What would a 6-tracked line look like?

CenSin

I think that they should eliminate merging the (Q)(T) into a 2T line. They should put the (Q) via 2 Av Express, and the (T) local. Throw in a few Express stations too. I do not know exactly how far they are in the project, but they can make that kind of change with about 12 yrs left.

Anyways, there is a simulator called trainz that has these types of 6T stations you speak of. I already have them and am constructing a subway route. Copyright goes to Green Eggs n' Pelham of this forum.

6T Bypass

DeKalb02.jpg

DeKalbBypass.jpg

6T Island

Hoyt-Schermerhorn.jpg

And the one that you have been waiting for, the 6T side station.

135thSt.jpg

This may be a 4T station, but it shows some very accurate NYCTA tracks (Copyright to BStyles)

4TIslandStation.jpg

How about in action (Copyright to Cait Sith)?

Then the (Q) won't have access to the Broadway Line taking a service away from the Broadway Line. Instead why don't you just create some new services and make the Second Avenue Subway a trunk (4 tracks) or a super trunk (6 tracks) line, and have more than just the (T) run on the Second Avenue Subway? Then you can have all these new services serve the Boroughs which still lack decent subway service...

Then the (Q) won't have access to the Broadway Line taking a service away from the Broadway Line. Instead why don't you just create some new services and make the Second Avenue Subway a trunk (4 tracks) or a super trunk (6 tracks) line, and have more than just the (T) run on the Second Avenue Subway? Then you can have all these new services serve the Boroughs which still lack decent subway service...

You got it wrong. I Meant that the (Q) would come in as the Express line at 72nd street. Then probably to 96th, then 116th, then 125th. Sure they could carry the express tracks all the way down, but why would the (Q) not have access to the Broadway line? You know how much money it would cost for the (Q) to run under the river from Hanover Square to DeKalb Ave?

You know the Express tracks after 57th Street to Queensbridge? It is gonna be like the (M) at Myrtle Avenue. You know how the tracks branch out to run to Metropolitan Av? That is how it is. They could do either 1 of 2 things;

1) Join the 2 Av line as express tracks (first express service on the whole line), and travel express as I said. I have already stated the stops. FYI, the (T) would make all stops between 72nd and 125th.

2) Join service with the <T> 2 Av Express (I am just calling the Express this for now, as we have the <4>, <5>, <6>, <7>, <Q>, <R>, all Express services of a circle line). Yes, the <R> was Nassau Express. The <T> would stop at all stops Hanover Square to Grand Street, then 14th, 34th, 42nd, 72nd, 96th, 116th, and 125th.

I see no possible way that there could be a 6T Line on the (T), that is unless you decided to make the (Q) run via 2 Av Bypass, probably stopping at 72nd, 116th, and 125th, which completely defeats the purpose of the line.

The 6T station pictures were requested. I gave em.

You got it wrong. I Meant that the (Q) would come in as the Express line at 72nd street. Then probably to 96th, then 116th, then 125th. Sure they could carry the express tracks all the way down, but why would the (Q) not have access to the Broadway line? You know how much money it would cost for the (Q) to run under the river from Hanover Square to DeKalb Ave?

You know the Express tracks after 57th Street to Queensbridge? It is gonna be like the (M) at Myrtle Avenue. You know how the tracks branch out to run to Metropolitan Av? That is how it is. They could do either 1 of 2 things;

1) Join the 2 Av line as express tracks (first express service on the whole line), and travel express as I said. I have already stated the stops. FYI, the (T) would make all stops between 72nd and 125th.

2) Join service with the <T> 2 Av Express (I am just calling the Express this for now, as we have the <4>, <5>, <6>, <7>, <Q>, <R>, all Express services of a circle line). Yes, the <R> was Nassau Express. The <T> would stop at all stops Hanover Square to Grand Street, then 14th, 34th, 42nd, 72nd, 96th, 116th, and 125th.

I see no possible way that there could be a 6T Line on the (T), that is unless you decided to make the (Q) run via 2 Av Bypass, probably stopping at 72nd, 116th, and 125th, which completely defeats the purpose of the line.

The 6T station pictures were requested. I gave em.

The diamond signs like the <6> and <7> are being phased out. The (MTA) is getting rid of them because tourists are getting confused. Best to get rid of them.

I did read the previous posts. So, what's your point?

Here's the point:

OP's question was a 6 track line with varied revenue services on all tracks (unlike 135, BB and Hoyt) extending at least for a sequence of stations. That's what was meant by 6 track line, not a 6 track station or areas on the mainline with 6 tracks side by side.

