In Remembrance: Whitney Houston

Guest Lance

Guest lance25
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music’s queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.

At her peak in the 1980s and ’90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world’s best-selling artists.

Among her hits were “How Will I Know,” “Saving All My Love for You” and “I Will Always Love You.” She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies like “The Bodyguard.”

But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.

Courtesy: WCBS New York, AP

My jaw nearly dropped when I heard the news. May she rest in peace! Sad about what went down between her & Bobby Brown & the drugs didn't help her neither. My thanks to Whitney Houston for her 15-20 of inspiring music.

However I still question & misunderstand whether she's actually dead or not. Nobody knows how or where she died, so how did they (Media) know she's dead?:confused: (Unless it's fake)

Wow. Just found out about it coming home a few minutes ago on the 11pm newscasts. RIP Whitney.:cry:

So with Micheal Jackson passing away only a couple of years ago and now Whitney, the two great symbols of the music era of the 1980's and early '90's has left us.

Here one of her last major hits that was among my favorite of Ms. Houston a duet with Faith Evans and Kelly Price circa 1998/'99.

My jaw nearly dropped when I heard the news. May she rest in peace! Sad about what went down between her & Bobby Brown & the drugs didn't help her neither. My thanks to Whitney Houston for her 15-20 of inspiring music.

However I still question & misunderstand whether she's actually dead or not. Nobody knows how or where she died, so how did they (Media) know she's dead?:confused: (Unless it's fake)

Nova actually Houston has been a celebrity since she around 1985. So that over a quarter of century in the spotlight.

I was in shock when I heard the news. I was at the movies and before the film (Safe House) started, I got notification on the phone before I turned it off that Whitney Houston had died and I my mouth dropped. I remember when I first heard of her. It was in 1985 when I was 6 years old that I heard the song "You Give Good Love" and I knew then that she would be a star and by the end of the year, she was. She was such an incredible singer and a great actress and I am definately gonna miss her. Such a tragedy.

R.I.P. Whitney Houston :)

What a waste of talent and potential.She used to be a very talented and respectable artist and human being until she let the fame all go to her head,got that cocky attitude and just gave it all up on drugs and started acting like a low life.She could have kept her career going for a very long time if she kept her priorities in order.

A crying shame yes, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a total shocker.

Seeing her reality show,how she carried herself in public and how she treated others,I don't think she deserves much pity,she became a mean cynical person with no compassion for the others around her.

Another lesson life teaches about fame and drugs.

Whitney+Houston+looking+worse+wear+leaves+5FHAb9klqg1l.jpg

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/ffaYG9qshGf/Whitney+Houston+Leaving+Tru+Hollywood+Nightclub/5FHAb9klqg1

What a waste of talent and potential.She used to be a very talented and respectable artist and human being until she let the fame all go to her head,got that cocky attitude and just gave it all up on drugs and started acting like a low life.She could have kept her career going for a very long time if she kept her priorities in order.

A crying shame yes, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a total shocker.

Seeing her reality show,how she carried herself in public and how she treated others,I don't think she deserves much pity,she became a mean cynical person with no compassion for the others around her.

Another lesson life teaches about fame and drugs.

Whitney+Houston+looking+worse+wear+leaves+5FHAb9klqg1l.jpg

Whitney Houston Leaving Tru Hollywood Nightclub - Pictures - Zimbio

Duke i can't argue what you said above. It may seem very mean at first what you said in your post, right after her death but it's true, drugs destroys lives. Whitney(of course i never met her)early in her career around 1985-'86, was a sweet young woman and a nice person and an once in a lifetime music career as the most popular entertainers on the planet. By 2008 however, only 20-plus years later she acted like a jerk (of course being 'high' most of the time) and a totally different person on the infamous reality show with Mr. Brown.

So sadly Whitney now joins an long and infamous list of world famous musicians since 1970 from Hendrix, Joplin, Morrision, Elvis and more recently, Micheal Jackson and Amy Winehouse who did not live past age 50 because of drugs.

Hope this tragic Houston passing is a last warning to the many celebrities still on drugs or trying to recover *cough cough* Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, Baseball Star Josh Hamilton and many others they better clean up or they be in a grave themselves very soon.B)

An update. Just saw the 6pm news and although not yet confirmed by the LA Medical Examiner TMZ is reporting that Whitney drown and died in the tub of her hotel room after 'od' from taking pain killers and alcohol.

Whitney Houston Dead: Singer Dies At 48

Still very sad. I have not watched the Grammys in a while but like many people, I will watch at least part of it tonight.

Tonight on the WABC news they featured both Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson in their opening segment about Houston. It was then that I knew that this was a big deal.

All i can say is Al Shaprton IMO is full of it and should stick to politics and being an activist. Not meant to offend his supporters but he is not the 'voice' of for everyone in "Black America." Thus I am getting tired now that anytime a major Afro-American celebrity makes news or dies, the media goes to him for a comment. I can understand maybe commenting on Micheal Jackson's passing a few years back since he was friends of Micheal's, Dad Joe Jackson, for years. With that said, I don't even know if Rev. Al and Whitney ever met but that for another discussion.This also applies to Mitt Romney and those in politics as well. If anything i would rather only hear comments from those in the music biz who knew her from her mentor/long time manager Clive Davis to Aretha and Dionne Warwick.

Watched the Grammys and they did a great tribute to Whitney. Also a good tribute to 1960's and '70's era Pop/Country Legend Glen Campbell.

Still very sad that a great music performer in Ms. Houston is gone.

Just to show how death and publicty has on society these days, last night's 2012 Grammys on backdrop of Whitney's death had near record tv ratings. An estimated 40-million-plus people just in the US alone watched some or all of the show. Thus it was 2nd only to the 1984 Grammys for most watched all time. The '84 show was of course at height of Micheal Jackson's popularity in which he won a record number of grammys.

Here link. TV ratings: Grammy Awards score second-biggest audience ever - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

Archived