter the industry I'd like to steer away from Flash and use programs like Toon Boom where I can just scan in my drawings frame by frame and retain the life-like organic movements that only a traditional artist can bring to the table.

So apparently Hasbro had a hit with the show, and the biggest shock came in the form of males 14-35 actually tuning in, memes being started on sites like 4chan, an essay discussing the show's success and the charms that make it such a hit (which I've read and absolutely agree with). A lot of the success does come from the creative freedoms given to Ms. Faust by Hasbro which is a rarity in the animation world... Hell, basically everywhere that involves a studio and a media conglomerate.

There's your answer pretty much.

Edited by SoSpectacular

I tried to watch one episode, but it was so goddamn AWFUL that I only got five minutes in without shutting off the TV. I'm amazed that such drivel even worse than Family Guy and South Park could be so popular. The animation is VERY LOW quality, the writing is cheesy AND they steal jokes from none other than the great Chuck Jones. The only bright side is the voice casting, which has a couple of good voice actors in it. As for all of those who love this show, have it your way. But in my opinion, THIS SHOW DESERVES TO BE WORSE THAN WORLD WAR III.

Here is proof that they stole jokes from Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies. Try to tell me ONE main joke in this short that DOES NOT APPEAR IN THAT LOAD OF DRIVEL.

I watched four minutes of the second episode, just to see what it was like. Somehow it's not complete and utter shit like every other cartoon made after the Spongebob Movie but why on God's green ****ing Earth are grown men going rabid over this?
The second episode is part of a prologue. It doesn't quite represent the series. I recommend starting with a genuinely popular slice-of-life episode, like this one.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - Season 2 - Episode 3 Lesson Zero 1080p HD - YouTube

And the fans LOVE the show because it's, well…genuinely GOOD. It's a great quality show that's accessible for both kids and adults. Kids can laugh from the jokes and personality, while adults can dissect the characters' personalities and laugh from all the references in the show. The fanbase has a PASSION for the show, and they'll devoid quite a bit of time into it.

Edited by RTS CNG Command

THE SHOW IS PURE DRIVEL, as I can attest to. And the whole "fun for the whole family" cartoon you claim this is is a lie. Cartoons that are fun for the whole family contain good writing, animation and jokes. MLP:FIM HAS NONE OF THAT. Some examples of cartoons THAT ARE fun for the whole family are Looney Tunes, Ducktales, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers.

I tried to watch one episode, but it was so goddamn AWFUL that I only got five minutes in without shutting off the TV. I'm amazed that such drivel even worse than Family Guy and South Park could be so popular. The animation is VERY LOW quality, the writing is cheesy AND they steal jokes from none other than the great Chuck Jones. The only bright side is the voice casting, which has a couple of good voice actors in it. As for all of those who love this show, have it your way. But in my opinion, THIS SHOW DESERVES TO BE WORSE THAN WORLD WAR III.

Whoa buddy Chuck Jones is long gone, a lot of the old cartoons borrowed from him, this isn't the only show you know!

Lol maybe if more animators were allowed creative freedom (and actually took some risks) we'd have a lot more better stuff on TV.

The only thing Hasbro wanted was that the backgrounds be designed in such a way so that the playsets would be feasible when contsructed.

This show...I don't even...

I really don't see what everyone like about this. Don't get me wrong, I'm a kid at heart and I still watch some cartoons (I love Phineas & Ferb and Adventure Time) but that its just one show I can't get into...at all

THE SHOW IS PURE DRIVEL, as I can attest to. And the whole "fun for the whole family" cartoon you claim this is is a lie. Cartoons that are fun for the whole family contain good writing, animation and jokes. MLP:FIM HAS NONE OF THAT. Some examples of cartoons THAT ARE fun for the whole family are Looney Tunes, Ducktales, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers.
90s had some real good stuff. Disney afternoon was awesome and of course the DC and marvel* superhero shows.

*thank god Avengers is on (well not now till the movie is on the big screen). I'm still pissed CN pulled the plug on JLU some years back- so much they could've done with season 5 and they rushed it with the finale.

I don't get why people are judging. MLP, I admit is not my cup of tea, but calling people who watch it feminine and asserting your manliness cause you watch violent programming, does not make you the bigger person.

I don't get why people are judging. MLP, I admit is not my cup of tea, but calling people who watch it feminine and asserting your manliness cause you watch violent programming, does not make you the bigger person.

There are wayyy better movies and shows out there involving cartoon animals, they may not be hip and now anymore but they're classics with their own sets of fans. Secret of NIMH, Balto, The Lion King, even the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon with Sally Acorn, not sonic X or the really goofy one.

It's the opposite with people like RTS CNG...

