Has anyone gotten called for Car Inspector recently?

harryo714

Hi,

First post and GREAT SITE! I appreciate everyone's experience and info. Been lurking here for a few years... I had a few questions regarding CarInsp. and didn't want to start another thread. I searched as well and only found general info.

A family member applied for the upcoming CarInsp. test on 03/03/12 back in Nov. of 11'. Last week he recieved a letter requesting to report to 180 Livingston. He was very surprised at this "cart-before-the-horse" order of things. On 02/13 he reported to 180 Livingston with all of his paperwork in order and unlike many who were called, he also brought along his English language and communications skills B) Everything went well and is waiting for the next step. In the meantime he had some questions he wanted me to ask. He does not have much computer access so I'm asking questions that are relayed to me. Any help would be great.

1.) How do most Car Inspectors arrive at work? Subway?...Show ID at the last stop and Ride into the yard? Automobile?

2.) Of all the yards, which locations have inspections shops? (trying to narrow down all the possible commuting routes)

3.) Car Insp. and Car Maint. titles seem to have similar duty descriptions and pay. What are the big differences between these two titles?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Thanks again in advance. :tup:

Hi,

First post and GREAT SITE! I appreciate everyone's experience and info. Been lurking here for a few years... I had a few questions regarding CarInsp. and didn't want to start another thread. I searched as well and only found general info.

A family member applied for the upcoming CarInsp. test on 03/03/12 back in Nov. of 11'. Last week he recieved a letter requesting to report to 180 Livingston. He was very surprised at this "cart-before-the-horse" order of things. On 02/13 he reported to 180 Livingston with all of his paperwork in order and unlike many who were called, he also brought along his English language and communications skills B) Everything went well and is waiting for the next step. In the meantime he had some questions he wanted me to ask. He does not have much computer access so I'm asking questions that are relayed to me. Any help would be great.

1.) How do most Car Inspectors arrive at work? Subway?...Show ID at the last stop and Ride into the yard? Automobile?

2.) Of all the yards, which locations have inspections shops? (trying to narrow down all the possible commuting routes)

3.) Car Insp. and Car Maint. titles seem to have similar duty descriptions and pay. What are the big differences between these two titles?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Thanks again in advance. :tup:

Yes, Many people who applied for the last CI exam got called for a temporary/provisional position as CI. If they don't pass the exam, they will get laid off, thats the bad part about it.

1.) Most CI (Car Inspectors) people i know travel to work by Car because its more convenience. But there are few people who does travel by train..... Not all trains come to the yard after the last stop. They go back for the next trip. From what i know, you are not allowed to ride the train from the station to the yard unless you are a RCI and Ask permission from the Control Center through your Radio. As a CI you have to get out at the station and walk/take the bus to the Yard.

2.) From what i know, every yard has a Shop. (Let me know if you want the list of them)

3.) I think Car Maint. title is no longer exist. All Car Maint Group titles was combined into one Title called Car Inspector, Assignment B.

Thats from what i know.... If anyone else want to add onto this...please.

• 2 weeks later...

I started in October as a CI

1) I drive in from New Jersey, in my barn it is about 50/50, as was said no one takes the train into the barn they get off at the station and walk in.

2) After a couple wonderful days at Livingston Street filling out papers and watching the most boring PowerPoint presentations available it is off to Coney Island for 2 1/2 weeks of school.

At the end off school there will be a mini pick based on their list number, I was in a class of 30 people and was third or forth to pick among the available list of jobs tours and locations. Last person on the list has no choice... in our class he went to Coney island overhaul shop nights!

best of luck

Archived