NY Times editorial disapproves proposed GOP-led transit bill that would cut bus/train funding

Shortline Bus

From NY Times Editorial Feb. 9, 2012

"The list of outrages coming out of the House is long, but the way the Republicans are trying to hijack the $260 billion transportation bill defies belief. This bill is so uniquely terrible that it might not command a majority when it comes to a floor vote, possibly next week, despite Speaker John Boehner’s imprimatur. But betting on rationality with this crew is always a long shot.

Here is a brief and by no means exhaustive list of the bill’s many defects:

¶It would make financing for mass transit much less certain, and more vulnerable, by ending a 30-year agreement that guaranteed mass transit a one-fifth share of the fuel taxes and other user fees in the highway trust fund. Instead it would compete annually with other programs.

¶It would open nearly all of America’s coastal waters to oil and gas drilling, including environmentally fragile areas that have long been off limits. The ostensible purpose is to raise revenue to help make up what has become an annual shortfall for transportation financing. But it is really just one more attempt to promote the Republicans’ drill-now-drill-everywhere agenda and the interests of their industry patrons.

¶It would demolish significant environmental protections by imposing arbitrary deadlines on legally mandated environmental reviews of proposed road and highway projects, and by ceding to state highway agencies the authority to decide whether such reviews should occur."

To read rest of article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/opinion/a-terrible-transportation-bill.html

Reactions?

From NY Times Editorial Feb. 9, 2012

"The list of outrages coming out of the House is long, but the way the Republicans are trying to hijack the $260 billion transportation bill defies belief. This bill is so uniquely terrible that it might not command a majority when it comes to a floor vote, possibly next week, despite Speaker John Boehner’s imprimatur. But betting on rationality with this crew is always a long shot.

Here is a brief and by no means exhaustive list of the bill’s many defects:

¶It would make financing for mass transit much less certain, and more vulnerable, by ending a 30-year agreement that guaranteed mass transit a one-fifth share of the fuel taxes and other user fees in the highway trust fund. Instead it would compete annually with other programs.

¶It would open nearly all of America’s coastal waters to oil and gas drilling, including environmentally fragile areas that have long been off limits. The ostensible purpose is to raise revenue to help make up what has become an annual shortfall for transportation financing. But it is really just one more attempt to promote the Republicans’ drill-now-drill-everywhere agenda and the interests of their industry patrons.

¶It would demolish significant environmental protections by imposing arbitrary deadlines on legally mandated environmental reviews of proposed road and highway projects, and by ceding to state highway agencies the authority to decide whether such reviews should occur."

To read rest of article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/opinion/a-terrible-transportation-bill.html

Reactions?

I see no problem with 2 and 3 you mentioned, I think it would be a great thing becasue then we can have a more certain fuel supply and cheaper gasoline prices like they have in oil rich countries like Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.

This law shows you how much power the Automobile and the Oil Industry still has on America decades after Robert Moses. Another example is the Keystone pipe line, and an even better example is the Natural Gas Industry which is doing the same thing. Why can't America just give up cars that burn fossil fuels and be green. This is why I hate how stupid Americans are, and this is coming from an American. Do you know how shameful it is to hear that come from an American? If I was politician I would be ashamed.

That E85 stuff isn't any better... it costs too much to modify a car to run off of it, and it has nowhere near as much energy as gasoline does. Even with tax credits it's still a bunch of crap, much like any sort of government action towards being "green." Or anything the government does at all...

I like what Europe is doing with biodiesel and turbodiesel... most of these get well above 45 MPG but the average American wants huge displacement engines that sound good as opposed to tiny <2.0L engines that get great MPGs and the government turns a blind eye to anything that isn't gasoline. Why people think they need cars with huge engines for their daily driver I will never understand.

With all the things that are going on I am starting to think that there is a Republican group that is willing to destroy mass transit completely and replace them with highways. I expect them to be people that are rich and don't care about the poor. They are just people that want to see the middle class dead. They want more money in their pockets and I suggest we get rid of them.

That E85 stuff isn't any better... it costs too much to modify a car to run off of it, and it has nowhere near as much energy as gasoline does. Even with tax credits it's still a bunch of crap, much like any sort of government action towards being "green." Or anything the government does at all...

I like what Europe is doing with biodiesel and turbodiesel... most of these get well above 45 MPG but the average American wants huge displacement engines that sound good as opposed to tiny <2.0L engines that get great MPGs and the government turns a blind eye to anything that isn't gasoline. Why people think they need cars with huge engines for their daily driver I will never understand.

if they made a toyota sedan in a diesel here I would buy it. I think its more people associate diesel with big trucks. I would much rather have a solid reliable diesel car than a hybrid car any day of the week. The diesel engine is going to last much longer, and it will be easier to maintain and fix. The hybrid cars they make em so complicated to work on you have to go to the dealer for every little thing.

E85 is a load of crap, it drove up the price of food, and its not as efficient as straight gasoline. From what I hear the ethanol they make in Brasil out of sugar cane works a lot better than the corn based stuff we use here.

We have to balance it out, but first we have to invest in out mass transit infrastructure! INVEST INVEST INVEST!!! I can't stress it anymore!

This leads to me to say why I disapprove with the GOP's transit bill and why mass transit simply isn't an option if you have drove/rode any cars before.

-First, if you look at Europe and Asia, their infrastructure are 100's of miles ahead of our out-dated infrastructure system. Our infrastructure are conjested, rusted and often the cause of people switching back to automobiles.

-Second, politicians have to understand that Taxpayer's moneys shouldn't be wasted on unneeded stuff and most of it should go toward infrastructure improvements, not to excessively benefit the poor, politicians themselves, unneeded services or other nations, e.t.c.

-Third, money has to go to a project by phases, not by year, this way a project can be sped up and not lag which all cost money, a bit because of rising material costs, but mainly because of labor costs.

-Fourth, Public Transit [bus/Metro/Subway/Light Rail] should be priced reasonably, locally not exceed $3.00 in Urban areas, $2.00 in Suburban/Rural Area. Also, Express Bus, Commuter Rail and Commuter Bus all shouldn't exceed $15.00 one way from end to end. This is if a system is in a very good condition which all transit systems around the nation should be. Also, systems like BusTime and Count Down Clocks should be implemented throughout and there should be clearly marked stops and clearly installed schedules posted in places without them.

-Fifth, inter-city rail shouldn't be slow and laggy, all trackage in rural areas should qualify for speeds of least 125 miles per hour/suburban areas should qualify for speeds of at least 80 miles per hour/urban areas should qualify for speeds of at least 30 miles per hour. If NIMBY's complain, let them complain, use eminent domain, they shouldn't block infrastructure improvements for their own benefits.

-Sixth, all rural and suburban stations should have parking space so people can drive to em' and head to work, not to mention service also have to have shorter headways no matter if a transit agency has a lotta money or little money, it's all decided on ridership, not by money.

I'm just sayin', feel free disagree.

If America ruins the environment for us all, I propose Europe and Asia send a joint army to "eliminate" the problem. After all, the entire world has a stake in the environment's health.

If America ruins the environment for us all, I propose Europe and Asia send a joint army to "eliminate" the problem. After all, the entire world has a stake in the environment's health.

the Chinese with all their factories and industry going are probably doing a lot more harm than we are.

Archived