The Future of the current 50 R42's

R32 3838

Im just gonna ask, does anyone know what are they going to do with these cars, We all Know the R32's are getting SMS'ed thats in another thread but I'm still puzzled about the 50 plus 12 R42's(the 14 retired ones - a pair was stripped for parts) and what they are going to do with them, so if anyone has any news regarding the R42's just comment, I'm not a big fan of them but hey i just wanna know what they are going to do with them

Im just gonna ask, does anyone know what are they going to do with these cars, We all Know the R32's are getting SMS'ed thats in another thread but I'm still puzzled about the 50 plus 12 R42's(the 14 retired ones - a pair was stripped for parts) and what they are going to do with them, so if anyone has any news regarding the R42's just comment, I'm not a big fan of them but hey i just wanna know what they are going to do with them

I hope they stay till the R179's retire them.

I too am not a big fan of the R42's, but after months of riding the R160's and riding an R42 again, it brings back a lot of memories, I will miss the R42's when they are completely retired. :o

Also what does SMS mean?

scrap them, scrap them all along with them R32s...get them all out of hee so everyone can move on already

*sits patiently and waits for angry responses*

I too am not a big fan of the R42's, but after months of riding the R160's and riding an R42 again, it brings back a lot of memories, I will miss the R42's when they are completely retired. :o

Also what does SMS mean?

scheduled maintenance service

Not sure if this is true or not, but I did hear the (MTA) terminated the reef program. Which means it's probably back to Naporano once again.

img_7964.jpg

As for the R32s and R42s still being here well it was all a matter of fate and circumstances. Nobody had any idea the R44s were going to retire early. And it's not the first time subway car retirements have been delayed either. Look at the picture above. Many of those cars no one thought would of stayed in revenue service all the way into the late 1980s and into the early 1990s looking at the condition many of them were in. It just happened.

Like the picture above :P:tup: ^ ^ ^

As a conductor, I can see why you want that to happen! :)

Correct, Thats from my angle, Maybe the T/O loves em, but for a C/R there is no seating and just 1 window in that coffin. I can't see how these guys did it from Far Rock to 207 @ 1am making every stop.

Personally the Redbirds, Phase ll R32s, R32GEs, Some Phase I R32s, R38s, R40S, R40Ms, and most of the R42 fleet should of ended up at Naporano instead of the Atlantic ocean along with the some of the school cars that were reefed. Should of gone in died where their other brothers and sisters died years ago. At least the remaining R32s and R42s along with all the R44s will surely get that honorable privilege. :)

I still wish someone would buy the 32's to use as boxcars or something. They could probably last forever like that.

There is no longer a REEF program and cars that will be scrapped (like the R44s) will be cut up. Supposedly, the TA wants to get rid of the R42s, but there is nothing definite yet.

I heard about the R42's and how the TA wants them out (only a rumor right now) but I think they are gonna go though, but hey at least they will be cut up

Guest lance25

I presume they're waiting until a significant portion of the R32s are fixed up so they'll have more spares to toss around if need be. At least, that's why I'd do if I were in any position of power there.

I presume they're waiting until a significant portion of the R32s are fixed up so they'll have more spares to toss around if need be. At least, that's why I'd do if I were in any position of power there.

the TA has about 240+ cars on property, 222 of them are in revenue service, 144 out of 222 are used for the (C), 10 cars are in work service as work motors for the refuse train, while 8 are stored in Fresh Pond yard, about 4-6 cars are stored at 207th st but stripped for parts, so thats about 246 Phase I's in total all together so theres is more than enough to bump off those 48 R42's at ENY, its just 207th will loose 50 cars

the TA has about 240+ cars on property, 222 of them are in revenue service, 144 out of 222 are used for the (C), 10 cars are in work service as work motors for the refuse train, while 8 are stored in Fresh Pond yard, about 4-6 cars are stored at 207th st but stripped for parts, so thats about 246 Phase I's in total all together so theres is more than enough to bump off those 48 R42's at ENY, its just 207th will loose 50 cars

Look at the numbers,207th St loses 50 R32 cars then they'll need to be replaced.but there's nothing to replace those 50 R32 cars if this were to happen.10 cars are used for work service,8 cars dead in the east(if they are still there) and 4-6 cars at 207th St for parts.the (C) is gonna have to stay with it's R32 cars.

Look at the numbers,207th St loses 50 R32 cars then they'll need to be replaced.but there's nothing to replace those 50 R32 cars if this were to happen.10 cars are used for work service,8 cars dead in the east(if they are still there) and 4-6 cars at 207th St for parts.the (C) is gonna have to stay with it's R32 cars.

207th has plenty of R32's, thats the whole point, if they made the (C) 10 cars or extended the (C) then yeah they will need all of their R32's, but the (C) uses 144 cars out of 222, that leaves a lot of R32's for spares, if the R42's get SMS that would be smart but we will have to wait and see

Archived