What would a 6-tracked line look like?

CenSin

Another setup for an express station would be the super express tracks stacked above or below the regular express tracks, so it would be like a regular four track express stop, with two other tracks on another level. You could also have the local tracks on an inbetween level, so that you would have a little ramp or a few steps in places from one exp. track across the platform to the local tracks, and then another ramp or steps from the local track to the other express track. To get the best idea of this, think of modern multilevel parking garages.

Another setup for an express station would be the super express tracks stacked above or below the regular express tracks, so it would be like a regular four track express stop, with two other tracks on another level. You could also have the local tracks on an inbetween level, so that you would have a little ramp or a few steps in places from one exp. track across the platform to the local tracks, and then another ramp or steps from the local track to the other express track. To get the best idea of this, think of modern multilevel parking garages.

I had a similar idea for a fantasy Amsterdam subway:

4 lines:

(H): Super Express

(I): Local

(P): Express

(X): Local

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up something old.

The only way I could see something like a super-express is if the super-express was aregional train like if the Metro-North ran on the inner 2 tracks of a 6-track Lexington Avenue line, going straight from Grand Central to 125th. One of the best examples of this in real life isthe RER with connection to the Paris Metró. Of course my Metro-North proposal has many flaws, I'm not going to list them all here, but I'm just creating an example that is somewhat relative.

The only way I could see something like a super-express is if the super-express was aregional train like if the Metro-North ran on the inner 2 tracks of a 6-track Lexington Avenue line, going straight from Grand Central to 125th. One of the best examples of this in real life isthe RER with connection to the Paris Metró. Of course my Metro-North proposal has many flaws, I'm not going to list them all here, but I'm just creating an example that is somewhat relative.

Something like a line from Co-op City or Wakefield should be a super-express. It's far enough that the ride is bloody long. Any pair of tracks "more express" than that would best be for intercity travel.

How about the once proposed South 4th Street line as part of the IND Second System, its maps and blueprints that may still exist, and whatever pics that were taken of that station shell in Brooklyn? (The ghost station shell that exists above the present day Broadway station on the IND Crosstown line) That may help you to visualize how planners were envisioning a 6 track line once upon a time.

I would think that for one thing the ROWs will vary on each of the six tracks as geological conditions change along its proposed route not just at stations (express or otherwise) but in general. The grades and slopes of the roadbeds, the type of tunnel construction, the paths they individually take, etc. etc.

Exactly. The Amtrak and NJT do something similar to this. But with 4T instead of 6T. Most of the Amtrak trains run in the middle Express, while most of the NJT trains, usually the BBLs run Local. I like the idea of what you have with the Grand Central to 125 St.

For a 6-track area please see Hoyt-Schermerhorn . Add a little lighting to the two side tracks and voila. That is how a 6-track line would look like.

Ahem...

SUPER TRUNK

6T island

Hoyt St (A)(C)(G)

6T Bypass

DeKalb Av (B)(Q)(R)

6T Side

135 St (B)(C)

ROOT LINE

Chief that is nowhere near Subway. That is all CR. If the Subway had Side-By-Side transfers instead of walking, that would change the game with the Root Lines boss.

For a 6-track area please see Hoyt-Schermerhorn . Add a little lighting to the two side tracks and voila. That is how a 6-track line would look like.

That's a 6-tracked station. You should reread the previous posts. A 6-tracked line is 6-tracked for an extended length with different services on each pair running in parallel (but not all tracks serving every station).

Same for the Astoria Express. I heard that some (N)(Q) trains run Express from 39 Av to reduce clogging during rush hour.

They run them on the express track if it's from Queensboro Plaza, or they'll occasionally have the train stop only at stops like Broadway or 30th Avenue, or any combination. They do that a lot during the PM rush towards Ditmars.

That was before they changed the definition of a diamond service. Before, it meant any rush hour only service (including a special express). Then, on lines like the <6> and <7>, it expanded to all day peak direction express (eventually, the (J) was expanded like this as well). Then, it was used to distinguish express and local (Q) during the Manhattan Bridge changes, and that seems when they decided to make it "express that runs at the same time as the local version of the same line".

