Relief Locations

nostalgia

An employee shuttle for what? Fixed route NICE drivers are either based out of Mitchell Field or in Rockville Centre, para transit drivers are based out of their facility on Stewart Ave. A driver reports to work at the facility they work out of and is assigned a bus, they are not shuttled to and from where the routes begin/end.

Is this what you are asking or something else?

An employee shuttle for what? Fixed route NICE drivers are either based out of Mitchell Field or in Rockville Centre, para transit drivers are based out of their facility on Stewart Ave. A driver reports to work at the facility they work out of and is assigned a bus, they are not shuttled to and from where the routes begin/end.

Is this what you are asking or something else?

I wanted to know if there was any on street relief. Based your response, the answer is "no." Every operator has a pull out, pull in. A shuttle to Roosevelt Field would eliminate the need for some pull outs as a bus would stay on the street.

In Manhattan, some operators take the subway or bus from the depot to a relief point. They don't take their bus out of the depot.

There is no need for something like this. Unlike the city all of the routes are not run 2h hours a day. Like I said there is no need to bring the drivers from Mitchel Field to Roosevelt Field instead of the other way around. The buses are fueled and clean at Mitchel Field, if a driver had a small problem with the bus he/she would be forced to take it back to Mitchel Field, or wait for a mechanic instead of just refusing the bus at the depot. CEO of NICE Bus, Mike Setzer, said the public would notice cleaner buses, shuttling employs to start runs would mean also having to shuttle cleaners over to clean buses or have drivers take out buses that are not clean that have been used on a previous shift.

I've only noticed one bus that was even properly washed, body and Alcoas, and that was an Orion V last week. Every other bus has either only had its wheels polished or hasn't been cleaned inside or out.

You're right I was on was on an orion V 6 30 am first run and the bus was dirty from the night before.

The question(s) as posed, are confusing.... the need for an employee shuttle, and a b/o needing to get to/from a relief point are two different things.... employee shuttles don't take b/o's to relief points.....

I'll say this....

New Jersey transit has employee shuttles; usually a certain amt. of buses that take drivers back to w/e depot, after having ended their (AM) runs at PABT .... If you're ever around PABT, or driving along the NJT & see an NJT bus signed "HOWELL", that's an employee shuttle going back to howell bus garage.....

I concur w/ Burrstone... there is no need for anything like that in Nassau county....

The question(s) as posed, are confusing.... the need for an employee shuttle, and a b/o needing to get to/from a relief point are two different things.... employee shuttles don't take b/o's to relief points.....

I'll say this....

New Jersey transit has employee shuttles (well, they're not really called that, but it's usually a couple of designated buses that take drivers back to w/e depot, after having ended their runs at PABT)....

I concur w/ Burrstone... there is no need for anything like that in Nassau county....

OK. Employee shuttles are used in Washington, DC's bus system to take employees from the Landover depot to the New Carrollton metro station to relieve drivers. I was wondering if NICE had a similar arrangement because of the proximity of MF depot to RF.

I think the OP means driver reliefs like they have on the B8 at 18th Ave & 86th Street, B46 at Utica & Fillmore, on the B41 where the Bergen Beach & KP route split and the BX12 SBS at Pelham Bay Station, BX36 at WF Square and the B44 at the junction.

Old driver pops the parking brake, leaves the bus and a new driver comes on and continues the route, the bus stays in service while this happens.

The N20 and N22 could most certainty use driver reliefs, the run time on those routes is about the same as the B8, 41, 44 LTD, 46, etc.

As for the Driver shuttles, no need for NICE to have those, in the MTA, the SI & UP depots use shuttles to transfers drivers from the home depot to Quill to pick up their bus for service. A lot of the MCI's layover at Quill during the middays.

The B8 does have some runs where the driver gets relieved and takes the (D) train back to JG depot and sign out or w/e and go home.

There is or was vice versa runs on the B8, I remember last year being stuck on the B8 quite a few times as the Driver relief didn't show up yet, Driver would come from the (D) train station get on the bus and drive it the rest of the route...

I think the OP means driver reliefs like they have on the B8 at 18th Ave & 86th Street, B46 at Utica & Fillmore, on the B41 where the Bergen Beach & KP route split and the BX12 SBS at Pelham Bay Station, BX36 at WF Square and the B44 at the junction.

Old driver pops the parking brake, leaves the bus and a new driver comes on and continues the route, the bus stays in service while this happens.