Me: "You know, MLP isn't that great of a show..."

Average MLP Watcher: "LOL Y U MAD PONEEZ R TEH GRAETST TING EVAR RAAGH JKLSFJKSLKSKLFLK"

Me: "You know, MLP isn't that great of a show..."

Average MLP Watcher: "LOL Y U MAD PONEEZ R TEH GRAETST TING EVAR RAAGH JKLSFJKSLKSKLFLK"

I got into an arguement with one of them `bronies` at an anime convention last year lol

It's not my cup of tea, but I'm not gonna disparage those who are into it (admittedly, some of them are more territorial than class 5 vegans). The only thing I watch regularly on The Hub is Dan Vs.

As far as the 90s, I don't think we'll ever get back to that level, but there's some effort to put quality back into animation again. Adventure Time, Regular Show, Archer, Bob's Burgers, even the Ben 10 franchise are some examples.

Honestly, anything is better than that flash drivel from Canada. Ugh.

THE SHOW IS PURE DRIVEL, as I can attest to.
And why? You said the animation is of "very low quality," but it's obviously not the case. Not in just the vector graphics, but the atmosphere and movement. The way the characters move are smooth and plausible, and the brightly colored graphics capture the zany environment of the show. It's very similar to that of many of the 1990s Cartoon Network originals, such as Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, and The Powerpuff Girls.

And the whole "fun for the whole family" cartoon you claim this is is a lie.
You got PROOF of that? Actual evidence of this?

Cartoons that are fun for the whole family contain good writing, animation and jokes. MLP:FIM HAS NONE OF THAT.
And this show DOES have that. Excuse the cheery vector graphics. This show has the Powerpuff Girls-esque qualities in them, over-the-top violence not included. The characters continuously develop and become even more fleshed out, and there are some great examples that I can even demonstrate.

1. Season 2, Episode 2. Twilight Sparkle tried to return her friends to normal after succumbing to a spell that reversed her friends' personalities. But the characters made her work so difficult with their OOC traits and actions that Twilight Sparkle decided to quit. But then, every letter that she wrote to Princess Celestia swarmed in, and she read them all front and back. Right there, she regained her confidence and helped save the day later on.

2. Season 1, Episode 9. The Mane Six grew very fearful of a mysterious creature named Zecora that would enter Ponyville every now and then, but live in the Everfree Forest. When they went into the Everfree Forest to rescue a little filly named Apple Bloom, parts of themselves changed physically like Fluttershy talking like a man or Twilight's horn flopping. When they confronted Zecora again and accused him of cursing the gang, the zebra told them that the "hexes" were caused when they walked into blue flowers called "Poison Jokes" (a reference to poison ivy) that were curable by herbal baths. Since then, the Mane Six trusted Zecora, and the zebra has since become an integral part of some episodes.

3. Season 2, Episode 13. Pinkie Pie agreed to babysit two infant pony twins. As a partygoer, she'd though babysitting would be a piece of cake. Just feed them, take care of them, and be as zany as possible. But she later found out that the babies were picky and had needs to take care of. When they caused chaos in the household, Pinkie Pie had a BREAKDOWN, and the babies cheered her up. Soon after, Pinkie Pie realized responsibilities were important in babysitting babies, and she was able to make them happy while being disciplined and mindful of their needs.

And there are plenty of great jokes. You just have to look for them. (I won't tell you where this time; you'll have to find 'em.)

Some examples of cartoons THAT ARE fun for the whole family are Looney Tunes, Ducktales, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers.
I'm not crazy about Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures, and I actually can't quite call most of the older Looney Toons cartoons "family-friendly" at all. But they're really good quality animation shows. My Little Pony fits in this category with Chip 'n Dale, Ducktales, and Darkwing Duck, too. While My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic may not be traditional sketch animation, it's STILL animation nonetheless, and it's damn good family-friendly animation.

-

*laugh* I may be retorting back, but I'm definitely not afraid to reply back as to why the show IS good through research. I've said this many times in the Sonic Stadium Message Board, and I'll say it here—I DON'T respect opinions, I respect arguments.

Now, granted, there are definitely some bad apples in the brony fanbase, and I've seen that. But they're a more vocal minority. The large majority are intelligent, well-meaning, and are very dedicated.

Edited by RTS CNG Command
Added an extra reply.

There are wayyy better movies and shows out there involving cartoon animals, they may not be hip and now anymore but they're classics with their own sets of fans. Secret of NIMH, Balto, The Lion King, even the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon with Sally Acorn, not sonic X or the really goofy one.

Jon, those classics all came out during the "Golden Era" of animation, of course they were good!

I've been skeptical on the second season of MLP, since Lauren Faust stepped down as executive producer after the first season, although she's still involved in production