Bad bus operator

Marctalky1

I was going home and I saw an M34 SBS with the wheelchair lift down the man in the wheelchair was struggling to get up the ramp. Guess what the bus operator didn't help him at all. I stepped in and helped this man on the bus. I mean whats wrong with these people I'm just walking to Penn station and I see this and I couldn't resist I had to help him with NO HELP FROM THE OPERATOR. Why must people be like this to other fellow humans. I thought people who drive the bus were supposed to be nice well not this guy on the M34.

Before you get your thongs too caught up, let me explain that no operator is required to help anyone board the bus. Guess what? If they fall while the operator is trying to assist them, they'll turn around and point the blame at him. And you know what? TA is gonna go full jets in hanging the operator too. Our job is to operate the bus, not be your personal assistant. This is why there's QUALIFIED assistants with many folks who are disabled in wheelchairs. Last thing we need is for a passenger to start pointing fingers at the operator.

As long as the bus is parked properly, kneel deployed and close to the curb as possible, our part of the task is finished; the rest is on you.

I don't mean to sound cold, but I have to shut it down before you guys start talking about a whole lotta nothing.

MTA Bus Operators are not required to assist passengers at all, and most time are encouraged not to do so. That's not part of their job description, and if they (passengers) get hurt, or something on their wheelchair gets broken, guess who's responsible.

One false move, and "assisting" passengers can get you on the unemployment line.

Thank you I did not know that. This all makes sense now that I have the information. I just posted it because this is first time I saw an old person in a non motorized wheelchair by themselves. Old people shouldn't have that all. old people should have a motorized chair to make sure that they can get on the bus in the easiest and safest way.

I think we all forgot the most important thing here. If the operator hurts his or her back trying to pull that wheel chair on the bus, mta will try not to pay you any type of workers comp and tell you that you should have never tried to assist the wheel chair passenger get on the bus.

Archived