138 St Bypass

Jerome Av Express

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-4d.svg.png

Flatbush Av Extension

WPR Express

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-5d.svg.png

Concourse Extension

168 St Extension

120px-B_Train_-_Yellow_diamond_%281986-1988%29.svg.png120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Bd.svg.png

Bedford Park Blvd Extension

168 St Extension

120px-CC_Train_-_diamond.svg.png120px-C_Train_-_diamond_%28pre-1987%29.svg.png

Concourse Express

West End Express

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Dd.svg.png

Brighton Beach Extension

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Jd.svg.png

Bay Pkwy Extension

120px-M_Train_-_Brown_diamond.svg.png

Astoria Express

Sea Beach Express

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Nd.svg.png

Brighton Express

120px-QB_Train_%281979-1985%29.svg.png120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Qd.svg.png

Chambers St Extension

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd.svg.png120px-RR_Train_-_Yellow_diamond.svg.png

Astoria Express

West End Express

120px-NYCS-bull-trans-Wd.svg.png

My guess would be that a 6-track line could be set up with a four-tracked upper level and then two additional express tracks down below, or with all six tracks on one level, with the center tracks used either for regular express or super express/bypass service depending on the needs of the corridor. If this were to be implemented in NYC either paradigm would be feasible depending on which lines we're discussing; the Second Avenue and Lexington Avenue lines would be great for the two local/four express model and the Queens Blvd line would be great for the two local/two express/two bypass model.

For the Lexington Avenue Line, I'd suggest this:

Merge the center track on the (4) into the two outer tracks just south of 149 St.

Have the (5) tracks come up on either side of the (4) tracks, thus making 138 St/Concourse a four-track local station.

Install a pair of crossovers just north of 138 St/Concourse allowing (4) trains to cross to/from the local tracks and (5) trains to/from the express tracks.

Bring the (6)<6> into 125 St on the current upper level (two tracks), with the (4) and (5) coming in on four tracks with two island platforms on the lower level.

Widen the upper level island platform such that the two upper-level tracks are directly above the lower-level outside tracks.

Install two sets of five crossovers arranged in an X1 just north and just south of the station on the lower level to allow for relaying of short-turned trains.

Install a set of crossovers just north of 125 St on the upper level, and add ramps just north of the crossover to connect the upper-level tracks to both pairs of lower-level tracks2.

Run the four lower-level tracks under the (6) tracks between 125 St and 51 St, with the upper level reduced to two tracks along that entire stretch, and four-track, two-island-platform stations on the lower level at 86 St and 59 St.

Between 51 St and 42 St-Grand Central, all four express tracks would rise to the same level as the local tracks, creating a six-track, single-level station a la Hoyt-Schermerhorn at Grand Central. All current (6) local stops south of 42nd St would be rebuilt in the style of the 135 St (B)(C) station, with 14 St and Brooklyn Bridge being built in the style of Hoyt-Schermerhorn St as well.

There would be a set of crossovers just north of Brooklyn Bridge permitting trains from the express tracks to connect to the Brooklyn Bridge-bound platform (and vice versa) and trains from the local tracks to access the Brooklyn-bound-platforms (and trains from Brooklyn to access the local tracks.

South of the station the outermost tracks would dip down and go into the City Hall loop, while the inner four tracks continue to Bowling Green, with Fulton St, Wall St, and Bowling Green converted into four-track, two-island-platform stations. Connect the inner two tracks to the tunnel, the outer two to the loop, and add a last pair of crossovers allowing trains on the outer two tracks to access Brooklyn and the inner two tracks to access the Bowling Green loop, and there you go.

As far as 2 Av goes, I'm mapping that out now. I'll probably post a map of it later tonight or tomorrow.

Update; I put together a Google Map showing how I wish the 2 Av lines were arranged, including a reasonable description of how the tracks behave (just click on the station icons), available at https://maps.google.....181874,0.41851 A couple notes; first off, not every station placemark is on the same page because there are so many of them, and second, I only put stations and track descriptions for lines or parts of lines that I've added. Therefore, there's no info on the (Q) south of 63 St because I haven't changed anything on the (Q) south of 63 St. Similarly, the lack of stations or information on the (X) west of Lorimer St is because the (X) and the (L) are essentially the same line on the same (unchanged) tracks west of Lorimer St.

Update; I put together a Google Map showing how I wish the 2 Av lines were arranged, including a reasonable description of how the tracks behave (just click on the station icons), available at https://maps.google.....181874,0.41851 A couple notes; first off, not every station placemark is on the same page because there are so many of them, and second, I only put stations and track descriptions for lines or parts of lines that I've added. Therefore, there's no info on the (Q) south of 63 St because I haven't changed anything on the (Q) south of 63 St. Similarly, the lack of stations or information on the (X) west of Lorimer St is because the (X) and the (L) are essentially the same line on the same (unchanged) tracks west of Lorimer St.

Fantasy OMG!

This thread has just headed downhill real fast

Archived