Bus Scheduling using interlining

nostalgia

I've always been interested in bus scheduling, looking at schedules trying to figure out how many buses are on a route. It gets complicated if more than one bus route serves the same terminus. For example, 80, 81, 55 and 71 terminate and originate at Sunrise Mall. The best I've been able to figure out is: Monday-Friday

Lv Hicksville Arr Sunrise Mall Lv Sunrise Arr Hicksville

80 :15 :55 :37 :17

81 :45 :31 :00 :47

Lv Hempstead

55 :30 :13 :40 :23

71 :45 :38 :01 :51

The 80 arrives Sunrise at :55. I can't believe it will wait for the next 80 trip at :37 but instead returns to Hicksville on the 81 at :00. The reverse applies for 81, arriving Sunrise :31 and leaving at :37 on 80. I believe the transit term is 80 and 81 interline at Sunrise.

There isn't enough time for the 71 to arrive at Sunrise at :38 and leave at :40on the 55. A friend who works in planning for the Washington, DC system told me that 10% of running time is used for recovery. It looks like there is no interlining and the 55 and 71 have a long layover at Sunrise.

The Saturday schedule for 80 and 81 are virtually the same except the buses start later in the morning so I expect the same interlining to occur.

The Sunday schedule is :

Lv Hempstead Arr Sunrise Mall Lv Sunrise Arr Hempstead

55 :00 :40 :10 :52

71 :15 :56 :53 :35

With a 15 minute layover, the 55 and 71 interline at Sunrise.

The BIG question, Monday-Friday, what happens when the 80 and 81 return to Hicksville. 80 arrives :17. Does it sit for almost 20 minutes before going out on the 81? Same question for the 81 arriving at :47. Does it go out on the next 80 at :15?

Do 80 and 81 interline with another route at Hicksville.

I apologize in advance to those whom I have confused.

• 4 weeks later...

being that i drove 7304 for awhile i can answer your question....When i Drove for long island bus an my uncle worked for suffolk, those drivers stay on one route the entire route....however, lib used a system called "linking" routes together so you do more than one line in a day

suppose you were the 1127 out of Hicksville railroad as a n73, arrive wantagh 1201 at sunrise mall

return trip as a n74 1206 arrive hicksville rail 1235

look at the schedule for the n81 you have 10 minutes to get to the broadway mall and you are the 1245 out of Broadway mall and you arrive at sunrise mall 131

from there you leave sunrise mall as an n80 at 137 arrive 217...

and so forth ....that is not an actual run and not all trips work like this....but this is similar

hope that helps :P

being that i drove 7304 for awhile i can answer your question....When i Drove for long island bus an my uncle worked for suffolk, those drivers stay on one route the entire route....however, lib used a system called "linking" routes together so you do more than one line in a day

suppose you were the 1127 out of Hicksville railroad as a n73, arrive wantagh 1201 at sunrise mall

return trip as a n74 1206 arrive hicksville rail 1235

look at the schedule for the n81 you have 10 minutes to get to the broadway mall and you are the 1245 out of Broadway mall and you arrive at sunrise mall 131

from there you leave sunrise mall as an n80 at 137 arrive 217...

and so forth ....that is not an actual run and not all trips work like this....but this is similar

hope that helps :P

Thanks for the information. I need to check. The N73 arrives Merrick Road(?) instead of Sunrise Mall at 1201 and leaves at 1206. Then there's a deadhead to Broadway Mall, leaving on the 81 returning as the 80.

I figured out the linking at Sunrise Mall but it was too difficult to figure out what happened at Hicksville. It's impossible to figure out the interlining at Hempstead without a scorecard.:tup:

Heres a cool one,

27 Glen cove

21 Flushing

21 Glen Cove

27 Hempstead

55 Sunrise Mall

71 Hempstead

72 Farmingdale

72 Hempstead

Look for him every sunday!

When does he go back to the depot to refill the gas?

This guy Works 51 hours a week.

His schedule is Saturday thru Wednesday

Saturday N73 With 2 N22 roundtrips.

Sunday That mess I mentioned Earlier in thread.

M-W 7904 He starts at 1225 from Mineola his last run is the 925 from Mineola when he Arrives at WWM HE DEAD HEADS BACK FROM WWM! WHAT A WAY TO WASTE MONEY!!!!! the 11 10 N79 is supposedly a guy from the N49. NICE amazes me how they do picks. SMH.

M-W 7904 He starts at 1225 from Mineola his last run is the 925 from Mineola when he Arrives at WWM HE DEAD HEADS BACK FROM WWM! WHAT A WAY TO WASTE MONEY!!!!! the 11 10 N79 is supposedly a guy from the N49. NICE amazes me how they do picks. SMH.

According to the current schedule, the weekday 925 PM from Mineola arrives WWM at 1023. There's a 1110 from WWM. Where does that bus come from? N49 doesn't go anywhere near WWM and it doesn't make any sense to deadhead a N49 to WWM when there is already a N79 sitting at WWM. The 1110 from WWM must be the N79 that arrived at 1023.

Nevermind that, the N79 arrives WWM at :32 and leaves at :10. That's an incredibly long layover but that's done for a 30 minute headway from Plainview.:P

Thats an insane waste of fuel.

According to the current schedule, the weekday 925 PM from Mineola arrives WWM at 1023. There's a 1110 from WWM. Where does that bus come from? N49 doesn't go anywhere near WWM and it doesn't make any sense to deadhead a N49 to WWM when there is already a N79 sitting at WWM. The 1110 from WWM must be the N79 that arrived at 1023.

Nevermind that, the N79 arrives WWM at :32 and leaves at :10. That's an incredibly long layover but that's done for a 30 minute headway from Plainview.;)

The Driver told me himself that he deadheads don't argue with me. You can find him on the LIE at night, Woodbury road in Hicksville, Jericho Turnpike by brush hollow road, or Willis ave and the LIE. He told me goes anyone of those ways to go back to the yard.