As for the Driver shuttles, no need for NICE to have those, in the MTA, the SI & UP depots use shuttles to transfers drivers from the home depot to Quill to pick up their bus for service. A lot of the MCI's layover at Quill during the middays.

The B8 does have some runs where the driver gets relieved and takes the (D) train back to JG depot and sign out or w/e and go home.

You have described exactly what I was trying to describe. Based on your answer NICE only has pull outs/pull ins.:(

You're right I was on was on an orion V 6 30 am first run and the bus was dirty from the night before.

Interesting...

Ironically I had a driver change mid route on the 10 15 n49 this morning from hempstead. They changed at Front st and Uniondale ave.

...and interesting.

OK. Employee shuttles are used in Washington, DC's bus system to take employees from the Landover depot to the New Carrollton metro station to relieve drivers. I was wondering if NICE had a similar arrangement because of the proximity of MF depot to RF.

No a drivers run starts at their home depot. Also, you might also like to know that the RVC depot is a senior depot, drivers at RVC have chosen to go over there.

No a drivers run starts at their home depot. Also, you might also like to know that the RVC depot is a senior depot, drivers at RVC have chosen to go over there.

I assumed that 1) picks are based on seniority, 2) each depot handles certain routes and 3) an operator wants to work at the depot closest to home.

Yep, I'm not sure, and not necessarily...

Edit...

2) each depot handles certain routes

Actually no, now that I think about it... RVC is is only open Mon-Fri, the operators only work Mon-Fri, that's one of the reasons it's so appealing. I know for a fact that both depots cover some runs like the N4 and N19 are two that pop into my head quickly.... ...and on Sat and Sun MF covers all the routes that run, because RVC is closed.

Slightly little off-topic, few days ago, I got on LGA Airport Shuttle Bus (A), B/O got relief at Bus Parking by Marine Air Terminal new driver came in.

100th St Depot operators has relief at 3rd Av/100 St.

When buses go down Lex Av, B/O stop at 102nd St to drop off/pickup passenger, then stop by depot at 100th St for wait for new driver.

MHV Relief for M4/M5/M11 intersect at 135th St/Broadway.

M34/M34A SBS at 9th Av I think going eastbound.

Slightly little off-topic, few days ago, I got on LGA Airport Shuttle Bus (A), B/O got relief at Bus Parking by Marine Air Terminal new driver came in.

Sorry to keep this one off-topic, but who operates the LGA shuttles? PANYNJ uses Academy at EWR (the only Orion VIIs in the freakin' state), so I'm sure the LGA and JFK shuttles are privately-operated as well.

100th St Depot operators has relief at 3rd Av/100 St.

When buses go down Lex Av, B/O stop at 102nd St to drop off/pickup passenger, then stop by depot at 100th St for wait for new driver.

MHV Relief for M4/M5/M11 intersect at 135th St/Broadway.

M34/M34A SBS at 9th Av I think going eastbound.

I have a long list of relief points for NYC Transit that came from BusTalk on nycsubway.com

Sorry to keep this one off-topic, but who operates the LGA shuttles? PANYNJ uses Academy at EWR (the only Orion VIIs in the freakin' state), so I'm sure the LGA and JFK shuttles are privately-operated as well.

At JFK and LGA the PANYNJ buses are operated by a company called airserv.

Slightly little off-topic,

Sorry to keep this one off-topic,

I can't see how your posts are off topic, the title only said "Relief Locations" even though it was posted in the N.I.C.E thread it didn't specifically say that it was meant to be about N.I.C.E Relief Locations.

I saw a Rockville centre depot bus on the N78 today

Happens once in a while I think its during the afternoon where some drivers do 1 go around to Plainview and back. To my Knowledge if only seen 2 drivers that do more then 1 go around they are a heavy set black man and a 50's year old white guy.

I saw a Rockville centre depot bus on the N78 today
Happens once in a while I think its during the afternoon where some drivers do 1 go around to Plainview and back. To my Knowledge if only seen 2 drivers that do more then 1 go around they are a heavy set black man and a 50's year old white guy.

I've seen Rockville Centre buses on the N20 numerous times before. Not so often, but I do remember seeing them.

• 11 months later...

Today I was on the 12:15 S1 out of Amityville RR, at 12:23 the bus pulled over near 110 & Ritter Ave.  Driver starts doing paperwork, a couple of minutes later another EBT driver gets on the bus to relieve the current B/O.  I don't know if this was a lunch relief or a change of shifts...?  Interesting though (especially the location)...

Archived