Single stations, junctions, and non-revenue tracks don't count. Atlantic Avenue on the Canarsie line was a junction. On 2 Avenue, the plan was originally envisioned such that 6 tracks ran from 125 Street to 61 Street—clearly on a different scale than any of the examples presented.

The diamond signs like the <6> and <7> are being phased out. The (MTA) is getting rid of them because tourists are getting confused. Best to get rid of them.

The <6> and <7> still remain (compared to the former <B><M> or <5>) since there are peak-direction express service operating at the same time as their local counterparts, versus part-time/peak hour extensions of regular lines. In theory, the <D> would be too, as it runs as a Grand Concourse express only in peak direction.

The <6> and <7> still remain (compared to the former <B><M> or <5>) since there are peak-direction express service operating at the same time as their local counterparts, versus part-time/peak hour extensions of regular lines. In theory, the <D> would be too, as it runs as a Grand Concourse express only in peak direction.

The <D> does not exist because there is no peak direction (D).

There has been plans to change the <6> to the 70(8), and to change the <7> to a (9) or something like that.

I had some time so I drew what a six tracked subway line would have looked like. One of the most interesting things I have found out when I was drawing this was that the super express platform would have had serve trains from both directions. The outer island platforms would be similar to the current four tracked subway lines now with trains coming in from one direction. So basically let's say what would have had happened if the Second Avenue Subway was built as a six tracked line like proposed in the 1930's.

It would have looked something like this.

(T)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Local-Uses outer tracks).

(U)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Local-Uses outer tracks).

(X)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Express-Uses outer platform's inner tracks. Basically tracks 2 and 5. Track 2 to 125th Street, track 5 to Hanover Square.)

(Y)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Express-Uses outer platform's inner tracks. Basically tracks 2 and 5. Track 2 to 125th Street, track 5 to Hanover Square.)

(P)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Super express-Uses center platform. Center platform handles trains from both directions.)

(K)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Super express-Uses center platform. Center platform handles trains from both directions.)

So the center platform handles trains from both directions while the outer platform handles trains from one direction. The outer platforms have a job similar to the the four tracked lines except the center one.

Track map.

6884761409_8461b3d1ab_z.jpg

I had some time so I drew what a six tracked subway line would have looked like. One of the most interesting things I have found out when I was drawing this was that the super express platform would have had serve trains from both directions. The outer island platforms would be similar to the current four tracked subway lines now with trains coming in from one direction. So basically let's say what would have had happened if the Second Avenue Subway was built as a six tracked line like proposed in the 1930's.

It would have looked something like this.

(T)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Local-Uses outer tracks).

(U)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Local-Uses outer tracks).

(X)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Express-Uses outer platform's inner tracks. Basically tracks 2 and 5. Track 2 to 125th Street, track 5 to Hanover Square.)

(Y)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Express-Uses outer platform's inner tracks. Basically tracks 2 and 5. Track 2 to 125th Street, track 5 to Hanover Square.)

(P)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Super express-Uses center platform. Center platform handles trains from both directions.)

(K)-125th Street to Hanover Square (Super express-Uses center platform. Center platform handles trains from both directions.)

So the center platform handles trains from both directions while the outer platform handles trains from one direction. The outer platforms have a job similar to the the four tracked lines except the center one.

Track map.

6884761409_8461b3d1ab_z.jpg

Too many lines bruh too many lines. Just put like an (S) to run the normal Express. We are talking R46s and the occasional R160s. If they wanted, they could even throw in some of the old R32s they plan to scrap. Run the (Q) via Bypass.

Too many lines bruh too many lines. Just put like an (S) to run the normal Express. We are talking R46s and the occasional R160s. If they wanted, they could even throw in some of the old R32s they plan to scrap. Run the (Q) via Bypass.

Such a line will probably be a super-trunk line. It's designed like that to give more subway access to the outer boroughs. Since you now have more new subway lines to send out.

All of the (D) trains run express. There is no ambiguity here and nothing needs to be differentiated, hence, no need for a <D>.

It's still Peak Direction only. And there are those people that don't read and get on a (D) thinking it'll be local in the Bronx. If they saw a different shape, that may not happen.

It's still Peak Direction only. And there are those people that don't read and get on a (D) thinking it'll be local in the Bronx. If they saw a different shape, that may not happen.

I think there's a bigger picture that should be looked at here: bullet shapes don't make a difference even on lines where the different label is necessary like the (7). They had to install colored LED lights to make the difference prominent because either people couldn't figure out the difference without it or it took too much work to change the signs at the terminals.