The Driver told me himself that he deadheads don't argue with me. You can find him on the LIE at night, Woodbury road in Hicksville, Jericho Turnpike by brush hollow road, or Willis ave and the LIE. He told me goes anyone of those ways to go back to the yard.

If this was a court of law, your statement would be considered hearsay and not admissible. When I hear the operator say he deadheads, I'll believe it.

You're young. You need to learn to evaluate information. Do you accept everything everybody says at face value? I compared your statement to the timetable and it just didn't make any sense. Think for a moment. Does it make sense for a N79 to deadhead FROM WWM and a N49 to deadhead TO WWM?;)

If this was a court of law, your statement would be considered hearsay and not admissible. When I hear the operator say he deadheads, I'll believe it.

You're young. You need to learn to evaluate information. Do you accept everything everybody says at face value? I compared your statement to the timetable and it just didn't make any sense. Think for a moment. Does it make sense for a N79 to deadhead FROM WWM and a N49 to deadhead TO WWM?;)

No it doesn't make sense but thats that it is. The last N49 is at 10 48 it doesn't take that long at night to get to WWM from broadway mall to deadhead. It takes 16 mins to get there according to google maps. that means that he gets there at 11 06 and has 4 mins to depart.

I'm inviting you this weekend or next week to take a trip with him and us to settle this.

No it doesn't make sense but thats that it is. The last N49 is at 10 48 it doesn't take that long at night to get to WWM from broadway mall to deadhead. It takes 16 mins to get there according to google maps. that means that he gets there at 11 06 and has 4 mins to depart.

I'm inviting you this weekend or next week to take a trip with him and us to settle this.

I don't know the route google maps plotted. The public timetable shows it takes a half hour from Hicksville RR to WWM.

If the N49 is late to Broadway Mall and something goes wrong on the deadhead, the N79 will leave WWM late. Four minutes doesn't allow a lot for tme for mishaps.

I live in New Rochelle and it's NOT worth it to spend gas and tolls on the Throgs Neck Bridge. I'll try to come up with a way to find out if it's true.:cool:

I don't know the route google maps plotted. The public timetable shows it takes a half hour from Hicksville RR to WWM.

If the N49 is late to Broadway Mall and something goes wrong on the deadhead, the N79 will leave WWM late. Four minutes doesn't allow a lot for tme for mishaps.

I live in New Rochelle and it's NOT worth it to spend gas and tolls on the Throgs Neck Bridge. I'll try to come up with a way to find out if it's true.:cool:

They don't have to use the transit routing if its a deadhead from hicksville. The bus is already going north on N Broadway and can simply go down to Jericho turnpike and then go to 110. Or LIE to 110.

Wasn't their picks mostly LIB's existing schedules/picks?

They don't have to use the transit routing if its a deadhead from hicksville. The bus is already going north on N Broadway and can simply go down to Jericho turnpike and then go to 110. Or LIE to 110.

I took another look at the public timetables for 78/79 and 48/49. The N49 operator could deadhead to Hicksville RR and swap his bus for the N79 and take the N79 to WWM. The N79 operator would take the OOS N49 to the depot. The N79 is scheduled to arrive at the train station at 9:53. The N49 operator would have to hustle (maybe waltz) to the train station to make the swap.;)

I took another look at the public timetables for 78/79 and 48/49. The N49 operator could deadhead to Hicksville RR and swap his bus for the N79 and take the N79 to WWM. The N79 operator would take the OOS N49 to the depot. The N79 is scheduled to arrive at the train station at 9:53. The N49 operator would have to hustle (maybe waltz) to the train station to make the swap.;)

The n79 makes the full trip to WWM. Look at the Hempstead to Hicksville side it runs later and lines up.

The n79 makes the full trip to WWM. Look at the Hempstead to Hicksville side it runs later and lines up.

I see I have to explain in greater detail because you missed the nuance.

The N49 operator deadheads to Hicksville RR, gets off the bus and gets onto the N79 bus and finishes the trip to WWM and the return trip.

The N79 operator gets off the bus and gets on the OOS N49 and deadheads to the depot.

I see I have to explain in greater detail because you missed the nuance.

The N49 operator deadheads to Hicksville RR, gets off the bus and gets onto the N79 bus and finishes the trip to WWM and the return trip.

The N79 operator gets off the bus and gets on the OOS N49 and deadheads to the depot.

They don't switch drivers only where there is a breakdown.

They don't switch drivers only where there is a breakdown.

Here in NYC, you do occasionally see drivers relieve each other, usually at the stop right outside of a depot. For instance, on the S53, sometimes the bus will be traveling Port Richmond-bound, and then at Jewett Avenue, the B/O gets off and another one gets on to finish the run for the last few stops to Richmond Terrace, and then the new B/O does another trip to Brooklyn. I've seen this done Brooklyn-bound and also on the S46.

If the MTA is doing this, it doesn't seem out of the question that NICE would be doing this as well, since they keep talking about how they're trying to get increased productivity out of the workers.

I found another glitch n78 driver starts at 555 doing n79 shorturn comes back as 79 then goes back as 78 then goes roundtrip then at 955 he goes to plainview newtown then deadheads to the yard smh again.

What does smh mean?

What is the source of your information? Why would the 955 that arrives Plainview at 10:44 not take the 11:00 trip to Mineola and go OOS at Mineola?

What does smh mean?

What is the source of your information? Why would the 955 that arrives Plainview at 10:44 not take the 11:00 trip to Mineola and go OOS at Mineola?

Smh is shaking my head

The driver again told me goes he oos then split shifts onto the n24 later in the day.

Archived