A dying breed: The Orion V diesel & CNG

East New York

When are they all expected to be gone? im planning on being back in NYC between May and Aug hopefully some will still be around so I can get some pics and some rides.

The pickings may be real slim by then. There will likely be some 6000's and a few CNG's left though. With the exception of some 6000's, and probably a few good 9000's, they will pretty much all be gone by the end of the year.

Does 9827 still have the back replacement from one of the old Orion V L10s from Long Island Bus?

The back stripe was repainted blue.

The pickings may be real slim by then. There will likely be some 6000's and a few CNG's left though. With the exception of some 6000's, and probably a few good 9000's, they will pretty much all be gone by the end of the year.

More of the 6000s are being mass-retired?!?!?!?! I know that the LFS artic order will take some of their numbers, but wouldn't they simply be renumbered?

More of the 6000s are being mass-retired?!?!?!?! I know that the LFS artic order will take some of their numbers, but wouldn't they simply be renumbered?

Maybe... just maybe...

But I'm guessing not since one has been taken out of service for no reason (two others were wrecked).

I am more of an Orion V L10 fan, have to love the rings on those babies, really miss those days when they are dominating the LI Bus fleets, nowadays it's really sad to see their days numbered too, I hope those also end up in the Vintage Fleets or I'd be real saddened...

Perhaps, those are my favorites overall, I just can't love busses without them...

Here's a recording of one of my final rides on the 1997 Long Island Bus CNGs... Best. Ride. Ever.

Recorded back sometime in fall 2010 on the N41. Bus driver was running a bit late so he HAD to move the way he did in this sound clip

Hopefully I can pull it off and get some

My Top Favorite Orion V's are the CNG's, The Best CNG buses ever, My top fav are the ones with the L10G hooked with a B400R, I miss them buses like crazy, But I also like the ex private CNG Orion V's also, The only diesel Orion V"s I liked were the 100-300 series, they were built good and could have out lasted the newer ones.

btw I doubt the 6000's will retire, they can simply just renumber them and send them to (MTA) bus (I have a gut feeling thats gonna happen) to replace those ex bee line Orion V's i would say they would be in the 100 series again or something else who knows

I grew up on the Orion V diesels, first the 1993-96 models at Gun Hill and Kingsbridge depots and then later the 6000-series buses when they arrived. I didn't really discover the CNG Orion Vs until high school, when I started traveling to and from Queens on an occasional basis. I miss those buses on the Q50, and I miss Orion Vs in general a good deal (the MBTA is mostly 40-LFWs and D40LFs, with a few DE60LFRs and some Neoplans). I just wish that they'd chosen to update the model rather than discontinuing it altogether, and chosen to offer us something like this:

MTAHEVExterior.jpg

No one knows yet, probably whichever bus that's part of the Bus Test & Evaluation program (Nova LFS/Orion Third Gen/New Flyer Xcelsior) does the best out of the three. No surprise to see an Orion replace an Orion.

In Queens: Q6/Q10/Q11/Q12/Q13/Q15/Q16/Q20/Q25/Q26/Q31/Q32/Q34/Q40/Q44/Q48/Q50/Q53/Q60/Q65/Q76/Q100, just going off the top of my head here

I remember riding RTS's on the 100 aswell. Which ones run only or primarily O5's?

I am also a big O5 fan..especially the oldies (600's that are pushing their luck). Saw one today, 662. I am sad to say that that thing sounded like CRAP. Well all of you here (or aleast most of you) know that 666 (DEVIL'S BUS) is my FAVORITE of all..Yeah, yeah, say whatever. There are some '99 O5's that are beat up to hell. There was one with a bad HVAC, it was loud as hell and sounded like crap. There are worst, if you sit in the back in the wheelchair seats, and the bus is stopped, there is sometimes an annoying vibration and a sound of something tapping. But, this is my favorite MTA fleet, and they are really pushing their luck (as I said), some sound awesome, some sound like CRAP. What I need to ride these days are the CNG's..forget the diesels, I ride them every time I go bus/railfaning. Every route out of Stengel has them...

The Orion 5.............Best bus of all time.I remember when they were coming in as BIA's ( Bus Industries of America) back around 93'.The Q48 prior to that was RTS when I lived in East Elmhurst at the time.I literally ran for an Orion 5 #6010 on the Q44 just to get home.I wouldnt miss a ride on that bad girl for the world!.

Archived