Cortlandt St station

B41

The tunnel that carries the (1) through the WTC site is supported by temporary structures. There is no platform as it was destroyed, it's just a simple stripped out tunnel through where the station used to be. There will be no station till the area is ready for grade level construction including parking garages and the like. I'd estimate 3-4 years.

- Andy

Which is why i said 3-4 years. :cool:

After years of waiting the WTC site is finally out of old wtc removal mode and into new wtc construction mode. As a regular user of the path station there, i really hope they re-open the connection to the (E) soon, as it is 10,000,000x easier for people to transfer, especially those unfamiliar to the area.

Also, after seeing what's left of the (1) tunnel, and the surrounding area, it looks like cortlandt street station will be even more connected (even if it is by walking 3 blocks underground) than times square, and has the opportunity to be a really amazing testament to subway station design.

- Andy

Which is why i said 3-4 years. :cool:

After years of waiting the WTC site is finally out of old wtc removal mode and into new wtc construction mode. As a regular user of the path station there, i really hope they re-open the connection to the (E) soon, as it is 10,000,000x easier for people to transfer, especially those unfamiliar to the area.

Also, after seeing what's left of the (1) tunnel, and the surrounding area, it looks like cortlandt street station will be even more connected (even if it is by walking 3 blocks underground) than times square, and has the opportunity to be a really amazing testament to subway station design.

- Andy

Yeah, that change was like, ugh, I have to go upstairs then back downstairs for the (E). Its been ridiculous but I'm use to it now. I don't regularly use the (E) anyway. Whenever I take PATH to WTC, I'm usually looking for the Lexington Avenue line service, or just the (A).

Yeah, that change was like, ugh, I have to go upstairs then back downstairs for the (E). Its been ridiculous but I'm use to it now. I don't regularly use the (E) anyway. Whenever I take PATH to WTC, I'm usually looking for the Lexington Avenue line service, or just the (A).

Not only walk ALL THE WAY UP those stairs, but walk about a block and then have to walk all the way up underground and around the fence to where the turnstiles are. Too many steps and non working escalators for my taste. I've been meeting my girlfriend at exchange place more often since they closed off the direct access, because otherwise i'd meet her at penn station by the subway (food not transit) near the (A)(C)(E) station, which isn't cool because subway = no cell service, at least if i'm at exchange place i can get her on the phone when shes on the light rail. Funny, a few weeks ago she just happened by chance to get on the path train at exchange place that i got on at newark, it was probably the most efficient rendezvous since we started dating hahah. As far as the PATH/subway iner-connectedness... i just want them to be done all ready, it's been so many years. Time to heal & move forward.

- Andy

Not only walk ALL THE WAY UP those stairs, but walk about a block and then have to walk all the way up underground and around the fence to where the turnstiles are. Too many steps and non working escalators for my taste. I've been meeting my girlfriend at exchange place more often since they closed off the direct access, because otherwise i'd meet her at penn station by the subway (food not transit) near the (A)(C)(E) station, which isn't cool because subway = no cell service, at least if i'm at exchange place i can get her on the phone when shes on the light rail. Funny, a few weeks ago she just happened by chance to get on the path train at exchange place that i got on at newark, it was probably the most efficient rendezvous since we started dating hahah. As far as the PATH/subway iner-connectedness... i just want them to be done all ready, it's been so many years. Time to heal & move forward.

- Andy

Exactly. Problem is, those guys dunno what they're gonna fill that hole up with and what the WTC is going to look like so the PATH is still gonna have that temporary station for quite a while. The direct connection to the subway is much needed again.

When might the cortlandt st station for the (1) line ever be completed?

To fill your curiosity as to why it's closed & will remain closed for several years till WTC reconstruction progresses enough i will supply you with this link of disturbing photos. Viewer discretion is advised.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:1058

- Andy

Those aren't disturbing to me. They're just heartbreaking.

Well yes, but after losing friends that day & watching the movie "cloverfield" photos like that are creepy & disrupt my mental harmony. I am sure i'm not the only one who feels that way.

That aside, did you notice how damaged the whole station was? Not just roof cave in stuff, but the whole support structure was left in a crumbling pile waiting to fall down. If you ride the (1) between rector street and wall street you should see the batting, and wooden beams and other temporary walls n stuff holding it up. According to my friend who went down there after the tunnel was cleared & right before it re-opened with the mayor's office people, there was still remnants of dust & debris from the towers here & there.

- Andy

That aside, did you notice how damaged the whole station was? Not just roof cave in stuff, but the whole support structure was left in a crumbling pile waiting to fall down. If you ride the (1) between rector street and wall street you should see the batting, and wooden beams and other temporary walls n stuff holding it up. According to my friend who went down there after the tunnel was cleared & right before it re-opened with the mayor's office people, there was still remnants of dust & debris from the towers here & there.

- Andy

Yeah. Most of the support columns still standing were bent and structurally unsound.

Yeah. Most of the support columns still standing were bent and structurally unsound.

But I think that is a testament to how well the station was built. The majority of the columns were still standing. Let's hear it for early 20th century over engineering!!

Paul (:(

But I think that is a testament to how well the station was built. The majority of the columns were still standing. Let's hear it for early 20th century over engineering!!

Paul (:(

Totally agree. They are stronger than they need to be, and several of the underground stations are deep & built strong enough to withstand a nuclear attack, not that anyone in 1904 was taking that into account though!:cool:

- Andy

Archived