If you want to argue about the technicality still, there's a good reason why the (D)'s one-way express service doesn't qualify for a diamond designation, and it lies in whether a passenger is able to make a choice between an express or local train. Given a time span, every single train along the (D), (J), (Z), (4), (5) run on the same tracks for each direction whereas the (6) and (7) have trains running on different tracks for one of the directions. Knowing that a train runs express at a certain time is sufficient information to plan your trip for the (D) (since there isn't a choice between a local or express (D) and thus there is no ambiguity), but not for the (7), because you still have to figure out which train runs express or local, thus necessitating a difference in the bullet to allow passengers to choose amongst two different choices (eliminating ambiguity).

I have designated terms for these lines especially since such lines might come into existence someday, or they already exist.

Mini-Branch- 1 to 2 tracks. Runs for an extremely short distance. Such an example would be the (S) lines that exist all over the New York City Subway. They don't do much except move people around to allow them to transfer.

Branch- 2 to 3 tracks. Runs for a long distance. Serves people, but it doesn't usually have express service except for peak directional services when required. Examples include the West End Line (D) and the southern section of the Culver Line (F).

Trunk- 4 tracks. Also runs for a long distance, but such a line has frequent express service. Most NYC Subway lines are trunk lines. Examples include the Sixth Avenue Line (B)(D)(F)(M), and the Broadway Line (N)(Q)(R).

Super-Trunk- 5 to 6 tracks. These lines are massive. They might have peak directional to full super express train service. Examples of these lines don't exist, but there are stations with 6 tracks. Examples of stations with 6 tracks includes South Fourth Street, and Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets (A)(C)(G). The original Second Avenue Subway proposal were supposed to carry 6 tracks.

Root Line- 7-8 tracks. Extremely massive line. I can't imagine what all these tracks would be used for. There are so many tracks that it would blow the mind of anyone looking at it. Such lines also doesn't exist, but stations like this do which includes Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue (D)(F)(N)(Q) which is a terminal.

For those of you interested in some plans from the early 1930's: I found this scanned article, courtesy of Modern Mechanix. It dates back to October, 1931.

The six-track layout can clearly be seen here: two local tracks on either side of a road tunnel on the upper level, and four express tracks for express and 'suburban' service directly below the road tunnel.

I really doubt, though, whether the plan for a six track line underneath 2nd Avenue has ever moved beyond the point of 'hey, this might be a good idea for combining different traffic flows'. And this drawing, of course.

lower_streets.jpg

For those of you interested in some plans from the early 1930's: I found this scanned article, courtesy of Modern Mechanix. It dates back to October, 1931.

The six-track layout can clearly be seen here: two local tracks on either side of a road tunnel on the upper level, and four express tracks for express and 'suburban' service directly below the road tunnel.

I really doubt, though, whether the plan for a six track line underneath 2nd Avenue has ever moved beyond the point of 'hey, this might be a good idea for combining different traffic flows'. And this drawing, of course.

lower_streets.jpg

By suburban rapid transit, I'd assume "super express."

• 3 months later...

I have designated terms for these lines especially since such lines might come into existence someday, or they already exist.

Mini-Branch- 1 to 2 tracks. Runs for an extremely short distance. Such an example would be the (S) lines that exist all over the New York City Subway. They don't do much except move people around to allow them to transfer.

Branch- 2 to 3 tracks. Runs for a long distance. Serves people, but it doesn't usually have express service except for peak directional services when required. Examples include the West End Line (D) and the southern section of the Culver Line (F).

Trunk- 4 tracks. Also runs for a long distance, but such a line has frequent express service. Most NYC Subway lines are trunk lines. Examples include the Sixth Avenue Line (B)(D)(F)(M), and the Broadway Line (N)(Q)(R).

Super-Trunk- 5 to 6 tracks. These lines are massive. They might have peak directional to full super express train service. Examples of these lines don't exist, but there are stations with 6 tracks. Examples of stations with 6 tracks includes South Fourth Street, and Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets (A)(C)(G). The original Second Avenue Subway proposal were supposed to carry 6 tracks.

Root Line- 7-8 tracks. Extremely massive line. I can't imagine what all these tracks would be used for. There are so many tracks that it would blow the mind of anyone looking at it. Such lines also doesn't exist, but stations like this do which includes Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue (D)(F)(N)(Q) which is a terminal.

The root line could be used for the following purposes:

To allow a one level, two trunk transfer if soil conditions don't allow for a double decked line. For example, if West Fourth Street was a one level station.

To combine a regional & local lines, for example, having subway lines on the inner tracks and MNR on the outer tracks.

Archived