A dying breed: The Orion V diesel & CNG

East New York

Now that their days are numbered, how eo you feel about these buses?

On my way home tonight, I jumped on the first bus available on 125th street as I always do. Tonight, I caught 9837 on the Bx15. I must say that I have fallen in love with these buses all over again. This Detroit Diesel equipped Queens Surface veteran ran like a champ. Even my brother, who can't stand buses said "This baby has some serious pick up and go!"

So now, Im hoping the O5 CNG's dont dissapear as fast as I think they are. Either way it goes, I know one of these bad boys will make it to the museum fleet as they go down in history as the ONLY private lines equiptment to operate on New York City Transit mainline routes.:cool:

Two days ago, I caught a 6000 herself, followed by a 62XX bus in Staten Island. I think I might actually miss these!

I'm the biggest Orion 5 fan here, I'm sure everyone here knows that. And it's always been an uphill battle between these and the RTS, the veteran fleets in service today. But the first bus I rode in my childhood was an Orion 5 with their 6V92 engines on the B35. Man oh man, brings back memories.

Now, I know that they're not all that great at the moment. The 1999 order was rushed and when you rush an order, you get mediocre buses which shows after a period of time. So I'm not oblivious to that at all. I'm not gonna be ignorant and disregard that the Orion 5s have their issues and still give them praise, but I'll recognize their issues and give them credit where needed. I like the way they look, I like the way they run, and I like the way they sound.

Their time is almost coming to an end but it's safe to say that I had some good moments with my favorite buses of all time...met some friends (bus ops. and regular passengers), even got a few girls' numbers! :P

I wonder if I can save 6300 when its time comes to retire and donate it to some museum somewhere in New York for display, maybe in the Staten Island Mall. Lol

I'm the biggest Orion 5 fan here, I'm sure everyone here knows that. And it's always been an uphill battle between these and the RTS, the veteran fleets in service today. But the first bus I rode in my childhood was an Orion 5 with their 6V92 engines on the B35. Man oh man, brings back memories.

Now, I know that they're not all that great at the moment. The 1999 order was rushed and when you rush an order, you get mediocre buses which shows after a period of time. So I'm not oblivious to that at all. I'm not gonna be ignorant and disregard that the Orion 5s have their issues and still give them praise, but I'll recognize their issues and give them credit where needed. I like the way they look, I like the way they run, and I like the way they sound.

Their time is almost coming to an end but it's safe to say that I had some good moments with my favorite buses of all time...met some friends (bus ops. and regular passengers), even got a few girls' numbers! :P

I wonder if I can save 6300 when its time comes to retire and donate it to some museum somewhere in New York for display, maybe in the Staten Island Mall. Lol

184.jpg

For me nothing will beat memories of being in an Orion V on the N4, 35 and 43 with the A/C compressor on...

There has always been a reason as to why I've always said my favorite batch of Orion Vs are in Staten Island, they haul ass, sound good and run hard! Always loved those buses out there.

As for the CNGs, the one thing I'll miss the most about the buses is the Westgate Ringers in them....

9865 seen here was one of my favorite Orion V CNGs at the time with one loud ringer & some loud fans with that but got scrapped early :P

As for the diesel O5s, it's been about three-four years since I last rode one. I used to ride the 100s, 200s, and 6000s all the time on the M1, but once MCH closed and the the early O5s got retired I just stopped catching those buses, haven't taken one since. Always liked the O5 though, especially the little metal baggage holder / handle in the back row. They also rode way better than the low floor buses anyway.

Shit! You just reminded me, man do I have a throwback....

243 seen here operating on the M1 alongside MCI D4500 2185 on the x27!

Gotta say though, when the Orion Vs used to run out of the Manhattan routes, that was the BEST time to fan Manhattan, it added a lot more diversity to what runs in the city. Luckily, I got a few pics of them running in the city, not so much with the vids as this was my only one

I was never a big fan of the O5s, but I do feel those 200s were retired too early. I liked 244 because it was unique for the orange led signs. I'm not saying I hate the Orions, but it's a boring box on wheels. At least the NGs finally brought some new design for the front. I will say that had the O5 diesels at MTA bus started life with NYCT, they'd probably be around a bit longer.

9932 is still rolling... luckily for me I keep seeing it pass my house on the Q38 (when are they going to switch that line back to LGA if ever?)

I loved the Orion V CNG ever since I first starting fanning buses. On an off-topic note, I also remember those 72xx (or was it 7xxx) series RTS on the Q72 @ LGA going past my hosue as well.

I will still never forget that day when I saw an MCI classic on the QM10 (those flat-fronted ones, sorry I keep forgetting names).

anyways, back on topic, I always loved the ones with those loud engine sounds (what is the name for that? could never figure out... I always called it a backfire). Some of those buses were 9871, 9878, 9967, 7272, and a few others that are now dead or muted. Just recently I got 9962 with that backfire sound.

Im not that much of a fan for the deisel type, Though the NYCT ones do have good sounds (the ex-bee line ones, imo, suck).

I love the Orion V. Especially the diesel ones. They felt like they could survive a nuclear earthquake intact and able to roll. Durable, powerful, sleek (for it's time), and ear-pleasuring. Even walking on that bus felt special. They are the pride and joy of my childhood. I wished I lived closer to the routes they ran on back then. Gonna try to get one of those buses before they disappear. The new Orion VII 3G diesels come close, but nothing will be Orion V awesome.

The Orion V has been alwas the top favorite model in my transit life (#2 to the RTS). At first I didn't like the 6000's since they replaced the 5XX & some of the 6XX series. But they truly grew on me after a while & suddenly became my favorite batch of Orion V's too. What I'll miss about them are their unique transmissions whistles & the fact that they're the last of the true Orion buses to be ever manufactered in NYC. They're definitely the best buses of their own kind ever since the '94-96 series!:tup:

As for the Orion V CNG's I'll most defintely miss their ringing tone. I most knew these buses through my JHS. They ran in front of my school on the (Q25) & (Q34) & I'd remember hearing their ringing & even the valve air release sound they'd make when stopping. Plus, I would hear them every 3-5 minutes per class form outside. lol. However now that they're retiring I'll have to make time to catch them again. Even though they have a few more months coming up 'till their complete retirement, it won't be that far off.:eek:

All in all it'll be a sad day once these models are in their grave.

Archived